• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

Tonight it's Chipotle-Lime grilled chicken skewers w/ an avocado ranch sauce that I previously put on post #1297.

Had Cajun meatloaf with mashed potatoes n gravy. Fantastic!

Went with spiral pasta and meat sauce, piece of garlic bread. Simple but filling.

Question for you guys when you shop for fish.
With all the "impostor fish" that's being sold, how do you know the fish you're getting is what it's labeled as ?
Does this happen as much when buying raw fish, as it happens in restaurants ?
What are the tip-offs, that can tell you if the fish you're buying is "food fraud" ?
(i.e. Tilapia being substituted under a Snapper label)

Grilling some ribeyes and homegrown eggplant tonight. For steaks, just made a marinade with:

Olive oil
Soy sauce
white vinegar
fresh lemon juice
orange juice
brown sugar
fresh ground pepper
garlic
5 chopped homegrown tabasco peppers

Going to be good. And spicy :)

So we took the kids apple picking on Saturday, and came home with, I **** you not, 60 lbs of apples. Yeah. So I made my first apple pie ever last night and it was ****ing great. Seriously, ridiculously good. I need to work on the presentation because the slices didn't look like slices when they came out, but the taste was outrageous. Maybe... maybe better than my mother-in-law's, but don't tell her I said that. Really good.

I will be adding apples to everything this week. I will be making curry chicken later in the week. With apples, now. Also some sort of sausage concoction will now have apples. Fried apples will be on the menu at some point. If anyone has any other brilliant apple recipes, share please.

Made a really nice potato-ham chowder for dinner. Martin's had some incredible Country VA Ham on sale, so I used a pound of that with a bunch of potatoes, leeks and onions and went to town. It was delicious. Lots of leftovers too.

Made some lentils with apple chicken sausage for dinner. The kids liked it fine, I think I put too much ketchup in, will lighten that up next time. Very good, filling and very healthy.

Made some lentils with apple chicken sausage for dinner. The kids liked it fine, I think I put too much ketchup in, will lighten that up next time. Very good, filling and very healthy.

Do you make your own sausage? I want to get a grinder so I can, I will probably register for the mixer with the meat-grinder attachment.

Yeah... no. I have the mixer and the attachment, and the casings, but have never actually done it, though I want. Martin's has these great deals on meat that is about to expire and we have a huge freezer, so I snag all kinds of stuff for cheap. I get the organic chicken sausage for like $2 for 5 links. Pretty great.

Yeah... no. I have the mixer and the attachment, and the casings, but have never actually done it, though I want. Martin's has these great deals on meat that is about to expire and we have a huge freezer, so I snag all kinds of stuff for cheap. I get the organic chicken sausage for like $2 for 5 links. Pretty great.

Ah, well you mentioned all the apples, so that's why I was wondering. :)

Yeah, it's a good idea, and I have a feeling if I actually got around to doing it, it would rock. Sadly, I don't having time for a while now. For some reason, my Sunday afternoons for the next 5 months are suddenly very full.

Do you make your own sausage? I want to get a grinder so I can, I will probably register for the mixer with the meat-grinder attachment.

No but he plays with it!

Apologies to all, I just couldn't resist!

Ignoring the Elephant in the room...

Made Salmon-Cakes this evening with baked potatoes and a salad. Very nice. The salmon was very nice and simple, with some bourbon mustard as the base.

This past Sunday for dinner I slow roasted a Boston Butt. It was one I previously posted here that used a cola, brown sugar, and ac vinegar glaze.

Today I reaped the spoils and made sandwiches from the leftover pork. The sauce is a North Carolina one, the slaw is crispy and tart with mustard and a lot of celery seed.

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

Last edited:
Ever find an item from a large corporate restaurant chain that is so good, so incredibly good, that you become obsessed about making it yourself?

It happened to me.

I absolutely love the cole slaw at Smokey Bones. Everything else there I can easily live without. I have resorted, from time to time, to driving to my somewhat local location to buy a supply of the slaw.

Just the slaw.

Yeah, I like it that much.

So, I set out on an internet search for the recipe or a reasonable copy-cat facsimile. No dice. I tried cajoling/bribing restaurant employees. Again, no dice. (Though I did get a large container free from a empathetic asst. manager.)

I decided it was up to me and my tastebuds to formulate a righteous re-creation.

It took several batches of small amounts to dial it in. Different mayos, different vinegars, different quantities of each ingredients, etc. Like a mad scientist, I mixed, tasted, added, tasted, added again, relentlessly tasked my wife with sampling and suggesting, until I got as close as I possibly could. In fact, although not an exact clone, I believe it's even better than that from The Bones.

With that said- if anyone of power (money) within their corporate offices would like this new improved recipe, I'm available. :)

Here is the sauce:

IMG_0423.jpg

The assembled slaw-

IMG_0424.jpg

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.