• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WPC: Smiles all around as McNabb introduced

Pappas

http://web.warpathconfidential.com/?p=3286

mcnabb-presser.JPG

Photo by Brian Murphy

Smiles all around as McNabb introduced

By John Pappas
Warpath Confidential Editor

It was a big occasion at Redskins Park Tuesday as Donovan McNabb was introduced as the new quarterback of the Washington Redskins.

News trucks lined the parking lot. Every major network was present, as were the Washington and Philadelphia press corps, local television and sports radio stations. Then there were the cadre of current and former players. Guys like Art Monk, Sam Huff, Mike Sellers, DeAngelo Hall, Mike Williams, and others.

Everyone wanted to see the new starting quarterback for the Redskins.

Prior to the press conference, the Redskins facility in Ashburn buzzed with excitement. Which is understandable as the trade that brought McNabb to Washington from Philadelphia is huge news around the league, representing the biggest story to date this free agency period.

Click the link above to read the rest of the story...

I just wonder how long those smiles will last--

I seem to recall many similar press conferences with fanfare and high hopes--a somewhat similar picture of Deion Sanders comes to mind (not that Deion is an entirely fair comparison).

Reminds of that Eagles song: "New Kid in Town."

I seem to recall many similar press conferences with fanfare and high hopes--a somewhat similar picture of Deion Sanders comes to mind (not that Deion is an entirely fair comparison).

Sol, if I didn't know better, I would say there was a tinge of cynicism in your comments...

:)

Like I've said a couple times, unless you were happy building around Campbell for the next several years and continuing to *hope* he became 'that guy', I think it's hard to criticize this move. Unless you were of the former mindset, you knew we had to find a solution (be it relatively short-term or long-term) at QB and that it would cost draft picks or players to find him. That's just a fact.

Say what you will, but there's no way you can argue we are a worse team today than we were last Friday. I understand this move might scare up phantoms of failed strategies past, but this is a different regime, and Shanahan strikes me as bright enough to know he can't buy success with nothing but a handful of retreads.

but remember there is a New Sheriff in town

Sol, if I didn't know better, I would say there was a tinge of cynicism in your comments...

:)
Never John, never! :)
Boone said:
Say what you will, but there's no way you can argue we are a worse team today than we were last Friday. I understand this move might scare up phantoms of failed strategies past, but this is a different regime, and Shanahan strikes me as bright enough to know he can't buy success with nothing but a handful of retreads.
I don't disagree with you J. I think we are definitely a better team as I'd take McNabb over Campbell almost any day.

My thoughts on this (or cynicism or doubt) come more out of this being a reflection--if faint--of Reskins moves from the early Snyder era. I'm not saying it's fair and I don't think that McNabb is done--I just worry that we're looking for a quick fix (again) for a long term problem.

I don't doubt that there is a plan in place--I just worry, because this move harkens back to big smiles from years past, that we're wading into familiar and unsuccessful territory.

As ever, I hope I'm wrong--but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll confess, I'd actually feel better about having a McNabb if we also drafted a QB of the future to serve as his understudy (and we may yet do just that). One other thing we 'learned' from the past (you know, during those storied SB winning days of yesteryear) is that you don't need to spend 1st and 2nd round picks to build a great offensive line. We don't need a 'dominant' OT. We need a solid workmanlike offensive line that works well together.

Which I guess, J, leaves us asking the question of how skilled of a draft guru Bruce Allen (together with Shanahan) is and whether he has the skills to pick the right players and/or successfully negotiate the draft.

I don't think it was all smiles. With his introduction with the #5 jersey, I can't imagine Colt Brennan is all smiles. :cry:

I don't think it was all smiles. With his introduction with the #5 jersey, I can't imagine Colt Brennan is all smiles. :cry:

Now that is funny.

It might comfort you to know that Colt wore 15 in college and with the departure of Collins, and advent of McNabb, he has been assigned his college number again.

Now that is funny.

It might comfort you to know that Colt wore 15 in college and with the departure of Collins, and advent of McNabb, he has been assigned his college number again.

Yeah, I was reminded of that after I posted this. I still think Colt is more than likely gone and we end up with Lefavour somehow.

And, at the root of it all, I got a "Special Offer" from the danny yesterday, saying I could be among the first to get a McNabb jersey!!!!!!!

:thewave::allhail::djsmilie:

After all, isn't it that what it's all about?

It's simple

Like I've said a couple times, unless you were happy building around Campbell for the next several years and continuing to *hope* he became 'that guy', I think it's hard to criticize this move. Unless you were of the former mindset, you knew we had to find a solution (be it relatively short-term or long-term) at QB and that it would cost draft picks or players to find him. That's just a fact.

For me at least this is pretty simple and easy to explain why I don't like the move but still recognize it as the best thing for our team. Your comments about Campbell are spot on but that's beside the point. The point here is one of the things that sucks about the modern game...a hated decade long rival is coming to town and all the trash we talked about the guy (if you talked trash that is) comes off hollow and pretty stupid (yea I know by definition it's stupid but you know what I mean...I think?).

Once again a hated rival has come to town and the different jersey is supposed to make us forget the last 11 years we've been rooting in football terms for his demise.

Just a tough pill to swallow for some even if we know it's the best thing for the team.

At least it's not Romo.

And, at the root of it all, I got a "Special Offer" from the danny yesterday, saying I could be among the first to get a McNabb jersey!!!!!!!

After all, isn't it that what it's all about?

No worries Sarge, I got one too and I am not a season ticket holder.

No worries Sarge, I got one too and I am not a season ticket holder.

Now I'm not feeling so special. Although I was looking forward to not getting anymore special "danny offers" after I let my tickets expire. Guess once the danny has your name, you're condemed to get that stuff forever

I'll confess, I'd actually feel better about having a McNabb if we also drafted a QB of the future to serve as his understudy (and we may yet do just that). One other thing we 'learned' from the past (you know, during those storied SB winning days of yesteryear) is that you don't need to spend 1st and 2nd round picks to build a great offensive line. We don't need a 'dominant' OT. We need a solid workmanlike offensive line that works well together.

While I agree with the sentiment about the OL in general, in specific the left tackle position is different.

Can anyone name a single left tackle that's made it to the Pro Bowl (other than Joe Jacoby) that wasn't drafted in the first round?

Bueller??? Anyone?

While I agree with the sentiment about the OL in general, in specific the left tackle position is different.

Can anyone name a single left tackle that's made it to the Pro Bowl (other than Joe Jacoby) that wasn't drafted in the first round?

Bueller??? Anyone?

Flozell Adams
Marcus McNeill (although his career has dropped off big time)

EDIT: Matt Light (cheated for that one, lol)

Chad Clifton (only one pro bowl, that surprised me)

Last edited by a moderator:
Boone, I'd bet dollars to donuts that Shanahan drafts Skelton, LeFevour or Snead in the later rounds of this draft.

Flozell Adams
Marcus McNeill (although his career has dropped off big time)

EDIT: Matt Light (cheated for that one, lol)

Chad Clifton (only one pro bowl, that surprised me)

And all of those were drafted in the 2nd round with the 38th, 50th, 48th and 44th picks respectively.

I think it's fair to say that you need to draft a left tackle in the first two rounds to get a high level player to protect your QB's blindside. It's not a position you can fill in later rounds.

Anyone else puzzled about our reported interest in Flozell Adams? I can reason out all of our other moves but if we bring this guy in I’d have to draw the line. Adams is done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.