• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Haynesworth on the move ?

I gotta admit, there were times this season I watched Big Al barely making it off the field before the next play, constantly struggling to get up after plays, or even missing games but when he was on the field his play made it possible for our rookie to receive single coverage much of the time allowing him to make the Pro-Bowl and allowed Andre Carter his best season on the Redskins.

I want him to stay. I think his presence on the line is nothing but beneficial, especially if he comes into camp in better shape than last year. But I also have to say, I am pleased that any trouble makers who think they can get away with "medium are being given a wake up call!

double post

Last edited:
they said on the NFL network that sources tell them the Redskins aren't done some more moves may be coming?..Anything ..What about Haynesworth for Brandon Marshall.??..would that be a good trade...?

Throw in a 3-4th rounder and we can talk. :)

The best DT in the game vs. a very very good WR? Not equal value, imo.

i think an interesting trade partner would be baltimore.

would you take gaither and the ravens 3rd for fat al?

that would be nice. Russell Okung in the first an our OL would be much closer to complete. A guard or center in the 3rd or 4th and we begin to look good on the OL.

As I've mentioned many times before, here and elsewhere, it doesn't take a lot to get into Shanahan's doghouse. It DOES, however, take a lot to get out of it. There was a reason he was nicknamed Little Napolean.

We all know about Herr Coughlin but Shanahan really isn't that far removed from him. Mike is a "my way or the highway" guy.

Right now, Al is in Mike's doghouse, deservedly or not. He's not really doing anything far removed from the norm around the NFL. Guys work out away from the team all over the league but that's not what Mike wants. Now, all of a sudden, Al is the bad guy. Was he in great shape last year? Nope, we all saw the evidence. Did he make our D-Line better last year? He sure did.....BIG TIME. Al wants to work out with the guy he worked with while with the Titans in order to get back to the All-Pro player he was with them. Mike doesn't want that. Jeff Fisher didn't have a problem with it but Mike does.

We're all buying into what Mike wants because, well, it's what Mike wants, he's the Head Coach and he has a couple Super Bowl rings.....from last century. I'm not here to do a slam job on Shanahan. I'm just pointing out what I've seen from him since he first became Head Coach of the Broncos until now. There's not a lot of give and take with him. It's too early to tell if he's learned from any of the mistakes he made with the Broncos but I certainly hope this talk of trading Haynesworth is being done for the right reasons and not just because Al's not working out with the team.

If you don't think he fits in with our Defensive scheme, fine. Trade him. I just don't understand why everyone has seemingly turned on Haynesworth and have made him out to be the bad guy in all of this. Considering last season was his first with a very dysfunctional team, I thought he played very well and I was happy to have him. Not sure how all that has changed.

Kinda makes me wonder if Mike Florio might have a point in this little piece he posted on PFT.

Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2010 11:03 PM ET
With the Redskins paying defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth a $21 million bonus last week, we're told that the practical length and value of his contract is three years, $16 million, with $9 million guaranteed.

As a league source opined, "Every team in the NFL would have interest in that."

The question is whether and to what extent the Redskins would want reimbursement of the money paid last week. And that question depends on whether the Redskins prefer cash or draft picks -- and whether the teams that want him are willing to give up cash or draft picks.

In our view, coach Mike Shanahan likely would prefer to stockpile picks.

We've confirmed that the Redskins definitely attempted to trade Haynesworth before the $21 million payment came due. Others have reported that the efforts continue, with the Titans and Rams the teams most frequently mentioned. Now that the financial package has been reduced to a ridiculously affordable $16 million over three years, someone will bite if the price is right.

Meaning, of course, is there a possible strategic situation in which the amount of money or, more importantly, the number and location in the draft of picks that could, in Shanahn's mind, if not in the minds of some of the fans, justify letting Big Al go? Personally, I was willing to put up with his periodic game absences for pain or rest, or whatever purposes, because I watched what happened when he came back into the game. Offenses had to adjust-big time-he did, after all, take up two blockers and free Carter for QB hunting. He's a fat, lazy, and probably petulant but game-changing DT. It'd be a shame to lose him. But is there a possibility we could gain something else we need just as badly-or worse?

I also admit, this is the first time I've gone into eyebrow-raised "What the hell?" mode regarding an apparent direction Shanny's taken-but, for all his shortcomings, including his historically relentless "my way or the highway" approach, he's football smart-so, despite my admitted misgivings, I'm letting him slide here and if Big Al goes bye-bye, I'll be looking for something in return that reassures my initial perception that the direction of things has indeed changed and if the occassional move looks "goofy" there is, in all probably, some kind of method to the apparent madness.

Part of this, I admit, is that the change with Allen/Shanahn running things is so much nicer to me than before that I'm still in the a-giant-weight-has-been-removed-from-my-soul mode. So, if I seem too forgiving of Shananigans, that's at least a small part of it.

Haynesworth wanting to work away from team has forced Shanahan's hand. If he says that is fine, then it will give perceived power to the "stars" of team not to come in.

Shanahan is the new coach and he has to gain control as boss right away. I'm sure they would like to have Haynesworth, if he would work with them. Hayneworth has complained about being a NT. With money he is being paid seems like he would do whatever asked. Maybe wrong, but his attitude seems to be another cancer on the team. I fully understand why Shanahan is having to do this.

As I've mentioned many times before, here and elsewhere, it doesn't take a lot to get into Shanahan's doghouse. It DOES, however, take a lot to get out of it. There was a reason he was nicknamed Little Napolean.

We all know about Herr Coughlin but Shanahan really isn't that far removed from him. Mike is a "my way or the highway" guy.

Right now, Al is in Mike's doghouse, deservedly or not. He's not really doing anything far removed from the norm around the NFL. Guys work out away from the team all over the league but that's not what Mike wants. Now, all of a sudden, Al is the bad guy. Was he in great shape last year? Nope, we all saw the evidence. Did he make our D-Line better last year? He sure did.....BIG TIME. Al wants to work out with the guy he worked with while with the Titans in order to get back to the All-Pro player he was with them. Mike doesn't want that. Jeff Fisher didn't have a problem with it but Mike does.

We're all buying into what Mike wants because, well, it's what Mike wants, he's the Head Coach and he has a couple Super Bowl rings.....from last century. I'm not here to do a slam job on Shanahan. I'm just pointing out what I've seen from him since he first became Head Coach of the Broncos until now. There's not a lot of give and take with him. It's too early to tell if he's learned from any of the mistakes he made with the Broncos but I certainly hope this talk of trading Haynesworth is being done for the right reasons and not just because Al's not working out with the team.

If you don't think he fits in with our Defensive scheme, fine. Trade him. I just don't understand why everyone has seemingly turned on Haynesworth and have made him out to be the bad guy in all of this. Considering last season was his first with a very dysfunctional team, I thought he played very well and I was happy to have him. Not sure how all that has changed.

My feeling is that the problem stems from the fact that Big Al was doing this before he met Shanahan. Not the best foot to start off on, is it? My mother taught 8th grade French for years, and always said she was a total hard ass when the year started, but would lighten up as things went along. You have to show them you mean business, especially after the lackadaisical approach of Zorn. He can lighten up later if he wants, but to begin, he needs to set the tone.

And really, are we talking about a huge commitment or sacrifice for Haynesworth to be there for the first programs? Really?

Sorry Jimbo, but there is no defending Haynesworth in this scenario. If a coach wants you to work out with the team, there is zero reason you shouldn't. The man just got paid $21 MIILLLLLLIIION dollars! Literally! Snyder cut him a check for $21 Million. BRING YOUR TRAINER TO DC! I mean, its 2 hours a day, like 3 days a week. And the Redskins facilities are open for AH to bring his guy there to work out with. Why does he HAVE to be apart from the team?

And I'm sorry, but there is no argument against his teammates seeing him working hard every day - his presence would be literally and figuratively monumental. The ONLY reason I can think of that he wants to be away from the park is that he wants to be able to be lazy. If he's here, he'll get called on that every time. Away, not so much.

Sorry Jimbo, but there is no defending Haynesworth in this scenario. If a coach wants you to work out with the team, there is zero reason you shouldn't. The man just got paid $21 MIILLLLLLIIION dollars! Literally! Snyder cut him a check for $21 Million. BRING YOUR TRAINER TO DC! I mean, its 2 hours a day, like 3 days a week. And the Redskins facilities are open for AH to bring his guy there to work out with. Why does he HAVE to be apart from the team?

And I'm sorry, but there is no argument against his teammates seeing him working hard every day - his presence would be literally and figuratively monumental. The ONLY reason I can think of that he wants to be away from the park is that he wants to be able to be lazy. If he's here, he'll get called on that every time. Away, not so much.

Can't that work BOTH ways? If you think he's being lazy, pay his trainer extra $$ for reports on his progress. Everyone says that Al should bring the guy to Ashburn. Does anyone ever think that this guy may have other clients and wants them centralized to him and not vice-versa?

Mike is certainly within his rights to want Haynesworth to train in Ashburn, but until these "voluntary" workouts/training sessions become mandatory, every FO in the NFL has to find a way to work around it. Right now, it appears to be a matter of trust. Shanny, based on Fatso's stamina last year, probably doesn't trust him to come into camp in top shape. Al probably doesn't trust trainers who have never worked with him to give him the personal attention he wants.

If Mike really has a huge problem with this, maybe he should put in a call to Jeff Fisher to get his take on it. Al played well for him in Tennessee and seemed motivated enough to make All-Pro. There's still no reason he can't do that here. We saw inklings last year and I think we have too much invested in him to trade him. He hasn't become a malcontent yet and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll get in shape and report to camp ready to go. If he's not in better shape than last year then all bets are off.

The NFL needs to stop dicking around with these quasi-mandatory voluntary workout programs. Either get the players to put it into the CBA and require them to show up, or back off and stop making it a test of wills. Perhaps they can make it more palatable by agreeing to release some salary money at that time (or somesuch), but this current charade is ridiculous.

I've also read today (Wash. Post, I believe) that Haynesworth took the second highest number of snaps last season (after Carter). For all the histrionics about being carried or helped off the field, he still found a way to get back on it more than most of our other DL. And this is a guy who weighs 350 lbs and routinely takes on double teams.

Last edited:
Can't that work BOTH ways? If you think he's being lazy, pay his trainer extra $$ for reports on his progress. Everyone says that Al should bring the guy to Ashburn. Does anyone ever think that this guy may have other clients and wants them centralized to him and not vice-versa?

Mike is certainly within his rights to want Haynesworth to train in Ashburn, but until these "voluntary" workouts/training sessions become mandatory, every FO in the NFL has to find a way to work around it. Right now, it appears to be a matter of trust. Shanny, based on Fatso's stamina last year, probably doesn't trust him to come into camp in top shape. Al probably doesn't trust trainers who have never worked with him to give him the personal attention he wants.

If Mike really has a huge problem with this, maybe he should put in a call to Jeff Fisher to get his take on it. Al played well for him in Tennessee and seemed motivated enough to make All-Pro. There's still no reason he can't do that here. We saw inklings last year and I think we have too much invested in him to trade him. He hasn't become a malcontent yet and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll get in shape and report to camp ready to go. If he's not in better shape than last year then all bets are off.

Reports are that Haynesworth doesn't have many friends in the locker room. Could it be because he does what he wants, and doesn't train with the team? I think that's part of it at least.

Other clients? If its THAT important for Haynesworth to work out with this guy, buy him out. He can afford it. Also, its not like the Redskins don't have tons of very good trainers on staff that Haynesworth has FREE access too. It sounds like a big whiny baby move - I want MY trainer and want to work out on MY terms! Waaaahh!

sounds to me just like Sean when he first signed with the Skins.

I wouldnt judge him just because he isnt super chum with everyone in the locker room or because he wants to do his own thing during VOLUNTARY workouts. when the required ones come around and he doesnt show up then talk trash. until then he is allowed to not show up if he doesnt want to.

True, but Sean came around, was more mature, and became a strong locker room presence and leader. I believe Sean started this transformation around age 26 - Haynesworth is going on 29 and still set in his petulant ways.

Does anyone know if he was at the workouts when he was with the Titans?

This whole thing has been blown out or proportion. Haynesworth already had plans, prior to Shanahan being named HC, to work out with his guy. Now, all of a sudden, he's become Emperor Palpatine. Shawn Springs, Clinton Portis and Laron Landry have done the same thing and I don't recall demands for them to be traded. It's not like Al isn't returning phone calls and you know his progress is going to be monitored.

Count me in the "Let's wait and see" camp.

Yes, this is the same guy he worked out with when he had his best seasons in TN. He's trying regain that form.

3 years is not that long of a time for some magical maturity to happen. Al really does remind me of how Sean was when he came here. It isnt that he is a jerk or doesnt want to be with the team but he knows what is good for his body and he doesnt want to waiver from that. Sean DID come around for sure but we all had patience with him to do so. It's only the start of Als second year...

Big Al doesn't have Joe Gibbs - the ultimate mentor - to help him along in the process either. And 3 years is an eternity, and if someone is still immature and childish at age 29, chances are age 30 isn't going to have some magical effect either. Just my 2 cents.

This whole thing has been blown out or proportion. Haynesworth already had plans, prior to Shanahan being named HC, to work out with his guy. Now, all of a sudden, he's become Emperor Palpatine. Shawn Springs, Clinton Portis and Laron Landry have done the same thing and I don't recall demands for them to be traded. It's not like Al isn't returning phone calls and you know his progress is going to be monitored.

Count me in the "Let's wait and see" camp.

And how exactly did that work out for Portis, Landry and Springs? Springs played well...eight games a year. Landry??? Are you kidding me? He is your proof of why this can work? Portis is the only case you may have an argument with, because he definitely had some success, while working out with the Miami boys.

I'm with Terry and Jimbo on this one. I think there's a lot of misinformation and much ado about nothing on this one. The biggest issue is Shanny feels his authority challenged and needs to lay down the law in his new joint.

Cripes I should just make a sig that says +1.

:anonymous:

And how exactly did that work out for Portis, Landry and Springs? Springs played well...eight games a year. Landry??? Are you kidding me? He is your proof of why this can work? Portis is the only case you may have an argument with, because he definitely had some success, while working out with the Miami boys.

The point is, when it first started going on with Portis, Springs and Landry I didn't hear people calling for them to be traded. Take a look around the NFL. Veterans all over the league work out on their own or with their own trainers.

Until we hear straight from Haynesworth that he's not going to cooperate and refuses to play NT, I'm calling everything overblown.

The first two minicamps are voluntary, however I will say that I expect Al to show up for BOTH of them IF he's still with the team and IF the team is not actively shopping him. If he's a no-show for something that important, I'll gladly join you in bashing him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.