A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
    BGO
    Honored Guest

Post ESPN's NFC East Blog: Does Campbell have any trade value?

As we continue to unpeel the stunning Donovan McNabb trade, it's time to ask whether Washington Redskins incumbent starter Jason Campbell has any trade value. He just turned 28 and he's in good health -- especially for a guy who played behind the Redskins' regrettable offensive line in '09.

ESPN 980 in Washington D.C. is reporting that Buffalo, Carolina, Oakland and Jacksonville have all showed interest in Campbell following Sunday's trade. And my colleague Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. thinks the Bills or Raiders would be wise to send a second-round pick in this month's draft to the Redskins for Campbell. I certainly think Campbell's a viable option for one of those teams, but not even Al Davis would trade away a second-rounder for the Skins quarterback.

Let's remember that the Redskins have spent the past couple of offseasons desperately searching for Campbell's replacement. That's not exactly how you drive up a player's trade value. I think the Redskins would eventually settle for a fourth- or fifth-round pick for Campbell. But I hope that doesn't happen.

Campbell's probably hoping for his outright release, so he can have a say in his next destination. It would be almost cruel to ask him to stick around with McNabb and Rex Grossman in 2010. And I don't think Mike Shanahan wants that scenario.

Shanahan and Campbell will meet this afternoon, according to The Washington Post. If I determine what's said in that meeting, you'll be the first to know.

More...
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indiana

Perusing other team's fan forums for their take on the McNabb trade-I've run across something interesting. There are quite a number of fans of other teams who are posting about how they'd like to see their team get Campbell as a back-up QB. Who? Some Colts fans, Saints fans, Seahawks fans-one of whom started a thread on how he would rather have Campbell than Whitehurst. Even one or two Patriot's fans mentioned JC as a possible. BTW, on one Saint's forum, one thread had a post or two asking if Colt Brennan was going to be traded because they'd like him too-this after they already nabbed Chase Daniel (remember him?) off our practice squad.

I'm still digging around but it looks like if the fans ran the show there'd be at least 8 or 9 teams in the Jason Campbell as back-up QB hunt.

Interesting.
    0 0 0 0

I'm giving it a 2-4 year window. Looking for improvement in all areas. Redskins, you're on the clock.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Army

i thought jason wanted to be a starter not a back-up bench warmer......don't know about his value but I know before the DM trade did not here anything about any teams wanting him.... so why all the interest all of a sudden..thinking we will take less for him now? ... I would love to have a second round pick for Jason..
    0 0 0 0

"Winning is a habit" - VINCE LOMBARDI

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaSkin43 View Post
    i thought jason wanted to be a starter not a back-up bench warmer......don't know about his value but I know before the DM trade did not here anything about any teams wanting him.... so why all the interest all of a sudden..thinking we will take less for him now? ... I would love to have a second round pick for Jason..

I'd love to get a second rounder as well for Jason, but I'm afraid his value has been driven down by Vinny's previous efforts and by us trading for McNabb. I'd be ecstatic with a 3rd, but more likely it'll be a 4th or 5th at best I'm afraid.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Navy Salisbury

3rd round pick with a compensatory pick in 2011.
    Oakland or Carolina........
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd like to get a third. More likely a 5th at best. Unless Oakland gets stupid.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I personally don't think Campbell is worth more than a fourth rounder, but who knows.

Mike Shanahan is excellent at dealing players for picks. We should know that first-hand. Maybe we could get two third rounders or something.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by EatSleepRedskin View Post
    I'd like to get a third. More likely a 5th at best. Unless Oakland gets stupid.
    Remember, you do have the ever entertaining Cryptkeeper running things out there-maybe he'll have one of his "Super-Sized Senior Moments" and offer a third and a fifth or something. You never know what Al's liable to do anymore.
    0 0 0 0

I'm giving it a 2-4 year window. Looking for improvement in all areas. Redskins, you're on the clock.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by servumtuum View Post
    Remember, you do have the ever entertaining Cryptkeeper running things out there-maybe he'll have one of his "Super-Sized Senior Moments" and offer a third and a fifth or something. You never know what Al's liable to do anymore.

We can only hope.

I like the idea, and hope it's true that several teams are interested in Campbell. If true, it will drive his price up, and we might be able to get a 4th for him. Anything higher than that, and I think Al Davis will be involved.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Deadman View Post
    3rd round pick with a compensatory pick in 2011.
    Oakland or Carolina........

Power of positive thought, my friend. Power of positive thought.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Virginia Tech

Determining JC's trade value in a vacuum is one thing--placing a particular round draft pick he's "worth" makes for good barroom conversation. But it doesn't really work that way in the NFL.

At the risk of going "duh" on you ... Campbell's going to be "worth" whatever the market determines. If only one team is serious about getting him they'll offer what they've determined he's worth. But if two or more teams are serious about him all bets are off. He may be "worth" only a 3rd or 4th if there's no competition for his services, but if there is he could easily get us that 2nd we gave up for McNabb right back.

I'm doing my part ... I just emailed Torresa's Future So Bright video to Al Davis, Buddy Nix, Gene Smith and Marty Hurney.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

Eschew obfuscation.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The folks I know say he does not have a lot of value. I think we are looking at a fourth or lower (probably 5th).

Plus, now everyone knows the Redskins want to deal him so, I don't think we can expect much.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Virginia Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Pappas View Post
    The folks I know say he does not have a lot of value. I think we are looking at a fourth or lower (probably 5th).

Plus, now everyone knows the Redskins want to deal him so, I don't think we can expect much.
    Shhhh. You'll wake Al.
    0 0 0 0

Eschew obfuscation.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i will lmao if we get a 2nd for JC. cause that would mean that we basically got mcnabb for a conditional 2011 3rd!

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mugsy27 View Post
    i will lmao if we get a 2nd for JC. cause that would mean that we basically got mcnabb for a conditional 2011 3rd!
    If we get a third for him, that would mean we got McNabb for a 2nd... Which isn't that bad either.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Om View Post
    Shhhh. You'll wake Al.

Kinda nice as a side note that we are not the laughing stock of the league by any stretch anymore? Al's got that sewn up.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Army

I think we get the best QB or close to the best in our division and the Eagels now have the worst.....Andy Reid must of had a hangover on Easter Morning.....there future may or may not be brighter but I think we got DM for a far price but really can't answer that question untill a fews years go by.
    0 0 0 0

"Winning is a habit" - VINCE LOMBARDI

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

No way to evaluate Kevin Kolb on 2 games of NFL history. Just as the Packers with Aaron Rodgers, the Eagles think they know what they know - that he's got what it takes to be a long-term NFL starter. They may be right, or they could be horribly wrong. We'll know soon enough. It's fair to say the Eagles have the most inexperienced QB now. I don't know about 'worst in the division'. Too early to know.
    0 0 0 0

You ain't bonafide

User Tag List