A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-14-09
    Posts
    208
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default WPC: Smiles all around as McNabb introduced

    http://web.warpathconfidential.com/?p=3286


    Photo by Brian Murphy

    Smiles all around as McNabb introduced

    By John Pappas
    Warpath Confidential Editor

    It was a big occasion at Redskins Park Tuesday as Donovan McNabb was introduced as the new quarterback of the Washington Redskins.

    News trucks lined the parking lot. Every major network was present, as were the Washington and Philadelphia press corps, local television and sports radio stations. Then there were the cadre of current and former players. Guys like Art Monk, Sam Huff, Mike Sellers, DeAngelo Hall, Mike Williams, and others.

    Everyone wanted to see the new starting quarterback for the Redskins.

    Prior to the press conference, the Redskins facility in Ashburn buzzed with excitement. Which is understandable as the trade that brought McNabb to Washington from Philadelphia is huge news around the league, representing the biggest story to date this free agency period.

    Click the link above to read the rest of the story...
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  2. #2

    Join Date
    04-12-09
    Location
    O'Malley's Forsaken Borough
    Posts
    253
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Colgate

    Default

    I just wonder how long those smiles will last--

    I seem to recall many similar press conferences with fanfare and high hopes--a somewhat similar picture of Deion Sanders comes to mind (not that Deion is an entirely fair comparison).

    Reminds of that Eagles song: "New Kid in Town."
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    a/k/a "iheartskins"

  3. #3
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-14-09
    Posts
    208
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pravda View Post
    I just wonder how long those smiles will last--

    I seem to recall many similar press conferences with fanfare and high hopes--a somewhat similar picture of Deion Sanders comes to mind (not that Deion is an entirely fair comparison).

    Reminds of that Eagles song: "New Kid in Town."
    Sol, if I didn't know better, I would say there was a tinge of cynicism in your comments...

    0 0 0 0
     
     

  4. #4

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,525
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    93
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    Like I've said a couple times, unless you were happy building around Campbell for the next several years and continuing to *hope* he became 'that guy', I think it's hard to criticize this move. Unless you were of the former mindset, you knew we had to find a solution (be it relatively short-term or long-term) at QB and that it would cost draft picks or players to find him. That's just a fact.

    Say what you will, but there's no way you can argue we are a worse team today than we were last Friday. I understand this move might scare up phantoms of failed strategies past, but this is a different regime, and Shanahan strikes me as bright enough to know he can't buy success with nothing but a handful of retreads.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  5. #5

    Join Date
    03-30-10
    Location
    Camden,N.C.
    Posts
    307
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Army

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pravda View Post
    I just wonder how long those smiles will last--

    I seem to recall many similar press conferences with fanfare and high hopes--a somewhat similar picture of Deion Sanders comes to mind (not that Deion is an entirely fair comparison).

    Reminds of that Eagles song: "New Kid in Town."

    but remember there is a New Sheriff in town
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Winning is a habit" - VINCE LOMBARDI

  6. #6

    Join Date
    04-12-09
    Location
    O'Malley's Forsaken Borough
    Posts
    253
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Colgate

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pappas View Post
    Sol, if I didn't know better, I would say there was a tinge of cynicism in your comments...

    Never John, never!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boone
    Say what you will, but there's no way you can argue we are a worse team today than we were last Friday. I understand this move might scare up phantoms of failed strategies past, but this is a different regime, and Shanahan strikes me as bright enough to know he can't buy success with nothing but a handful of retreads.
    I don't disagree with you J. I think we are definitely a better team as I'd take McNabb over Campbell almost any day.

    My thoughts on this (or cynicism or doubt) come more out of this being a reflection--if faint--of Reskins moves from the early Snyder era. I'm not saying it's fair and I don't think that McNabb is done--I just worry that we're looking for a quick fix (again) for a long term problem.

    I don't doubt that there is a plan in place--I just worry, because this move harkens back to big smiles from years past, that we're wading into familiar and unsuccessful territory.

    As ever, I hope I'm wrong--but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was concerned.
    Last edited by Pravda; 04-06-10 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Typo fixing
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    a/k/a "iheartskins"

  7. #7

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,525
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    93
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    I'll confess, I'd actually feel better about having a McNabb if we also drafted a QB of the future to serve as his understudy (and we may yet do just that). One other thing we 'learned' from the past (you know, during those storied SB winning days of yesteryear) is that you don't need to spend 1st and 2nd round picks to build a great offensive line. We don't need a 'dominant' OT. We need a solid workmanlike offensive line that works well together.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  8. #8

    Join Date
    04-12-09
    Location
    O'Malley's Forsaken Borough
    Posts
    253
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Colgate

    Default

    Which I guess, J, leaves us asking the question of how skilled of a draft guru Bruce Allen (together with Shanahan) is and whether he has the skills to pick the right players and/or successfully negotiate the draft.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    a/k/a "iheartskins"

  9. #9
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,281
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    I don't think it was all smiles. With his introduction with the #5 jersey, I can't imagine Colt Brennan is all smiles.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  10. #10
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-14-09
    Posts
    208
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    I don't think it was all smiles. With his introduction with the #5 jersey, I can't imagine Colt Brennan is all smiles.
    Now that is funny.

    It might comfort you to know that Colt wore 15 in college and with the departure of Collins, and advent of McNabb, he has been assigned his college number again.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  11. #11
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,281
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pappas View Post
    Now that is funny.

    It might comfort you to know that Colt wore 15 in college and with the departure of Collins, and advent of McNabb, he has been assigned his college number again.
    Yeah, I was reminded of that after I posted this. I still think Colt is more than likely gone and we end up with Lefavour somehow.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  12. #12
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-09
    Location
    CTU
    Posts
    3,043
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Air Force

    Default

    And, at the root of it all, I got a "Special Offer" from the danny yesterday, saying I could be among the first to get a McNabb jersey!!!!!!!



    After all, isn't it that what it's all about?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Formerly known as ...............Sarge

  13. #13

    Join Date
    03-30-10
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,251
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default It's simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Like I've said a couple times, unless you were happy building around Campbell for the next several years and continuing to *hope* he became 'that guy', I think it's hard to criticize this move. Unless you were of the former mindset, you knew we had to find a solution (be it relatively short-term or long-term) at QB and that it would cost draft picks or players to find him. That's just a fact.

    Say what you will, but there's no way you can argue we are a worse team today than we were last Friday. I understand this move might scare up phantoms of failed strategies past, but this is a different regime, and Shanahan strikes me as bright enough to know he can't buy success with nothing but a handful of retreads.
    For me at least this is pretty simple and easy to explain why I don't like the move but still recognize it as the best thing for our team. Your comments about Campbell are spot on but that's beside the point. The point here is one of the things that sucks about the modern game...a hated decade long rival is coming to town and all the trash we talked about the guy (if you talked trash that is) comes off hollow and pretty stupid (yea I know by definition it's stupid but you know what I mean...I think?).

    Once again a hated rival has come to town and the different jersey is supposed to make us forget the last 11 years we've been rooting in football terms for his demise.

    Just a tough pill to swallow for some even if we know it's the best thing for the team.

    At least it's not Romo.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  14. #14
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,281
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    And, at the root of it all, I got a "Special Offer" from the danny yesterday, saying I could be among the first to get a McNabb jersey!!!!!!!



    After all, isn't it that what it's all about?

    No worries Sarge, I got one too and I am not a season ticket holder.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  15. #15
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-09
    Location
    CTU
    Posts
    3,043
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Air Force

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    No worries Sarge, I got one too and I am not a season ticket holder.
    Now I'm not feeling so special. Although I was looking forward to not getting anymore special "danny offers" after I let my tickets expire. Guess once the danny has your name, you're condemed to get that stuff forever
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Formerly known as ...............Sarge

  16. #16
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    08-03-09
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    1,267
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Michigan State

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    I'll confess, I'd actually feel better about having a McNabb if we also drafted a QB of the future to serve as his understudy (and we may yet do just that). One other thing we 'learned' from the past (you know, during those storied SB winning days of yesteryear) is that you don't need to spend 1st and 2nd round picks to build a great offensive line. We don't need a 'dominant' OT. We need a solid workmanlike offensive line that works well together.
    While I agree with the sentiment about the OL in general, in specific the left tackle position is different.

    Can anyone name a single left tackle that's made it to the Pro Bowl (other than Joe Jacoby) that wasn't drafted in the first round?

    Bueller??? Anyone?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by China View Post
    While I agree with the sentiment about the OL in general, in specific the left tackle position is different.

    Can anyone name a single left tackle that's made it to the Pro Bowl (other than Joe Jacoby) that wasn't drafted in the first round?

    Bueller??? Anyone?
    Flozell Adams
    Marcus McNeill (although his career has dropped off big time)

    EDIT: Matt Light (cheated for that one, lol)

    Chad Clifton (only one pro bowl, that surprised me)
    Last edited by Lanky Livingston; 04-07-10 at 10:04 AM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  18. #18

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    Boone, I'd bet dollars to donuts that Shanahan drafts Skelton, LeFevour or Snead in the later rounds of this draft.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  19. #19
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    08-03-09
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    1,267
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Michigan State

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    Flozell Adams
    Marcus McNeill (although his career has dropped off big time)

    EDIT: Matt Light (cheated for that one, lol)

    Chad Clifton (only one pro bowl, that surprised me)
    And all of those were drafted in the 2nd round with the 38th, 50th, 48th and 44th picks respectively.

    I think it's fair to say that you need to draft a left tackle in the first two rounds to get a high level player to protect your QB's blindside. It's not a position you can fill in later rounds.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.

  20. #20

    Vescere bracis meis

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Posts
    805
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    VCU

    Default

    Anyone else puzzled about our reported interest in Flozell Adams? I can reason out all of our other moves but if we bring this guy in I’d have to draw the line. Adams is done.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.
    H. L. Mencken

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WPC: For fans, McNabb will take some getting used to
    By Pappas in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-06-10, 07:17 AM
  2. Redskins Rule: Players Being Introduced
    By BGO in forum Redskins Video
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-09, 11:36 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •