• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Clausen falling?

brandies

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ESPN's Chris Mortensen predicts that Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen will not be drafted in the top-20 picks.

This isn't a report; Mortensen is guessing. He notes that plenty of teams "like" Clausen, but so far have been unable to find "reasons to love him." Mort predicts that the Bills will pass on Clausen if he falls to No. 9. Unless the Jaguars' (drafting 10th) interest in Clausen is sincere, a serious free fall could begin at that point, perhaps to as late as Minnesota (No. 30).

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&rwr=1

I could go for a trade down and pick him up later in the first with some later picks for OL.

How much better is Jimmy Clausen than Colt McCoy? I am not so sure that if you take away Clausen's experience in the pro style offense that there is that much of a difference. What do you'll think?

I think Mortensen's smoking something. No way Clausen makes it past the first 10 picks. I'll bet the farm on it.

I herd on the NFL network that McCoy was a 3rd or 4th rounder at best and Clausen was a mid to late 2nd rounder as well as Bradford was a late after 20 pick in the first round.

I think you must've mis-heard on Bradford. It's considered an almost certain lock that if the Rams don't pick Bradford #1, he won't make it past the Redskins. McCoy won't make it past round 2 either. There are two many teams that need a QB for him to make it out of round 2.

I think you must've mis-heard on Bradford. It's considered an almost certain lock that if the Rams don't pick Bradford #1, he won't make it past the Redskins. McCoy won't make it past round 2 either. There are two many teams that need a QB for him to make it out of round 2.

what i actually meant was that this is where they should be being drafted... it was a guest analyst for Pro Football Digiest.... i'm sure also the Rams are going to draft Bradford 1st....Pick

Ahhh...gotcha, as in 'value'.

Only point I'd make as that if the history of the NFL draft and the so-called experts has shown anything, it's that there are no experts. Look at how many top-pick QBs have floundered against all 'conventional wisdom'. Projecting success in the NFL from college film is nearly impossible. That's why I laugh at all those writing off Tim Tebow, but ready to crown Claussen a surefire NFL success because he's got a 'pro arm' and played a pro-style offense. We could very well find in 4 years that it's Tebow who's a shocking success and Claussen a trivia question.

Bradford is a lock at #1 barring maybe Bradford refusing to sign a contract prior to being drafted.

Clausen will most likely go either go #4 (Skins), #7 Browns (it's more possible than you may think) or #9 to the Bills......if he falls past #9 I would expect a team to either move up and take him in the 20's. My opinion, he doesn't fall out of the top 10.

McCoy has been getting good but not excellent reviews about his pro day. Mike Mayock said he's a solid early 2nd rounder- late 1st rounder.

I tend to agree with him.

Oh, and Tebow will go 2nd round although I personally think that's a major reach.

We could very well find in 4 years that it's Tebow who's a shocking success and Claussen a trivia question.

I still think Tebow could be the best QB in this draft in 2-3 years if he can get the muscle memory, mechanics and defensive reads down.

Guy is a leader.

Clausen is not a value pick in the top 15. If he is available at the end of the round or beginning of Round 2 that would seem to be a spot where a team could move up to get him and be justified in doing so.

I really doubt Shanahan is going to use his first marquee draft pick at #4 overall on a player who has this many questions.

Parcells punted on taking a quarterback in Round 1 in 2008, opting instead for a LT, and I think that's the way the Redskins should go as well.

It may be a deep draft for certain positions, but qb is not one of them.

myself I really don't care as long as we get a QB that perfroms well (like better than the one we have starting now). I am over the Jason Campbell era. I was one of those people who kept saying he was gonna get better this year ... he was gonna find his groove and be the QB that he was suppose to be.....and every year the experts kept making excusses as to why he was not perfroming as they thought he should be....but after 5 games into last year i gave up on him ... I'm ready to move on...next

Clausen is not a value pick in the top 15. If he is available at the end of the round or beginning of Round 2 that would seem to be a spot where a team could move up to get him and be justified in doing so.

I really doubt Shanahan is going to use his first marquee draft pick at #4 overall on a player who has this many questions.

Parcells punted on taking a quarterback in Round 1 in 2008, opting instead for a LT, and I think that's the way the Redskins should go as well.

It may be a deep draft for certain positions, but qb is not one of them.

Tom Brady wasn't a value pick in the Top 15 either. In all reality, VALUE is a hindsight thing. Maybe we should use the term "estimated value" because his true value won't be known for a while. Also, I don't see Clausen having as many questions as you do but I DO agree we should take the Parcells route, unless the offer to trade down is too good.

I just don't see Clausen becoming a member of the Redskins. I don't think Shanahan will take him at number 4. However I don't see him being there past the Bills. If Bradford does go #1 then I think the Skins will take an OT in the first and get a QB in the 2nd. McCoy, Tebow or maybe even LeFevour.

I don’t usually watch the Jim Rome show but I saw where Jimmy Clausen was going to be on so I decided to watch. He didn’t say anything wrong but I wasn’t blown away by him either. He mentioned that he was coming to visit the Skins soon (I think it was today actually) but he wasn’t going to work out for them. I think he said they had a Pro day planned for the 15th at ND.

On the same show his forum guests seemed to both be very impressed by him, for whatever that’s worth. One was a morning radio host in LA and the other was a writer I’ve never heard of. Their opinion of Clausen means no more to me than mine should mean to you on this subject.

Just like every other QB in this draft, including Bradford, he has some question marks as well as strengths.

Tom Brady wasn't a value pick in the Top 15 either. In all reality, VALUE is a hindsight thing. Maybe we should use the term "estimated value" because his true value won't be known for a while. Also, I don't see Clausen having as many questions as you do but I DO agree we should take the Parcells route, unless the offer to trade down is too good.

Jimbo just hit it. None of these guys has any real value yet. Not a single one. It is all estimated or, to use the dirtiest word in player evaluation, potential value. Rather like holding stock options in a company rather than real stock. You can't trade them or sell them. They are just paper till they are exercised.

To add even more weirdness to the whole thing, a lot of that potential value comes from the team doing the picking and not the player. If the player is a bad fit for the team that chooses him, no amount of talent in the world will correct the situation and make them live up to the estimated value before the draft.

Thanks, Neo, I think you just hit on part of why I've been unable to settle on any of the particular QBs as being "the One" to go for in this draft. A lot has to do with the team the QB winds up with. Different teams have different styles, different offensive philosophies, different schemes, and generally different team personalities-and the probability of a drafted QB developing into an "elite" QB, at least partly, is dependent on how he fits into the team that drafts him. Which one will fit best, and has the greatest upside in the new Redskins system Shanahan will have? I can't answer that one, which is why I'm pretty much going to give Shanahan the nod here and defer to his experience and judgement.

I just hope he keeps in mind that whoever he picks won't be able to accomplish much sitting on his butt in the backfield-OL help (LT, LT, LT!) is high on my list of team needs. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.