• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Mike Williams, what do you think?

If anything, I'd say the fact that we're having this conversation is confirmation enough that the Redskins' casual approach to lineman drafting and hoping to find a diamond in the rough may not be the best approach in building a strong offensive line (or team, for that matter).
Spot on. Couldn't agree more.

I see Williams like a lottery ticket. A shiny sign of potential, easy to get excited about, but realistically, nothing we should ever have to depend on.

I can only imagine the coaches saw more potential in him than Jansen, which doesn't say much for Williams. Or Jansen, for that matter, but that kind of goes without saying.

Pre-season should give us a pretty good clue. If he's getting dominated by other teams 2nd and 3rd teams, he's still far away from being able to give us serious value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Williams, should he stay where he needs to be weight-wise, will be a HUGE asset to the team. In my opinion if he does what needs to be done he's going to supplant Heyer as our starting RT. He'll be an absolute mauler in the run game and a decent pass protector.

Either way, though, we'll probably need to keep Portis in to block/chip the outside rush. None of our tackles are really going to be all that quick. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. With Williams weight loss, he should be okay on the edge...

I'm really looking forward to seeing that guy play again.

I really don't think it is 'arguable' that Chris Samuels is the team's best lineman and has been for most if not all of the 2000s.

I also don't think the nature of his injury (upper arm) is going to slow him so that his return to 'form' in 2009 is in question.

At this point I would be more concerned with the return of Randy Thomas at RG. His injury was far more serious and follows on injuries that were themselves serious.

I continue to maintain that Jeremy Bridges is on the team as an insurance policy at RG as much as a realistic candidate to be the RT.

I would not be surprised to see Bridges in the regular lineup during the season at some point.

I often have fantastical ideas about the Redskins. Going 19-0, beating the Cowboys by a score of 75-0, that sort of thing.

My latest flight of fancy involves Mike Williams obtaining the pass blocking skill of Anthony Munoz, the quickness and mobility of Larry Allen, and the straight up nastiness of Joe Jacoby.

Will that happen? Uh,no.

BUT - he could be a good pro in the NFL. It's so hard to say though. Does he really have that angry chip on his shoulder? I don't see that when I've watched his recent interviews. He seems a little happy-go-lucky, just glad to be here.

I'm hoping for a miracle but certainly not expecting one.

And this smiley is great. :drummer:

Update: Vinny was on Redskins Nation on Thursday. Says Williams is now 337?

337?

Un-believeable.......he wasn't that light in college (350's)

Thats totally amazing knowing where he started. At 337 he should be much quicker and lighter on his feet, no pun intended. The question is has he lost strength dropping so much weight?

Thats totally amazing knowing where he started. At 337 he should be much quicker and lighter on his feet, no pun intended. The question is has he lost strength dropping so much weight?

That was a question posed to Vinny by Larry on Redskins Nation. Vinny stated that Williams had tried to drop weight like this before and lost strength b/c he focused only on the weight loss.

Vinny said this time he worked with the trainers and improved upon the strength while losing the weight.

It will be interesting to watch since the Skins felt Williams had good feet at 410lbs, he just didn't have the endurance to play in a full season.

I'm also curious about the strength issue Hap..... especially how he does his blocking. When he was bigger, he could maul guys. Just get a hold of them and get in their way and that was it. Now he will be able to get to them and drive them, but he'll have to adapt to the lighter weight (for example Bull Rushers will be bale to drive him more than when he was 350 or 370).

It will be an interesting learning process.

337? Unbelievable. You can't question the man's motivation any more, that's for sure.

He's probably much healthier and (hopefully) less injury-prone as well.

And if this whole football thing works out, I think he could make a career selling his diet and workout regimen.

Update: Mike Williams was on Redskins Nation today.

Said he actually needed to slow the weight loss down, he was losing too much.
Currently: 342lbs.

Williams also addressed the strength issue saying that he lost some muscle mass but it was expected and very little was lost (I think he said about 3% of the weight loss was muscle mass).

He went from a size 52 to size 42.....wow.

Larry Michael asked him how the offense was going to be this year. MW: Nasty and that the guys he worked with in Arizona (Samuels, Heyer, Dockery) are hungry.

Jason Reid: Pulling No Punches :whip:

Quick Take on Mike Williams
I know he's the feel-good story of training camp, but it has been painful to watch tackle Mike Williams in pass protection since camp opened, and I really don't expect him to improve much today or anytime soon.

His long layoff from football (he last played in a regular season game in 2005) and rapid weight loss have not been a good combination. It seems as if every defensive end in camp has beaten him regularly while Williams struggles to relearn proper footwork. He's going to need a lot of time in the weight room to rebuild strength, and you don't need to be a player, scout or coach to know he doesn't belong on a football field right now in a competitive environment.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/quick-take-on-mike-williams.html

Would someone like him be practice squad eligible. It sounds like he will need a year of practice and weight lifting to get back to make a good effort.

I can't help but wonder if folks won't be missing Jansen by mid-season or hating our draft class if Orakpo is anything short of Defensive Rookie of the Year...

I can't help but wonder if folks won't be missing Jansen by mid-season or hating our draft class if Orakpo is anything short of Defensive Rookie of the Year...

There will always be those that are never satisfied. I think we were already missing Jansen the past couple of years (that is, missing the old Jansen, compared to what we had recently).

Sounds like WIlliams, despite his tremendous effort, is gonna need a year to get back his football/pass protecting mojo

Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear that he’s eligible for the practice squad. I’ve linked the most recent discussion of eligibility that I could find and have quoted what is purported to be the relevant CBA language. (I couldn’t link the CBA itself; it crashed my computer every time I tried to access it.)

http://ozoneshadow.wordpress.com/2007/08/20/practice-squad-eligibility/

As far as I know, Williams was on the Bills’ active roster for four seasons before being cut.

Thanks for the information. Maybe they should hire him as a weight loss expert and have him lift weights and work on technique for a year.

Williams is a feel good story as a guide for life. I just don't think he is going to return to the NFL and be an impact player.

Part of it is simply looking at where he was in his prime earlier in the decade.

He was never a top flight performer at this level.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.