• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

I have never, not even once, attempted homemade mac and cheese. But several of you have talked about it and it sounds amazing. May have to give it a try one of these days.

I've eaten dozens of homemade recipes and tried several myself. They all had one thing in common - they sucked :(

For me, the problem is I am a cheeseaholic, and they never seem to taste like cheese. They always taste sour, and it ruins it for me. To this day, the best tasting mac and cheese I've ever had is the stuff at Cheesecake Factory. Super cheesy.

Make this mac n cheese, it is life changing. I guarantee you that you'll love it, unless you mess it up somehow. :)

Pimiento Mac and Cheese - Bon Appétit

Last time I made mac-n-cheese I added diced jalapenos. The texture and heat of the peppers put an interesting spin on the dish.

OMG what I would give for a pulled pork sandwich.

Tonight was supposed to be steak and shrimp at the chow hall but had stupid ass shepherds pie instead.....BLEH!!! Damn you Mara

Wedding catering is stupid expensive. Elephant, any time you want to share how you put on a wedding for 100 people for $5K (or whatever it was), you're welcome to share your secrets. After food, staff, rentals, tax & gratuity, I'm finding it hard to get a quote for less than $60 per person. And that's just catering.

Have a batch of homemade meatballs and sauce going on the stove. Nothing better than cooking the meatballs right in the sauce. Cant wait!

I bought my first smoker yesterday. I spent 3 minutes looking at Big Green Eggs with a salesman giving me the hard pitch. He kept saying 'this is what you want...'. Well, no **** :) I finally just said 'it ain't about what I want, it's about what I can justify spending'. Maybe someday... I went down the road to Lowes and bought a Weber Rocky Mountain Cooker (which some pro's even use). I wanted the extra large one but apparently no one carries those in retail stores, so settled for an 18.5" version. I just threw a 12 lb brisket on it, so apparently, it's big enough :)

So, I've done brisket in the crockpot, but never tried to smoke one. I have done a lot of things on my Weber gas grill that you aren't supposed to be able to do on a gas grill (I can do a mean pulled pork with smoke even, but you're talking about having meat on a gas grill for 12 hours - it just wasn't designed for that.

Decided to go with a commercial rub, grillmates sweet and smoky, and after trimming my brisket down to get rid of most (but not all of the fat), applied my rub and put it in the fridge. I also mixed up a marinade last night so it could sit. About 1/2 a cup of the rub mix, a small bottle of pear-infused white balsamic vinegar, about a cup of orange juice, some worcestershire sauce, and some of my homemade hot sauce. Got up this morning, started my fire, and then added some olive oil to my marinade and injected the brisket. Using apple and pecan chips for smoke. Should be ready by 7:30 this evening... We'll see...I've never had great brisket so I won't have anything to compare it to, but I can't imagine it's not going to be good. Already impressed with the Weber SMC though...

Always a good sign with loyal devotees start a website to discuss a product.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/index.html

Last edited:
Just noticed the menu tonight for our dining hall. Broiled catfish sandwiches. We can have them on our choice of bread (I go with the flat bread). I'm going to have them bring over several so there will be plenty for tomorrow and maybe the next day.

Just had breakfast delivered - scrambled eggs, bacon, cantaloupe. A good, basic start to the day.

I have a taste for seafood. When leave work today will go by a local seafood market to determine main course. Leaning towards scallops, but will take a look at the tuna and salmon.

I am both shocked and horrified that the Thanksgiving meal has come and gone with nary a post in this thread.

Shameful!

We aren't having our *big* Thanksgiving meal until Saturday. I'll be smoking several wild turkeys (currently brining) for that meal. But today, with just my kids and I to cook for, I decided to experiment a little. I took a beloved Peruvian chicken recipe and applied it to traditional turkey.

Step one was butterflying the turkey. Same general task as with a chicken, but a little more work to do. Once butterflied (removal of backbone and breastplate), the turkey was soaked in lemon water (just what it sounds like, cold water with the juice of 4 fresh lemons in it). Pulled it out a couple hours later, dried the turkey off, then covered the entire turkey (over and under the skin, outside and inside the turkey) with a paste made of garlic powder, paprika, olive oil, cumin, ground pepper, kosher salt, vinegar, and white wine. Left the turkey to soak that up overnight.

Then grilled 'brick/Tuscan style' (grilled on indirect heat for 2 hours with weight on top - in my case, used a large cast iron pancake griddle plate with a 15 lb barbell on top of it to apply some pressure). Turned once while grilling.

End result is amazing, even using a gas grill. Crispy skin, moist as hell turkey, with more flavor than any turkey you've ever had in your life.

I highly recommend this method.

Here are the 'before' and 'after' shots.

Attachments

• turkey1.jpg
    turkey1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 42
  • turkey2.jpg
    turkey2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 46
I've been too busy reconciling the fact that there are some idio... er, people in this world who don't like Frank Sinatra to post in here. Communists.

We did mostly traditional stuff, but I took my wine selections very seriously today. We had 5 different kinds of artisanal cheese as an appetizer: Manchego, Blue, Farmhouse, Cheddar and Brie, and enjoyed a nice aged Merlot from Lovingston Winery about 25 miles from us. Everything was fantastic.

We then had the traditional dinner, turkey with homemade gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, broccoli casserole, sweet potatoes, dinner rolls, hash brown casserole, meat pie and cranberry sauce. I paired a nice sweet white from Crossroads Vineyard (about 30 minutes from here) called Joy White that really accentuated the turkey nicely. It helped I put a splash in the gravy when making it. :)

For dessert we had a pumpkin pie, an upside down German chocolate cake, and an apple pie with a Pumpkin Spiced Meade from Hilltop Berry Farm (about 20 minutes from here).

Everything was fantastic, I am still having trouble breathing and haven't moved for a while. The Raiders coming back to beat Dallas would be a perfect ending frankly.

That sounds like an amazing day :)

Dallas will win the NFC East this year. Do you have any idea how painful this will be for us? But it's going to happen. Damn you Dan Snyder for allowing it to occur.

Yours looks and sounds amazing as well (dinner, that is). I keep telling Em that I want her to get a turkey several other times during the year other than Thanksgiving because I'd like to try brining and smoking, and now I'd like to try your way as well. I would love to experiment a little, even though Em's turkeys are always really moist and flavorful.

I'm in for a very late but traditional dinner as I'm at work. Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, candied yams, gravy, fresh green beans cooked in slow cooker with ham hocks (my favorite way to cook them). Just thinking about it can't wait til I get home... have about another hour and a half to go yet here ::sigh::.

And yes, it is painful that Dallas is probably gonna win the NFC East...

Turkey, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, collard greens, dressing with gravy, cranberry sauce (used from fresh cranberries just shipped two days ago from farmer friends in NJ), mashed potatoes, pecan pie, and pumpkin pie. Turkey sandwiches. I'm stuffed.

Smoked pork tenderloin, pimento mac n cheese, German style bread stuffing, maple brussel sprouts, cranberry orange relish, mashed cauliflower and a few bottles of red. Pecan pie for dessert! Pic tomorrow.

It was our first time hosting, and it went smashingly!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yesterday we changed things up. We had roasted duck and turkey legs. For sides it was the usual mashed potatoes, dressing, broccoli casserole, green bean casserole, homemade mac n cheese, lima beans, and cranberry sauce.

Low country boil for dinner tonight. Pretty damn good!

Vegetarian Indian food restaurant tonight, one of our favorite spots in Houston. The place is so good, you don't miss the meat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.