• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

Come on up yo! The best part is all my neighbors have something different so we barter wild game. Moose pepperoni sticks are on f'n point too

Cool, so the Life Below Zero documentary is pretty accurate about all that bartering.
Not sure if I have anything valuable enough to barter, for something like caribou

Veggies, Salisbury Hamburgers, Gravy, Rice, Lemonade, Salad later

Chicken Carbonara.jpg

I made chicken carbonara. I love it.

Attachments

• Chicken Carbonara.jpg
    Chicken Carbonara.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 288
The one I got was a yearling male, he just had nubbins for horns. I'm not proud but I needed a caribou, there I said it.

It was perfectly tender and delicious. Imagine a beefier tasting venison with no aftertaste, a larger one would no doubt be tougher and less appealing. Many up here get them made into brats because the local butchers will mix anything you request in with it. Jalapeno and cheese caribou brats are a popular selection.

Same goes with halibut, a 200lb fish would give you dominant bragging rights but the older ones are tougher and full of sea lice. Far less appealing to eat

Edit: Have no idea how to straighten it up, I need an adult
View attachment 4239

Here's a quick example of what the local butchers will do. Most will add whatever you bring in when requested. Can personalize the hell out of it if wished, it's pretty nice

https://www.alaskasausage.com/Custom-Game-Processing.aspx

Best deer I ever had was a button buck my cousin brought down. I don't judge...I will take 2 or 3 doe if it means my fridge is full. But I stopped eating deer a long time ago because I'm not a fan of that after taste you mentioned.

When we'd make sausage or ground the meat for burgers we'd use chicken stock.

Been eating deer for 45+ years. Was fortunate enough to learn how to cook it from an amazing woman. Early on, I had a few experiences with after taste.
But since I've steadily improved my handling of the meat, after the kill, along with the fact that I've only eaten deer that I killed, processed, and cooked myself, after taste is more rare than a John Riggins fumble.

Also helps to hunt an area where the diet of the deer is good.

Mature swamp deer is by far the worst I ever had. Even the burger is challenging.

Of course, it's me, so I did good with that, too.

2 nights ago, the wife and I had the last piece of backstrap. Marinated, whole, for 3 days. Then sliced into inch and a half thick medallions. Sprinkled with a little Montreal steak seasoning. Grilled to perfection. Cut with a fork, melt in your mouth, perfection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been eating deer for 45+ years. Was fortunate enough to learn how to cook it from an amazing woman. Early on, I had a few experiences with after taste.
But since I've steadily improved my handling of the meat, after the kill, along with the fact that I've only eaten deer that I killed, processed, and cooked myself, after taste is more rare than a John Riggins fumble.

Also helps to hunt an area where the diet of the deer is good.

Mature swamp deer is by far the worst I ever had. Even the burger is challenging.

Of course, it's me, so I did good with that, too.

2 nights ago, the wife and I had the last piece of backstrap. Marinated, whole, for 3 days. Then sliced into inch and a half thick medallions. Sprinkled with a little Montreal steak seasoning. Grilled to perfection. Cut with a fork, melt in your mouth, perfection.

You're my hero!

You hunting the skinny mountain deer in Frederick and further west, or do you go down to the ES for the fat, flatland deer?

You're my hero!

You hunting the skinny mountain deer in Frederick and further west, or do you go down to the ES for the fat, flatland deer?

Hunted PG county for many years, when I lived there. Fort Meade has around 10,000 acres. It's public, which I hate. But it's heavily regulated. Everyone had to qualify with their weapons every year. Orange was mandatory, and they checked you. Property was divided into sections. Only so many hunters per acre. Other safety requirements that made it as safe as you can make public property. And I still hunted in the most remote, lack of other hunters spots I could find. Would still hunt there today, except they've tried to turn it into a trophy buck location. Only bucks with a 14 inch spread can be taken. In all my life, I've never come upon a buck that would let you measure their horns before you shoot them. Besides, I'd like to kill a monster buck every year. But meat in the pot is first order of business. Spikes eat real good.

Have hunted with a friend (former customer) for the last 25yrs or so, in southern West Virginia. My days in the woods are only a fraction of what they used to be. Usually 3 days. I always get a bonus buck stamp, so I can take 2. I'll get a doe stamp if needs be. Be the neighboring landowner brings in a bunch of guys that shoot everything they see. They keep the does in check almost single handedly.

Am considering getting a bear stamp this year. As I've been seeing them every year for the past 4. I've eaten bear. It was alright.

I think I can cook it better.

Plus this year, I'll have a whole week to hunt.

Hunted PG county for many years, when I lived there. Fort Meade has around 10,000 acres. It's public, which I hate. But it's heavily regulated. Everyone had to qualify with their weapons every year. Orange was mandatory, and they checked you. Property was divided into sections. Only so many hunters per acre. Other safety requirements that made it as safe as you can make public property. And I still hunted in the most remote, lack of other hunters spots I could find. Would still hunt there today, except they've tried to turn it into a trophy buck location. Only bucks with a 14 inch spread can be taken. In all my life, I've never come upon a buck that would let you measure their horns before you shoot them. Besides, I'd like to kill a monster buck every year. But meat in the pot is first order of business. Spikes eat real good.

Have hunted with a friend (former customer) for the last 25yrs or so, in southern West Virginia. My days in the woods are only a fraction of what they used to be. Usually 3 days. I always get a bonus buck stamp, so I can take 2. I'll get a doe stamp if needs be. Be the neighboring landowner brings in a bunch of guys that shoot everything they see. They keep the does in check almost single handedly.

Am considering getting a bear stamp this year. As I've been seeing them every year for the past 4. I've eaten bear. It was alright.

I think I can cook it better.

Plus this year, I'll have a whole week to hunt.

I know all about that area, I grew up in Laurel but never hunted there. My uncle farmed about 1000 acres in Thurmont (Graceham and Lewistown actually), and across his land there were about 10-12 deer stands setup. I was lucky enough to get one of those stands every year. We could never take a doe in the 1st week of gun season, but the younger of us could in week 2.

However, when I moved to South Florida in the late 90's, my deer hunting days ended there. Nothing worthy of hunting down there except hog. I'd rather be fishing. When I moved home 10 years ago, I had just lost the heart for the kill. As my son gets older though, I am thinking about getting back into it. We have been scouting this buck in my neighborhood and after showing him bow hunting videos, the boy wants to get his bow out for this little guy.

BS1_1423.jpg

There are a lot of outdoors activities that families can do together.
Hunting and fishing are 2 of the best.

The great thing about hunting, when it comes time to pull the trigger, and one decides it's not there cup of tea...
The same skills used to get in position for a gun shot come in just as handy for a camera shot.
You've got both of those avenues covered.

I know nothing about hunting rules and regulations, because I'm a fisherman - but I can tell you all something I have learned as a fisherman who fishes all over the place - the area around Kiptopeke, VA has more deer than I have ever seen in my life. It's absurdly overpopulated to the point that while I'm fishing there before sunrise, I can see the eyes of dozens of deer glowing back at me. If it's an area you're allowed to hunt, there are more than enough there.

I shot a small doe when I was living in Missouri with a bow. Took it to the butcher and he said "man, you're one helluva shot". I was all like thanks, because I hit it right in the heart. He was like "no, that deer is so small it would have to take a crack shot to even hit it". That summonabitch butcher

Now I won't take a a fawn with spots and a furry snout, but I'm not against a 1 year old buck or doe. They have the absolute BEST back straps. Ax has a good point about what the animals have been eating and the relation to how said animal tastes. We took some rabbits this spring in an area very limited to willow bark and swampy grass for their food. It was horrible, would rather eat a zombie's ass than another demon rabbit.

Made brisket for some friends this weekend and tried something new. Boone, I believe you rubbed one of your briskets with mustard and then put your rub on? I've been reading about the miraculous cooking properties of mayo and decided to try that. I mixed the rub (cumin, paprika, etc) in with a small amount of mayo and slathered it on and then wrapped it overnight.

It was wonderful, really moist and good. I may keep trying mayo with cooking meat because it seems to be a neutral flavor that is a great conductor of taste and keeps things moist.

30 years ago, while still dating my future wife while finishing up my degree at UVa, I decided to make a special dinner for us. I had gotten Jeff Smith's (Frugal Gourmet) cookbook as a present, and it contained a recipe for 'Pepper Pot Soup' - which supposedly was created by George Washington's cooks while at Valley Forge. Primary ingredient - beef tripe. I knew what 'tripe' was (stomach lining) but had never dealt with it. The short version of the story is that I did not adequately prep/clean the tripe and the resulting soup was like a giant bowl of feces. We threw it all out.

It's taken all this time before I decided to give it another try, while the wife is in Michigan. This time, I scrubbed both sides of the tripe with rock salt, soaked it in white vinegar, boiled it for 10 minutes, and rinsed it with cold water 3-4 times. In addition to cubed tripe, the soup contained sauteed bacon, beef and vegetable stock, and vegetables to include freshy parsley and thyme, leeks, potatoes, celery, green pepper seasoned with salt, pepper, some ground cloves, and red pepper flakes.

It was really really good this time :)

30 years ago, while still dating my future wife while finishing up my degree at UVa, I decided to make a special dinner for us. I had gotten Jeff Smith's (Frugal Gourmet) cookbook as a present, and it contained a recipe for 'Pepper Pot Soup' - which supposedly was created by George Washington's cooks while at Valley Forge. Primary ingredient - beef tripe. I knew what 'tripe' was (stomach lining) but had never dealt with it. The short version of the story is that I did not adequately prep/clean the tripe and the resulting soup was like a giant bowl of feces. We threw it all out.

It's taken all this time before I decided to give it another try, while the wife is in Michigan. This time, I scrubbed both sides of the tripe with rock salt, soaked it in white vinegar, boiled it for 10 minutes, and rinsed it with cold water 3-4 times. In addition to cubed tripe, the soup contained sauteed bacon, beef and vegetable stock, and vegetables to include freshy parsley and thyme, leeks, potatoes, celery, green pepper seasoned with salt, pepper, some ground cloves, and red pepper flakes.

It was really really good this time :)

As someone who's always had a passion for cooking, I've always wanted to try something with tripe but never had a good recipe. I hear it's delicious when it's done right. Could you post the recipe? I'd like to give it a try next week when I get a day off.

Glad to. Here it is. But follow my instructions for cleaning the tripe before going on with the recipe...

585b48068945199b3126faa53ce32035.jpg

cfd929baf8fa11c075a2e98f67993bfb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to. Here it is. But follow my instructions for cleaning the tripe before going on with the recipe...

585b48068945199b3126faa53ce32035.jpg

cfd929baf8fa11c075a2e98f67993bfb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. Thank you for this. And I will definitely follow your instructions. I've wanted to try this for so long. On a side note, maybe you can help with another dilemma. I am obsessed with spicy foods and so is my son. Here in VA, our choices are limited to the usual suspects - Jalapeno, Habanero, and chili peppers. Zero selection. When I was down in Salisbury, NC I went to Concord Mills Malls and they had a store that sold all sorts of sauces, dry rubs, etc. They had samples of Carolina Reaper sauces and rubs, and I fell in love with them. Super spicy, but also with an amazing flavor profile that is extremely rare, as you know, with peppers high on the Scoville scale. Me and my son love intense but flavorful peppers, sauces, jellies, and rubs. Since you've lived in that area, are you are of any places that you'd recommend for products like this?

If you guys don't feel like peeling and mashing potatoes definitely give these sumbitches a try. Honest Earth makes the best instant mashed potatoes I've ever had

taters.jpg

So this year, brined the bird and trying something different. Mixed olive oil mayo with some honey garlic rub and a generous amount of fresh chopped sage, thyme, and rosemary. Rubbed the bird all over and under skin with the mayo and stuffed it with cut lemons, onion, and more fresh herbs.

Here's the before shot:

IMG_2924.jpg

I'm going to Smoke/roast it on the Big Green Egg with a drip pan below with some white wine, chicken stock, garlic, and bay leaves in it for gravy.

I'm trying a beer can turkey rubbed with honey, salt and pepper. Let me know how the mayo-rubbed thing works out John. I've bene doing that more and am loving it.

Going to extended family for dinner and trying something different. Going to give rack of lamb a go, believe it's getting smoked!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.