• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT Link: Cerrato Disputes McShay's Assertion on Clausen

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
"Cerrato thinks McShay has bad information on Clausen

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 29, 2010 1:47 PM ET
ESPN likes to play up the on-air friction between its two draft experts, Mel Kiper and Todd McShay, and a big source of that friction this year has centered on Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen, whom Kiper likes a lot more than McShay does.

Vinny Cerrato, the former Washington Redskins Executive VP of Football Operations, has weighed in on the dispute and said that based on his contacts at Notre Dame (where he worked in the 1980s), McShay is simply wrong in his assessment that Clausen lacks maturity and leadership skills.

"I think Todd McShay started that, you know?" Cerrato told Jason Reid of the Washington Post. "I'd like to know who Todd McShay talked to at Notre Dame about Jimmy. That's what I would like to know, because I was at the school and talked to everybody."

Cerrato says that if anyone at Notre Dame was questioning Clausen's maturity, it was probably one of the older players who didn't like the fact that Clausen came in with a great deal of fanfare as a freshman. According to Cerrato, people who saw Clausen progress at Notre Dame saw him grow into a leadership role.

"He's a totally mature guy," Cerrato said. "I mean, you know what he is? He's a gym rat. He's a football junkie. He loves to talk about football. He loves to watch film. He's very smart about football coverages, all those things."

It should be pointed out that Cerrato is close with Clausen's agent, Gary Wichard, and Cerrato has been helping Wichard's clients prepare for pre-draft interviews. That might lead some to say Cerrato wants to portray Clausen in the most favorable light possible, although it could also be seen as evidence that Cerrato has had a first-hand look at just how mature Clausen is.

Whatever the case, Cerrato is willing to stake his own reputation on Clausen's maturity, while McShay is on the record as saying Clausen shouldn't be a first-round pick. Clip and save this for future reference."

So, after reading this I think I am more inclined to think less of Clausen's stock. Haha!

Bless Vinny for trying to get his name back "out there," but man ... I've known precious few people who manage to make me cringe more when they open their mouths and start speaking. The man simply cannot articulate a thought.

Bless Vinny for trying to get his name back "out there," but man ... I've known precious few people who manage to make me cringe more when they open their mouths and start speaking. The man simply cannot articulate a thought.

"He's a totally mature guy," Cerrato said. "I mean, you know what he is? He's a gym rat. He's a football junkie. He loves to talk about football. He loves to watch film. He's very smart about football coverages, all those things."

Was that what stuck out for you? Cause good Lord have mercy, I read that the first time and wondered if my 12 year old was giving this analysis. Claussen is like, you know, totally awesome.

Yeesh.

Yeah, that was it, brother. It's par for Vinny's course.

Never have so few done so much to damage our team...to totally distort a famous quote.

I don't think I've ever been happier to see someone gone than I am Vinny and that includes Deion, something I never thought I'd say.

Wise words, CT.

Welcome aboard ... and 'bout time. :)

"He's a totally mature guy," Cerrato said.

This quote made me giggle a bit. Vinny sounds like a 16 year old girl defending her boyfriend that her parents don't like.

But to what McShay said, I think it holds some water. It's not like he's the only analyst out there who has said Clausen has had character issues. I don't know why but Clausen has always rubbed me the wrong way, I never really liked what I saw from him when I watched ND games. Then again I only saw him from before this past year, so maybe he did improve a lot.

This quote made me giggle a bit. Vinny sounds like a 16 year old girl defending her boyfriend that her parents don't like.

But to what McShay said, I think it holds some water. It's not like he's the only analyst out there who has said Clausen has had character issues. I don't know why but Clausen has always rubbed me the wrong way, I never really liked what I saw from him when I watched ND games. Then again I only saw him from before this past year, so maybe he did improve a lot.
Hey, if I can't get away with this here, where can I? :cool4:

Vinny Cerrato no longer exisits in my world. I wouldn't give a squirt of piss for his opinion on anything football related

Clausen a gym rat? I heard he works out but no harder than any other ND player. I've heard from friends who are Notre Dame alums, and probably closer to the program than Vinny, that Jimmy would prefer watching film over working out but that he's not a slacker either.

Sounds like Vinny is helping Wichard out while sounding like a bit of a bozo but he's not wrong about Clausen either. McShay is definitely wrong, though.

Wise words, CT.

Welcome aboard ... and 'bout time. :)

Thanks my friend. And yea it is way overdue. After I ditched out on CPND I've kind of been in limbo. Think I might set up camp here if it's cool with everyone. :)

I heard we're trading for McNabb anyway,so none of this QB talk matters

j/k:)

never liked the guy before ....and really don't like him since the skins....he's a joke if u ask me.....:kick_can:...................Cerreto...

If Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan draft a kid who's being backed by Cerrato after the mess that Cerrato and Snyder left this franchise in.....I would be rather disturbed.

I'm trying to like Clausen since I got a (bad) feeling that's where we might go but Vinny in the Clausen camp bothers me and.......

.....it's like he's getting a foot back into the door of the Redskins organization.

I keep hearing this, "He's more NFL ready than any other QB in the draft!" argument, well what about 2,3,4 or 5 years down the road? I would rather have someone like Rex Grossman or Jason Campbell, who may not be the best QB out there, well ok maybe not even the best 10, but they are way more NFL ready than Clausen.

If we are willing to spend on a QB, then why not wait until next year when we can go after Locker? Bradford and Clausen are too risky! Jake Locker is more than likely the next Championship Franchise QB from most accounts. Yeah, it might be more expensive than this year, but these guys are too risky.

WD, I have the same feeling. I would not be surprised to see him drop to somewhere between 10-15 in the draft.

Cerrato is no Alfred Einstein :)

Nor is he silver-tongued. But that really doesn't have a whole lot to do with whether he's right about Claussen, does it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.