• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

The venison comes from my freezer. The 2 deer I got last hunting season will usually last me until this coming season.

Wasn't too impressed with the Tony Chachere Cajun marinade last night. But I'll give it another chance before the final verdict. It wasn't "bad", it just wasn't that impressive.

I seem to remember trying a McCormick Grill Mates 'Montreal Steak' dry seasoning some years ago. Will have to look for the marinade and give it a try.

And I have never had grouper. Sounds like I'm missing out on something good. I'll have to give it a shot.

Don't do it unless you're by the ocean, it doesn't travel well...like most fish. OBX, Florida...I would never get it at a restaurant inland. Not even DC or Baltimore where they are relatively close to the shore.

And I used the montreal steak seasoning on my filet last night...I put a little too much on it, it was a little too salty to begin with.

My daughter and her new husband are here with us for a few days before they head overseas for the next several years. We had lobsters flown in which were great last night. I bought a couple extra. Made some lobster stock last night after the carnage was over. I'm going to do a 'thermidor' type dish on Monday with the lobster meat. Gonna take the stock, add some sauteed carrots, celery, mushrooms, and snow peas, add goat cheese and parmesan, a little chicken stock, some sherry, some heavy cream, egg yolk, butter, lemon juice, and season with salt, pepper, cayenne, and some bay leaf. Serve it all over pasta.

Just an old fashioned southern meal for supper in a few hours. Hamburger splashed with BBQ sauce, sour cream and onion chips, baked beans, and deviled eggs.

While not dinner, I have been enjoying Brother El's favorite treat for lunch everyday.

The Tomato Sammich. Using my homegrown tomato's.

While not dinner, I have been enjoying Brother El's favorite treat for lunch everyday.

The Tomato Sammich. Using my homegrown tomato's.

DIS........GUS.........TING!!!!!!

El needs to try some Cherokee tomatoes - grown only in this region. Oh so sweet and super delicious.

My boss has been bugging me to try sous vide cooking - essentially using water to bring your protein up to the temperature you want while in a plastic bag. I bought a machine to monitor the temperature and maintain everything as needed and cooked my first steak last night. Unbelievable. I set the temp to 135F, brought the steak to that temp then finished by searing for a minute on both sides in a cast iron skillet. Then made a quick wine reduction sauce to go with. It was outstanding. One of the best steaks I've ever eaten (outside of Boone's grilled steak at the Tailgate a few years ago of course).

Roasted carrots, fennel and beets with it and homemade focaccia as well. And wine because I had opened a bottle for sauce and didn't want it to go to waste.

My boss has been bugging me to try sous vide cooking - essentially using water to bring your protein up to the temperature you want while in a plastic bag. I bought a machine to monitor the temperature and maintain everything as needed and cooked my first steak last night. Unbelievable. I set the temp to 135F, brought the steak to that temp then finished by searing for a minute on both sides in a cast iron skillet. Then made a quick wine reduction sauce to go with. It was outstanding. One of the best steaks I've ever eaten (outside of Boone's grilled steak at the Tailgate a few years ago of course).

Roasted carrots, fennel and beets with it and homemade focaccia as well. And wine because I had opened a bottle for sauce and didn't want it to go to waste.

I have some interest in the whole sous vide technique, but I am such a traditionalist that I balk of the idea of not really grilling the meat? Another barrier for me would be having to fire up the grill and sear it on top of already doing the sous vide process... what do the steaks look like coming out of the machine James - is searing them on a real grill just a standard requirement?

You could definitely eat them straight out of the water-bath and I suspect they'd be fantastic. For my money (don't throw things at me), the best way to cook a nice steak is cast iron, finishing in the oven. So instead of firing up the grill, I finished on the stovetop and the sear (and resultant crust) was really good. I'm contemplating trying chicken thighs this coming week, and it would be hard for me to not finish those on the grill.

One of the cuts I'm thinking I will try this way is brisket - it's supposed to take 30 hours or something like that, but also supposed to be remarkably good. You and I have talked about that specifically over the years as being a pain in the ass to do well, so I'm particularly interested in that.

One of the advantages (outside of taste/doneness) is flexibility. My wife was running late from her open house last night at school and it wasn't a big deal to delay dinner by half an hour. If I was grilling, that could have been a problem, depending on timing.

Thanks brother - I'm definitely interested ...

Stumbled onto a Pioneer Woman show where she was making a cauliflower crust pizza. Gave it a try, and although it's a little labor intensive, it was amazing. The best version was nothing more than the crust, some sauce, fresh basil and cheese. Really good.

Going to do some Chicken Tikka Masala and some homemade Naan bread for dinner.

Stumbled onto a Pioneer Woman show where she was making a cauliflower crust pizza. Gave it a try, and although it's a little labor intensive, it was amazing. The best version was nothing more than the crust, some sauce, fresh basil and cheese. Really good.

Link? I tried cauliflower breadsticks not long ago and was not pleased. Would love to try this.

Going to do some Chicken Tikka Masala and some homemade Naan bread for dinner.

Homemade Naan bread is one of my favorites. I took our second daughter on a college trip a couple of weeks ago and our campus tour guide happened to be from Iraq. So we got to talking about the food his Mom made for him growing up and the fact that I make some of those from time to time (Tagine, Naan, Chelow mostly) and I ended up inviting him for dinner. He's supposed to come a week from tonight and I will make all three of those for him - I'm excited but also a bit nervous.

Our daughter thinks I'm ridiculous and has been rolling her eyes. A lot. :)

Link? I tried cauliflower breadsticks not long ago and was not pleased. Would love to try this.

I combined several recipes, but this was the core one....

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/cauliflower-crust-pizza-1-4492450

Key things are, you have to spread the crust thin, and you absolutely have to pre-cook the crust. I pressed the crust on parchment paper and baked for 20 minutes at 375 and flipped and baked for another 10 minutes. Then assembled my pizza and cooked for another 10-15 minutes.

Made fried rice with tons of veggies and a little chicken last night, along with hot and sour soup with tiger lily buds, some chicken, tofu, and chopped kimchi. All very good.

With a daughter living in Beijing, get a lot of recipe/food recommendations. I made this one, her current favorite, last night.

Zha Jiang Mian, a meat and vegetable bowl recipe...

Key ingredient is the soybean powder/paste. I didn't have the Chinese version although it's probably available at an international market, so I subbed in Doenjang, Korean fermented soybean paste. I used diced pork but any meat would work. For the vegetables I used cucumber, celery, radish, and asparagus (cooked the asparagus in the wok first). Wish I could get better noodles but I used some storebought dry chow mien noodles. It was pretty tasty.

Mom and kids are at the beach so I cooked for myself...2 inch thick NY Strip, with saute'ed kale.

Seasoned the strip with montreal steak seasoning broiled medium. Forgot the friggin charcoal!

Saute'ed kale with 1/4 cup of garlic, couple table spoon of olive oil and half a cup of water.

DEELISH!!!

And no Ax! No f**king tomoatoes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.