• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WP: The Redskins, Shanahans and Sam Bradford might be an ideal combo

authentic

The Rookie
Reaction score
click for the rest

Months before Washington officially hired Coach Mike Shanahan, a longtime former NFL executive who knows Shanahan told me that Jason Campbell wasn't Shanahan's type of quarterback. He said he would not be surprised if Shanahan selected a quarterback in his first draft leading the Redskins, and Bradford was the first player he mentioned.

The Redskins, Shanahans and Sam Bradford might be an ideal combo
As always, Rick Maese did an excellent job explaining what our sources are telling us about quarterback Sam Bradford in relation to the Redskins.

Months before Washington officially hired Coach Mike Shanahan, a longtime former NFL executive who knows Shanahan told me that Jason Campbell wasn't Shanahan's type of quarterback. He said he would not be surprised if Shanahan selected a quarterback in his first draft leading the Redskins, and Bradford was the first player he mentioned.

A successful coach who also is familiar with Shanahan's thinking told us Shanahan planned to draft a young quarterback and "raise him." As a quarterback coach and offensive coordinator in two stints with the Denver Broncos, Shanahan played a big role in the success of Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway, arguably the best to ever play the position. Shanahan also helped Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young win a Super Bowl while he directed the San Francisco 49ers' offense.

No one does it better on offense than Shanahan, NFL people say, and he is second to none at teaching and protecting quarterbacks. Because of Shanahan's expertise with the position, owner Daniel Snyder's money and the fan base's relatively low expectations for the team the next few seasons because of more than a decade of mismanagement, Washington appears to be the ideal situation for Bradford.

I mean, what more could an apparently stable, bright, strong-armed rookie quarterback want? Obviously, the former Oklahoma star and Heisman Trophy winner could do a lot worse than learning how to be a pro quarterback from Shanahan and his son, offensive-coordinator-and-head-coach-in-waiting Kyle.

Bradford, from what we're hearing, is not the most NFL-ready quarterback. That title probably would go to former Notre Dame standout Jimmy Clausen, who played in a pro-style offense. Charlie Weis proved to be hopelessly overmatched as a head coach, but he does know a lot about offense, and Clausen probably benefited from his three-year experience with Weis.

Bradford worked in a spread offense at Oklahoma and likely will have some catching up to do to get to where Clausen already is in terms of his understanding of pro-style offenses, blocking schemes, etc. Indeed, in his Pro Day on Monday in Norman, Okla., Bradford took many "snaps" from under center, dropping back to pass and apparently trying to impress upon coaches and scouts in attendance that he's capable of adapting. If he is half as smart as some people believe, his transition shouldn't take long.

I read an interesting article similiar to this just the other day that made a great analogy between Bradford and Clausen, in basketball terms.

The NFL scout said that Clausen might be more NFL ready currently, but his upside is much lower than Bradford.

The scout said Bradford is like Dwight Howard, and Clausen is like Okafur. And suggested that like Howard, Bradford is the franchise player here.

While is COULD be an ideal combo, I would be VERY surprised if we actually found out. I suppose Bradford could pull an Eli but I have a feeling some team would be willing to move into the top 3 to get him and I seriously doubt it will be the Skins.

While is COULD be an ideal combo, I would be VERY surprised if we actually found out. I suppose Bradford could pull an Eli but I have a feeling some team would be willing to move into the top 3 to get him and I seriously doubt it will be the Skins.

Perhaps Cleveland. Don't they have something like 11 draft picks this year? They could offer this year's 1st and 3rd and next year's 1st and still be able to address other critical areas of the team with no problem.

I read an interesting article similiar to this just the other day that made a great analogy between Bradford and Clausen, in basketball terms.

The NFL scout said that Clausen might be more NFL ready currently, but his upside is much lower than Bradford.

The scout said Bradford is like Dwight Howard, and Clausen is like Okafur. And suggested that like Howard, Bradford is the franchise player here.

Interesting analogy although I'm not sure exactly why Clausen is considered to have a low upside when he improved EVERY year at Notre Dame. It makes me think people are looking more at the fact that Bradford was surrounded by a better team than Clausen. Then again, I hope we take Okung so we won't have to worry whether or not Bradford will be the better NFL QB. ;)

Perhaps Cleveland. Don't they have something like 11 draft picks this year? They could offer this year's 1st and 3rd and next year's 1st and still be able to address other critical areas of the team with no problem.

I didn't initially think Holmgren would pull the trigger on this type of deal given that Cleveland has so many holes to fill but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. The Browns are NOT going to be a playoff team in 2011 so why not build for the future starting with a guy who will put butts in the seats down the road? Delhomme and Wallace are not long term solutions so this really wouldn't be a huge gamble.

Interesting analogy although I'm not sure exactly why Clausen is considered to have a low upside when he improved EVERY year at Notre Dame. It makes me think people are looking more at the fact that Bradford was surrounded by a better team than Clausen.

I imagine that they are looking at how crazy his numbers were, as only a sophomore in age.

And just figuring that he has more natural talent, although less experience right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.