• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

oh hun, I wasnt really going to eat a loaf of bread today.

I am actually reading up on this and the more I know, the more I am going to shy away from bread. and its a shame, too. Because I LOVE bread!
Haha, I know you were joking. I was kidding about being sorry for you. I really need a better way to express my sarcasm. My story about devouring bread overseas, totally true though, lol.

Special K, what do you put in your Guac? I LOVE a good guac...
Let me find my journal and get back to you. I haven't made the guac recently and forget the exact ingredients.

Sea salt, lime, avocado, red onions and tomatoes is how I've always done it. A lot of people apparently add cilantro, but it's always tasted like Windex to me.

I sooooo agree on the Cilantro. Its overused iMHO
Can you believe that up until now, I have never found anyone that agreed with me on this? I was starting to wonder if maybe my tastebuds were just extra sensitive or something, because everyone loves it so much. I cringe at the thought of it, it's like spraying kitchen cleaner on your food :laugh:

Last night's dinner was fish tacos. Awesome as always. Catfish marinated in lime/pepper/olive oil/garlic, with shredded red cabbage, a mixture of Tabasco chipotle and sour cream, con queso cheese, black beans and fried onions all on a tortilla. Can't beat it.

Wow, I love cilantro (not surprising we disagree, Ex :D). Not as much as I love garlic, but I definitely love it. You don't need a ton of it, but its definitely an amazing flavor. I've had good guac with and without it, though.

I created what will be the signature dish of my imaginary restaurant (that will likely never open). I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I finally executed it:

Sauteed butternut squash & chicken breast with mint-lime pesto.

So simple, so amazing. I've never seen or heard of anything like it. The pesto really accentuates the flavor of the caramelized squash...the chicken breast was in there for healthy protein, but I'm thinking something like lamb could take the dish to a whole-other level.

I have always used a little cilantro in guacamole. Also a little garlic.

I love flavor of cilantro, almost as much as I do basil. We grow both in our herb garden.

I have always used a little cilantro in guacamole. Also a little garlic.

I love flavor of cilantro, almost as much as I do basil. We grow both in our herb garden.

Garlic, cilantro, lime is my favorite flavor-profile of all time. Whip up a quick sauce with some EVO and that, and I'm like the old lady from the Frank's Red Hot commercials - I put that **** on everything!

Wow, I love cilantro (not surprising we disagree, Ex :D). Not as much as I love garlic, but I definitely love it. You don't need a ton of it, but its definitely an amazing flavor. I've had good guac with and without it, though.
I love garlic, but cilantro? :puke:

Thinking about it makes me ill.

My guac is onions, cilantro, fresh lime juice, and avocados, it's pretty damned good. Always up for new suggestions.

Next time you go through there, hunt down 'Durty Nelly's'. Great pub with it's deli (Wayside Deli). Amazing sandwiches. I lived there for a couple of years :)

OK. Made it back to CVille today, and happened to be right up the street from Durty Nellie's, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Wow. Pretty damned good Sailor Sandwich. Quite possibly the best I've had, really, REALLY good.

Thanks, John. If you (or BB or Neo) have any other recommendations, I'm listening.

I think I know what to send you for Christmas now.

i_love_cilantro_tshirt-p235617375765966714bhfuu_400_zpsaa94380e.jpg

Special K, what do you put in your Guac? I LOVE a good guac...
Ok, found it.

Avocado, diced tomato, fresh squeezed lemon juice, minced onions, a little garlic I grind up in mortar and pestle, cilantro, salt, dashes of black pepper and cayenne pepper.

Sea salt, lime, avocado, red onions and tomatoes is how I've always done it. A lot of people apparently add cilantro, but it's always tasted like Windex to me.
This summer my sister-in-law told me about a National Geographic article regarding cilantro, taste buds and genetics. Part of the population loves the taste, but it tastes like soap the rest. It's like one or the other and based on our genetics. I don't know how true that is, I should look up the article and/or research, but it would make sense to me as everyone I know who dislikes cilantro says it tastes like some sort of the cleaning agent to them.

Regardless, I like cilantro, so it's in my guac :laugh:

Ok, found it.

Avocado, diced tomato, fresh squeezed lemon juice, minced onions, a little garlic I grind up in mortar and pestle, cilantro, salt, dashes of black pepper and cayenne pepper.

This summer my sister-in-law told me about a National Geographic article regarding cilantro, taste buds and genetics. Part of the population loves the taste, but it tastes like soap the rest. It's like one or the other and based on our genetics. I don't know how true that is, I should look up the article and/or research, but it would make sense to me as everyone I know who dislikes cilantro says it tastes like some sort of the cleaning agent to them.

Regardless, I like cilantro, so it's in my guac :laugh:
Mortar and pestle is the way to go, just like some of the Mexican places around here do tableside. It's so much better than using a food processor.

The thing about the cilantro makes a lot of sense, because outside of SS, I've never actually talked to anyone that hated it. Every time I tell people I hate it because it tastes like cleaner to me, they look at me like I'm crazy. At least now I know I might be crazy, but at least there's an explanation :laugh:

edit: According to this study, it tastes like soap to about 12% of us......http://www.flavourjournal.com/content/1/1/22/abstract That's crazy.

Here's a good NYTimes article on it.....http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14curious.html?ref=style&_r=0 Apparently by me being so vocal about hating cilantro, I'm not just an ass, apparently all cilantro haters are very vocal about it :D

Radicchio also has a very strong and very odd taste to me, but it's more like licking a battery. I have to pick it out of salads when I see some in there.

Last edited:
Fresh ginger tastes like windex to me (although I still like it). Cilantro indoor ration is great. Lets face it though, your tastes are your tastes.

It's true about tastes. I've had people tell me it's because my tastes must not be as developed as most people. I know that was inaccurate, because cilantro, radicchio and conch are the only things I've ever eaten that I will actively avoid because they disgust me. I eat all fruits and vegetables, even oddball ones most people never knew existed, and I'm the same way with meats, herbs, etc. I like all the stuff people like and all the stuff people hate. Except cilantro, conch and radicchio. But especially cilantro :puke:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.