• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Will the Skins trade up to get Bradford?

Skinsfan76

The Starter
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/360836-washington-redskins-trading-up-for-sam-bradford

It is a popular opinion that if Bradford falls to #4 that the Skins will take him. However, the real question here is, will the Skins trade up for Bradford? Would the Skins be happy taken Clausen at 4? Would they be happy drafting a QB in the 2nd round? McCoy? LeFevour? or even Tebow? If the answer is no to all those questions, will they trade up to take Bradford?

I keep going back and fourth on this question. I just don't think Shanahan is in love with Campbell. He could be just playing the draft game of misdirection but just a first round tender for Campbell while just a few more bucks would have brought it up to a first and 3rd. Signing Rex Grossmen and basically saying there would be a QB competition this year. I could say almost for certain that the Skins will draft a QB here in 2010. This is a scary QB class in my opinion. Every QB has a upside but also has a downside. Can anyone out there guarentee that by drafting a QB would be an upgrade from Campbell? You say Bradford... what if he is injury proned? Clausen... do we really know that he is going to be a better NFL QB than Campbell?

What does everyone think?

We aren't going to be able to say that any QB taken this year will end up being as good as Campbell. We also can't say that the next Tom Brady isn't waiting out there in the 7th round. Nothing is a sure thing when it comes to the draft. All we can do is cross the T's and dot the....lower case J's.

We have to trust the guys in the front office to make good evaluations based on the information they have. Shanahan knows what he wants in a QB, or you hope he would at this stage. He has the unique ability this year, because of where we select, to almost have his pick of the litter. We shouldn't squander this. If he's convinced that he has "the guy" then I'm fine with him doing whatever it takes to get him. He just better be right.

The reality might be that Campbell is as good as he's going to get as an NFL QB. Is that good enough? I don't think so. I admire the guy for a lot of things but in the end it comes down to what happens on the field. He doesn't deserve all of the blame for our recent futility but he hasn't put the team on his back and done anything spectacular either. So the jury is still out on him. That's not a good place to be at this point in his career. Most QB's at this stage have established themselves in ways Jason has yet to do.

I think Campbell gets this year to prove what he can do almost by default. After this season if Jason hasn't established himself we need to move on. It's probably a good idea to have someone waiting in the wings who would be able to step in if he falls short and we have to move on next year. I don't care if that guy is already on the team or is someone we have to draft.

As for the tender, I don't see teams beating down our door to offer us a first for Jason (that I would gladly take) so it's not likely that offering him the higher tender would have mattered.

I think Hog Fever is dead-on. I think, were it not for the tender placed on him, Campbell would already be gone. I also agree he's a great guy and is, to a large extent, the victim of his circumstances. I do believe, had he come into a better situation as a rookie, he might have developed into a very solid NFL QB. I'm not sure at this point he will ever get over the hump or that we have the time to invest to find out. One thing I'm certain of is that Shanahan already has his mind made up one way or the other - he likely has a very well-defined mental image of what his QB needs to possess, and has no doubt made that critical assessment in regards to Campbell.

As obvious as it sounds, I think Shanahan either thinks Bradford, Claussen, or some other QB has the qualities he prizes, and he'll pull the trigger if 'that guy' is obtainable in the coming draft. I think he'll do it precisely because he doesn't believe Campbell is his guy. I do not think he'll trade up and mortgage draft picks to do so because we just have too many holes to begin filling, and because unlike the Vinny Cerrato's of the world, he understands the value of draft picks.

Last edited:
If we are going to trade up for him, the wheels will be set in motion prior to draft day.

It will basically take what the Eli trade took, a swap of the 1 and 4, a 3rd this year and a 1st and 4th next year.

If we do one of the following in the next few weeks, look for it to happen

1) Trade down with the number 37 overall pick

2) Make a trade of any roster player for a 3rd rounder

Those will be my cues

I agree with everything said. I think the fact that Campbell was tendered with just a first round pick says that Shanahan doesn't have that much faith in him. I do think that if Bradford was avalable at #4 that Shanahan would pull the trigger but I don't think he will be there. Chances are the Rams take him but if not then when Tampa picks at the two DTs will be off the board so they will trade down with someone that wants Bradford real bad. The Browns have twelve picks this year and have the ability to move up to #3 if Bradford is still there.

I hope Okung is there at #4. He is on my wish list this year. Orapko was number one on my wish list last year maybe the trend will continue.

I do think we will draft a QB this year. I think it could be in the 2nd round. So McCoy, Tebow or maybe LeFevour could be the selection. In September we will have Campbell, our draft pick and then either Grossmen or Brennan.

I also think Andre Carter will be gone before the 2010 season. I wonder what draft pick we could get for him? A 3rd? Or a 4th?

I agree that HogFever hit the nail on the head.

For me regardless of the situation Campbell was put in, I think he is maxed out. Campbell has all the physical tools. I just wonder about the mental ones.

As it was noted he has never put the team on his back and done the spectacular. Guys like Farve, Brady, Elway, and Peyton Manning could and would. Too often Campbell was late on throws. His indecision, regardless if afraid to throw an int or just not sure of himself, cost us dearly many times.

In the NFL the window is much smaller. If you look at the guys mentioned above, they always feel the could get the ball there and majority of time they succeeded. With Campbell that split second hesitation many times closes the window and we see pass thrown out of bounds. At the time looks like the smart play. How many times during his tenure have we heard he was a little late of the throw?

I think Campbell lacks something in his personality or mental makeup that keeps him from progressing to next level. He's a great guy, but at same time his own worse enemy.

I would agree with what seems to be the general consensus here that Campbell will not be the long-term solution and that a QB will be taken at some point in the draft. I have had a lot of trouble settling in on any particular one of the QBs available in this year's draft for the already mentioned reason that every one of them has a noted downside-some of which could possibly be corrected by coaching, or maybe not. I'm going to give Shanahan the benefit of the doubt on QB selection because of his knowledge and experience and because none of the QBs available stand out to me in overall assessment in comparison to the others.

I think Kyle will be working with Campbell hard to see if there is anything he can do with him first off, Rex is the safety net for that experiment while they load the team with quality young'uns and make a change at QB only after Campbell experiment fails. (Which it will IMO) not that I wouldn't be really happy if he pulled a Breeze transformation overnight.

There are too many other holes to go QB at any point in this draft, I think everybody would agree to that unless there was a can't miss QB which there doesn't seem to be, you have to restock the shelves first.

I honestly think most fans will get what they have been crowing about for a long time... Linemen.

Last edited:
I just don't see Shanahan, in his first year in Washington, giving up a bunch of picks, players or some combination of the two just to grab a QB when you have plenty of other holes to fill. It's just NOT a good idea to Ditka the draft when you don't already have a strong team.

Now if it were Mike's 3rd year and we were on the verge of making the playoffs, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it but moving up for Bradford this year means you're giving up on 2010 and committing to a rebuilding process WITHOUT being competitive. I don't think ANY of us want that.

A news article on his pro day

Former OU quarterback Sam Bradford works out for NFL scouts, coaches

Read more: http://newsok.com/former-ou-quarter...-scouts-coaches/article/3449917#ixzz0jaTOyimx

"I thought I showed everyone that my shoulder's what it was before I got hurt," Bradford said.

Former Cowboys vice president of player personnel Gil Brandt called the workout the best he's seen since Troy Aikman.

Bradford, looking bigger than he had during the season, completed all but one of his 50 throws. The one incompletion came on a drop early in the sequence.

Bradford threw a combination of short, intermediate and deep routes, showing no effects from the shoulder surgery that ended his 2009 season early.

"He's done a great job," Rams general manager Billy Devaney said. "He deserves a tremendous amount of credit.

"Now it's on to Texas and to Notre Dame."

The Rams have the No. 1 pick in next month's NFL draft and are expected to choose between a trio of quarterbacks including Bradford, Texas' Colt McCoy and Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen.

Bradford is expected to work out privately for the Rams three days before the draft.

He called the pro day experience "nerve wracking" but credited the teammates he threw to for settling him down.

Bradford threw to Jermaine Gresham, Adron Tennell, Chris Brown, Brody Eldridge and the Buffalo Bills Josh Reed.

"I'm just looking forward to playing in the NFL," Bradford said, though he acknowledged dreaming about the notion of being the top pick.

Representatives from just about every NFL team were in Norman. Cleveland Browns general manager Mike Holmgren, Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carrol and St. Louis Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo were all in attendance.

Bradford underwent reconstructive surgery on his right (throwing) shoulder on Oct. 28. After suffering an AC-joint sprain in a loss to BYU in the Sooners' season opener on Sept. 5, Bradford returned to the field against Texas, but re-injured the shoulder during the first quarter.

"I don't think I could tell you everything that's gone into this," Bradford said. "I put a lot of pressure on myself to come out here and show everyone I'm the same player."

The process didn't end Monday for Bradford, though. The St. Louis Rams and the Washington Redskins, teams looking for a quarterback in the draft, will put Bradford through individual workouts in April. Bradford is scheduled to work out for Washington (No. 4 pick) on April 15 and for the Rams (No. 1 pick) on April 19.

"I'm not sure what those teams are looking for, but I fell like I'm a great player and a great leader," Bradford said. "By the time those workouts get here I'll be in great shape."

Read more: http://newsok.com/former-ou-quarter...-scouts-coaches/article/3449917#ixzz0jaTMAllE

again, not a chance. I don't care how good his pro day was.

We aren't giving up MORE to move up a few spots and pay an unproven rookie more than anybody else on the team.

The kind of ammo required to move up to #1 would be prohitive, even in a year w/o a consensus Franchise QB candidate (Elway, Manning/Leaf, Palmer, Aikman...) like 2010.

Bradford may be the highest-rated QB this year, but no one's putting him in that category.

Even wiht that, I have to figure you'd be talking swapping this year's #1's, giving up next year's #1, probably this year's 2nd and maybe even a late-round (5th or 6th round) throw-in.

You maybe consider doing that if it's an Elway coming out. For a Bradford?

To borrow a phrase: NFW. :cool:

We've got gaping holes on the O-line in starters and in depth.
We need some young blood in our RB corp.
A FS would be nice
We may need another ILB, if only to be Fletcher's replacement in a few years.
We could use some more depth at the DT/3-4DE position
We could use another NT

and we have only 5 picks.......
do we really give up 4, our 2nd rounder and probably some picks in 2011 for Bradford with no O-line and big needs at other spots?

Hopefully no.

I am not a proponent of trading up for Bradford, but I am going to play devil's advocate.....

Hypothetically, if the Skins really want Bradford, do you think the Rams would swap firsts if we included Carter and Campbell?

I honestly think it would be dumb to move Campbell out of here this year even though we have Grossman. But Grossman could fill in as a sub for the time being, at least until Bradford is ready.

This would give the Rams a starting QB, a pass rusher on a very poor defense (they need to replace Little) and could still potentially put them in position to draft one of the big DT's. The Skins would not give up any picks and would still hold the rest of their picks this year and next.

Not saying, I agree with this, just wondered what everyone else thought.

I believe he is certainly worthy of more than the first pick in this year's draft. But, I have felt that way for two years now.

The question really isn't "is he worth this year's first, and next year's first?"

I suspect NFL fans would almost unanimously agree that drafting Peyton Manning would have been worth two first round picks, if not more. Of course Peyton was worth two first rounders.

So the real question becomes, "is he the next Peyton Manning?"

I believe he is the best QB prospect I have personally seen in a very, very long time. And to me, that is certainly worth more than just the top pick.

I would hope to see us trade some current players away to make the deal work, rather than giving up future picks to get him here. Carter, JC, Rogers or a TE might work.

Last edited:
I believe he is certainly worthy of more than the first pick in this year's draft. But, I have felt that way for two years now.

The question really isn't "is he worth this year's first, and next year's first?"

I suspect NFL fans would almost unanimously agree that drafting Peyton Manning would have been worth two first round picks, if not more. Of course Peyton was worth two first rounders.

So the real question becomes, "is he the next Peyton Manning?"

I believe he is the best QB prospect I have personally seen in a very, very long time. And to me, that is certainly worth more than just the top pick.

I would hope to see us trade some current players away to make the deal work, rather than giving up future picks to get him here. Carter, JC, Rogers or a TE might work.

Yeah but you thought Ladell Betts was gonna be the starting QB going into next season! :betterwink:

Welcome to the board!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.