• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

Nope - Wegman's hasn't made it's way down here to North Kakalakee. I do have a new Costco membership, so may check there... Big fan of Ostrich too (if you haven't tried it, amazing...) so may go that route if I can't find some venison...

I wish venison were readily available like other meats. You can find it online, but it's a pain in the ass. Other option is to start deer hunting here in NC. I'd love to do that but really don't know how to get started. I think I'd have to befriend some rednecks :)

I thought we were friends?

I wish venison were readily available like other meats. You can find it online, but it's a pain in the ass. Other option is to start deer hunting here in NC. I'd love to do that but really don't know how to get started. I think I'd have to befriend some rednecks :)

Greetings. My name is Ken.

Madonn' .... goes without saying :)

BGO deer hunting meet-up?

Homemade fish and chips for dinner tonight. Can't beat fried haddock and cod with homemade chips and Malt vinegar.

And @Chris - dry aging some flank steak in the fridge for a RE-do on Sunday or Monday.

ac0687494889b7dd67211c55285e892a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So damn good...

a39379f777914e1bbd9282a59d07ccd1.jpg

What type of fish Boone?

Edit: Just saw you had cod in the post above the finished product.

I was blessed enough to catch a nice king salmon yesterday and have him diced up a chilling at the moment. Soaking cedar boards (new technique) and have a pack of bacon waiting to wrap some bits in as well.

Any suggestions on spice or pepper additives to try?

Last edited:
Always feel like fish is best as simple as possible. Maybe a little butter and lemon and dash of salt and pepper but doubt that beautiful fish you caught need anything more :)

Dill weed and a little garlic powder is my wife and I's preferred salmon seasonings.

Last night was a little surf and turf.

The surf, was fresh fried oysters.
The turf, was marinated and grilled venison steaks.
Store bought scalloped potato's, asparagus, and Corona Light rounded out the meal.

Yum!

That sounds amazing Ax.

My brother and I did a little baked salmon thing the other night (would've worked nicely on the grill too) where we marinated the salmon in a mix of honey, sriracha sauce, soy sauce, garlic, and some cilantro. Damned good!

Always feel like fish is best as simple as possible. Maybe a little butter and lemon and dash of salt and pepper but doubt that beautiful fish you caught need anything more :)

I agree but there were a couple of fish dishes that I saw in the restaurant biz in South Florida that were extremely complex, but so friggin delicious!

Drunken Grouper - sauteed with spiced rum, butter, salt and pepper, real simple. But it was served with a sweet potato puree, infused with maple syrup, brown sugar and more spiced rum, reduced. The fish was also drizzled with the same rum, maple syrup and brown sugar reduction, topped with julienne, carrot and jalapeños. It was so awesome! And it wasn't the same dish without the japs, that small hint of spice was just enough to change to complexion of the dish. The first time I got it, the chef saw I asked for no japs, he scolded me! So I put them on the 2nd time...a huge difference absolutely delsih!

The other was another grouper dish with a stone ground mustard sauce. It was stone ground mustard, and butter with crushed pretzel. The pretzel helped absorb the sauce with the fish, keeping that stone ground mustard flavor locked into the fish.

I like the drunken grouper much better, but the other was pretty good, too.

Being a creature of habit, surf and turf is on the menu again tonight.

The turf will once again be marinated venison steaks on the grill, with a different marinade. (Tony Chachere's Cajun Marinade)
As of this moment, I'm thinking scallops will be the surf.
Dirty rice
Steamed broccoli.

Being a creature of habit, surf and turf is on the menu again tonight.

The turf will once again be marinated venison steaks on the grill, with a different marinade. (Tony Chachere's Cajun Marinade)
As of this moment, I'm thinking scallops will be the surf.
Dirty rice
Steamed broccoli.

Where you gettin' all that venison Willis? Sounds awesome. My local grocery, which still has a butcher and carries your groceries to your vehicle, makes up some killer shish kabobs. I'm marinating those in some McCormick Grill Mates 'Montreal Steak' marinade. Gonna bake some tater tots (cause I like 'em) to go with. Should be awesome.

I agree but there were a couple of fish dishes that I saw in the restaurant biz in South Florida that were extremely complex, but so friggin delicious!

Drunken Grouper - sauteed with spiced rum, butter, salt and pepper, real simple. But it was served with a sweet potato puree, infused with maple syrup, brown sugar and more spiced rum, reduced. The fish was also drizzled with the same rum, maple syrup and brown sugar reduction, topped with julienne, carrot and jalapeños. It was so awesome! And it wasn't the same dish without the japs, that small hint of spice was just enough to change to complexion of the dish. The first time I got it, the chef saw I asked for no japs, he scolded me! So I put them on the 2nd time...a huge difference absolutely delsih!

The other was another grouper dish with a stone ground mustard sauce. It was stone ground mustard, and butter with crushed pretzel. The pretzel helped absorb the sauce with the fish, keeping that stone ground mustard flavor locked into the fish.

I like the drunken grouper much better, but the other was pretty good, too.

We frequently buy the biggest grouper we can find at the beach - stuff it with peppers, mushrooms, lemon and lime slices, goat cheese, all kinds of stuff - then tie and grill it in foil. Off. The. Hook.

Yeah, needless to say, Grouper is my favorite fish. Next time you're in the OBX there is a place in Hatteras just before you get to the ferry to go over to Ocracoke that has the best Fried Grouper sandwich I've ever had. Just a little hole in the wall, you can't miss it.

Where you gettin' all that venison Willis? Sounds awesome. My local grocery, which still has a butcher and carries your groceries to your vehicle, makes up some killer shish kabobs. I'm marinating those in some McCormick Grill Mates 'Montreal Steak' marinade. Gonna bake some tater tots (cause I like 'em) to go with. Should be awesome.

The venison comes from my freezer. The 2 deer I got last hunting season will usually last me until this coming season.

Wasn't too impressed with the Tony Chachere Cajun marinade last night. But I'll give it another chance before the final verdict. It wasn't "bad", it just wasn't that impressive.

I seem to remember trying a McCormick Grill Mates 'Montreal Steak' dry seasoning some years ago. Will have to look for the marinade and give it a try.

And I have never had grouper. Sounds like I'm missing out on something good. I'll have to give it a shot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.