• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

I love lamb - and that sounds absolutely amazing!

Me - I just a cold can of corn out of the can, washed down with a Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA. And I am not kidding.

Well, you got me there.

I always have loved Lamp.

Last-ball-lamp-150x250.jpg

Jeff Lamp.

Odell yeah!

Wahoowa bitches!

Boiled ribs for like 8 hrs then baked some bullseye in/on them. Homemade biscuits, corn and baked beans. Great meal the better half did.

I made ravioli last night with leftover lobster meat, shrimp, shallots, chives, and ricotta. Served in a tomato cream sauce with chopped shrimp and a touch of cognac.

The wife called it restaurant worthy and she is one tough judge.

I think I have perfected the art of Carolina BBQ. Wow. And I'm not even a pulled pork fanatic, but I've never had better than the stuff I made last weekend.

Made a corn-jalapeno-cream cheese-butter mixture last night with tacos; am warming up the leftovers this morning for lunch with a tortilla. Won't be eating for another hour at least, but am already thinking about it...

I made some chili the other night, nothing special...pretty basic but good enough. So I go for a bowl from the leftovers for lunch today and knew I needed to add something beside a little salt. I used Boone's habanera salt....Wow! I should have used it while I was cooking it! Delicious! It always amazes me how a simple spice can make all the difference.

Yeah, I'm almost out of my last jar - been using it on hard-boiled eggs...

Went to my local grocery to pick up a brisket last evening. Was going to do a midnight brisket smoke last night, but they didn't have any brisket. They did have a whole NY strip (think 10-15 ny strip steaks all lined up together uncut, a total of over 10 lbs of them). Usually, this slab of steaks would cost $80-$90, but it was on sale for 1/2 that. So I grabbed it. I could've just cut it into steaks and frozen them. But decided to experiment. I trimmed off most of the fat (they have a fat cap almost like a brisket), made a wet rub of paprika, garlic/onion powder, cumin, fresh ground pepper, kosher salt, brown sugar, and some homebrew and rubbed the thing down, refrigerated overnight. It's on the smoker at 225 degrees right now with a handfull of applewood chips. I don't think I can do it like a brisket. Brisket has a lot of fat in the tissue that renders out over the 12 hours plus you would cook it 'low and slow'. This whole NY strip is much leaner. So I'm going to cook it for about 3 hours and pull it off when internal temp gets to about 140, then foil it up and let it rest in a cooler until this evening. Whatever we don't eat tonight, will slice into steaks and freeze. We'll see how it goes...

Anyone else here got a weber smokey mountain smoker or use another kind of smoker? Kind of surprised being high-testosterone football loving males I seem to be the only one?

I used to have a smoker, but apartment living doesn't allow for one. When we buy a house, one of my first projects will be building a brick smoker in the back yard!

PS: always leave the fat cap on, Boone! Smoking 101! :)

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I didn't cut it all off - would probably have left more of it if I were cooking this thing for 12+ hours. But with a 3-4 hour cook, there's no value in leaving all that fat. It's just going to sit there :)

And I'm at least to smoker level 102.

Just checked to temp after barely over 2 hours in the smoker. Already 140+ so it's in foil in a cooler now.

Last edited:
Oh, you're way more advanced than me. Just a friendly poke. :)

How did I miss that? Sheesh. I have a Bradley Smoker, use it a bunch. Love any sort of pork that comes out of it, though chicken is a very close second. Some of the best, most tender chicken you can taste. Good stuff.

I will be smoking a brisket here soon. Originally, I thought it would be tomorrow for the Super Bowl, but then I remembered we're going to the JMU BBall game tomorrow afternoon so I won't be around to babysit it. Probably Friday then, I would think. Either way, it's gonna be good. How did your brisket you referenced above turn out Boone?

Man - I am embarrassed to admit - since I rarely fail when it comes to producing a good meal, but I totally ruined that whole New York Strip. There just wasn't enough fat/marbling in that cut of meat to work well with low and slow cooking. I didn't anticipate it would cook so quickly, even at just 200 degrees it was done in a little over 2 hours. It tasted like a standard run of the mill roast. Totally pedestrian. Like I said, I ruined what would have been 12-15 beautiful steaks had I just cut them up and thrown them in the freezer. I won't make that mistake again. Funny how you can take the toughest cut of beef (brisket) but treat it gently and slowly and it is amazing, but try the same thing with one of the tenderest flavorful cuts of beef and you wouldn't want to serve it to anyone you care about. Lesson learned.

Sorry man, didn't mean to remind you, I was just curious. Live and learn, and at least the steak was on sale.

I'm going to try some new freshly ground rub ingredients for this brisket, and instead of using the traditional apple juice/cider as a rub/marinade, I am going to use a lager from a local brewery. I'm anticipating greatness. :)

Man - I am embarrassed to admit - since I rarely fail when it comes to producing a good meal, but I totally ruined that whole New York Strip. There just wasn't enough fat/marbling in that cut of meat to work well with low and slow cooking. I didn't anticipate it would cook so quickly, even at just 200 degrees it was done in a little over 2 hours. It tasted like a standard run of the mill roast. Totally pedestrian. Like I said, I ruined what would have been 12-15 beautiful steaks had I just cut them up and thrown them in the freezer. I won't make that mistake again. Funny how you can take the toughest cut of beef (brisket) but treat it gently and slowly and it is amazing, but try the same thing with one of the tenderest flavorful cuts of beef and you wouldn't want to serve it to anyone you care about. Lesson learned.

I told you, always leave the fat cap on! :p

The whole reason brisket works well is because it's so tough... You have to break it down with low temperatures for a long time to tenderize it. No need to tenderize a strip as you said, so it's not ideal for "low n slow." I was still pulling for the strips to be awesome though, sorry they didn't come out very good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.