• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

I just tried a simple version of egg drop soup. Very quick & easy to make, and tasty.

Basically boil chicken broth but use like a cup to mix with 1 table spoon of corn starch for a slurry.

Beat up 3-5 eggs
Add 1 table spoon of white pepper & dash of ginger

Once broth is boiling add pepper/ginger/soy sauce/corn starch slurry
Reduce heat and slow pour eggs in to ribbon out
About 2 minutes later remove from heat, add salt and Tapito and Bob's your uncle

Last edited:
Was in the mood for something easy for my wife and I when she gets home from work - so crock potting it today. In the bottom of the crock pot, put a can of Goya black bean soup, 1/2 can of Garbanzo beans, some fresh chopped garlic, 1/2 a chopped red onion, can of green chiles, 1/2 can corn, and a can of Rotel w/habanero. On top of that laid a couple of small pork tenderloins, and then topped it with the same mixture on top. Will shred the pork at the end of the day, and serve on top of rice with some shredded cheddar jack cheese and fresh cilantro.

You had me til red onions, f'n gross.

Got a roast in the oven at the moment. Seasonings are simple...
Oregano
Celery Salt
Black pepper
Basil leaves
Beef bullions
Garlic salt

Will dice & add potatoes when serving time gets closer

Been doing a lot of Mexican stuff lately. A pork shoulder with Orange-Ancho sauce made dynamite burritos and the leftovers in quesadillas would knock your socks off. Cilantro rice, Chili rice, homemade refried beans, etc as sides. Having fun with it, and the leftovers as nachos, tacos, etc are great.

Doing a High Heat Brisket on the Weber Smokey Mountain today. Put on the first wet rub, then followed that with a dry rub. Will cook at 350+ for 4 hours or so (till it's 170 on the flat end) and then foil it and cook for another 2 hours or so.

We'll see how it goes. I've screwed up low and slow briskets several times, so I ain't askeered to try this :)

Brisket came out great. I'd probably carve out an hour of cooking time though (either 3 hours unfoiled/2 hours foiled or 4 hours unfoiled/1 hour foiled). It was a little more well done than I'd have liked. Amazingly - I had good bark on it despite finishing it up foiled.

Nice! Brisket is so hard - one of my favorite recipes is oven cooked with an onion sauce, but it feels like cheating. :)

We just got back from a trip to Mexico for a week. We went to Cozumel and stayed in an Airbnb - great experience! We all went on a food tour of local places (side rant: why would you go to Mexico and then eat at Hooters/Hard Rock Cafe/etc?) which was fabulous.

And then I took a cooking class by myself. Learned how to make margaritas, all kinds of great food and handmade, hand-rolled corn tortillas. So effing good.

Nice! Brisket is so hard - one of my favorite recipes is oven cooked with an onion sauce, but it feels like cheating. :)

We just got back from a trip to Mexico for a week. We went to Cozumel and stayed in an Airbnb - great experience! We all went on a food tour of local places (side rant: why would you go to Mexico and then eat at Hooters/Hard Rock Cafe/etc?) which was fabulous.

And then I took a cooking class by myself. Learned how to make margaritas, all kinds of great food and handmade, hand-rolled corn tortillas. So effing good.

That sounds amazing brother. Best thing about Mexico is the Tequila. I learned to love the Anejo style - a lot of which has been aged in bourbon barrels. It's amazing. Sounds like you had an epic trip. And @Goaldeje, you're way to scarce around here these days.

Since I do a lot of cooking with my Weber Smoky Mountain Grill (one of the most affordable and versatile charcoal grills/smokers around), I am a fan of the Virtual Weber Bullet Website. It not only has a ton of great information on using the WSM, but about grilling/smoking in general.

The added bonus is that they run a vBulletin forum there with even more great content - most importantly a huge library of member-submitted recipes.

Doing a favorite of mine tonight from that forum, Roadside Chicken. For those too lazy to click, here's the basic recipe along with instructions courtesy of 'Brian S.' it's creator:

ROADSIDE CHICKEN

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt

Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy

EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade proccess. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce.

I'm using drumsticks and a gas grill on this one due to time constraints and some bad weather. Pics to follow.

Since I do a lot of cooking with my Weber Smoky Mountain Grill (one of the most affordable and versatile charcoal grills/smokers around), I am a fan of the Virtual Weber Bullet Website. It not only has a ton of great information on using the WSM, but about grilling/smoking in general.

The added bonus is that they run a vBulletin forum there with even more great content - most importantly a huge library of member-submitted recipes.

Doing a favorite of mine tonight from that forum, Roadside Chicken. For those too lazy to click, here's the basic recipe along with instructions courtesy of 'Brian S.' it's creator:

ROADSIDE CHICKEN

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt

Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy

EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade proccess. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce.

I'm using drumsticks and a gas grill on this one due to time constraints and some bad weather. Pics to follow.

2ecd0b0601c4de8f2ac8ead831b3850d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boone, have you ever used a Carolina Reaper pepper? After reading about the guy that went to hospital after eating one decided to do some research.

Can get seeds easily, but just not sure how would use a pepper that hot.

Win this pepper has 1.5 million scoville units or the hottest pepper known to man. The guy who ate one had "thunderclap headaches" and dry heaves.

I am curious how you would even use one.

I probably wouldn't eat one by itself but maybe diced up in a crockpot of chili would be doable. Figure it “may” lose some umph slow cooking for a few hours, but hard to say without trying.

I probably wouldn't eat one by itself but maybe diced up in a crockpot of chili would be doable. Figure it “may” lose some umph slow cooking for a few hours, but hard to say without trying.

Give it a try and get back to us. :smile:

Boone, have you ever used a Carolina Reaper pepper? After reading about the guy that went to hospital after eating one decided to do some research.

Can get seeds easily, but just not sure how would use a pepper that hot.

I grow them some years, and yeah, I've eaten them and used them to flavor chocolate stouts I've made. Here's the thing - they call the things 'Super Hots' for a reason. If I were to slice off a sliver of a Reaper, or a Scorpion, or Ghost pepper, just chewing up a piece the size of a fingernail clipping would get your attention. People that take bites out of these peppers are just plain stupid or ignorant.

As an example, to make a 5 gallon batch of stout very very spicy, just 1/4 of a single pepper, suspended in the brew for a few days is all it takes. The beers I've done this with are scorching hot. That gives you an idea of how powerful those peppers are. They do have a really citrusy good flavor if you can get past the heat. My son and I used to just slice up some slivers and eat one every little bit.

Give it a try and get back to us. :smile:

If you sliced one up in a pot of chili, guarantee you wouldn't be able to eat a bowl of it. It would be nuclear. I have dried them out in the past and ground them up, either to make chili powder, or added to salt to make hot salt. Even then, the shit is super hot. It doesn't lose it's intensity no matter how you use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.