• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Release: REDSKINS SIGN PHILLIP BUCHANON

Pappas

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

March 29, 2010

REDSKINS SIGN PHILLIP BUCHANON

LOUDOUN COUNTY, VA – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent cornerback Phillip Buchanon. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Buchanon, 29, will be entering his ninth NFL season after originally joining the league as a first-round draft pick (No. 17 overall) of the Oakland Raiders in 2002. For his career, Buchanon (5-11, 186) has played in 105 games, with 76 starts, and has amassed 18 interceptions, five of which he has returned for touchdowns. The latter total is the sixth-highest among active players. In addition, Buchanon has also returned 118 punts for 1,075 yards (9.1 avg.) and three touchdowns in his career.

“We are very excited to add a veteran corner, such as Phillip, to our defensive backfield,” Redskins Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan said. “He has had a lot of success in this league and brings with him the ability to create turnovers. He will be a big part of what we are trying to accomplish defensively in Washington.”

After spending three seasons in Oakland, Buchanon was traded to the Houston Texans in 2005. Following Week 7 of 2006, Buchanon was released by Houston and picked up a day later by Tampa Bay. He played in 10 games for the Buccaneers that season, including starts in the final four contests in which he recorded 20 tackles and two interceptions.

Buchanon started 29 of 32 games for Tampa Bay in 2007 and 2008, registering five interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery over that span. He signed with Detroit as an unrestricted free agent prior to the 2009 season and went on to play in 13 games, with 11 starts.

Buchanon played collegiately at the University of Miami where he was a three-year letter winner and an All-American returner. He was born. Sept. 19, 1980 in Ft. Myers, Fla., where he also attended Lehigh High School.

OK. So long as it's not for a ton of money, I'm good with it. I assume Shanny knows him pretty well from his days in Oakland. Maybe taking Smoot's role?

I think Rogers can outplay Buchannon any day of the week. Rogers does have a hard time hanging on to interceptions, but if he caught those he would be a top ten corner. He can hang with the top recievers out there and he can tackle better than Buchannon.

Buchannon will come in and return some kicks and at best be a nickel corner.

Both players have one thing in common though: 0 interceptions in 2009.

OK, we need CB depth and he is probably as good if not better than Smoot for probably less money.

OK, we need CB depth and he is probably as good if not better than Smoot for probably less money.

This is where I am at with the signing as well. Isn't he a bit younger than Fred though?

I think we have a pretty good mix of young and old in the DBs.

Tryon showed some improvement last year, but I'm still waiting to see Barnes hit the field. I remember he had a nice pick in preseason last year. I want to see what he can do.

I think this is a solid pick-up ... I also think that Rogers will step it up a little since this is his last year in his contract...for some unknown reasons players seem to step up their game when thay are going to b free agents the up coming year....$,$$$,$$$...and I think Buchanon will push him .... every postion is up for grabs...

the simple truth is that Buchanon can still run a 4.4 and cover downfield while Smoot was compromised by his declining physical skills. Smoot is 32 and Buchanon will be 30 and it might not appear to be much of an age gap but some guys hit the wall earlier than others.

Buchanon can also return punts and has been more effective in doing so than ARE or the others who were given a shot here in 2008 and 2009.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.