• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

Store bought just isn't the same. Sweet Baby Rays and Stubbs are about all I eat store bought, but they can't touch homemade.

Damn right, now I know what I'm making tomorrow. Good combo.

Funny - Sweet Baby Ray's 'Sweet and Spicy' is the only storebought I'll use....get outta my head man... :)

Funny - Sweet Baby Ray's 'Sweet and Spicy' is the only storebought I'll use....get outta my head man... :)
That's a staple in our house, because my daughter has been hooked on it forever. We went to Sam's one time and saw a giant bottle , 48oz or somewhere in that range, I thought she was gonna faint :laugh:

Since everyone ate while I was working on my truck today, I got to have a simple dinner that I don't eat nearly enough. I went to the store and picked up the ingredients for the best sandwich money can buy that isn't a delicatessen reuben. I had pastrami and aged swiss on rye with Inglehoffer sweet hot stone ground mustard. I swear I could've eaten a stack of them.

Ha, Stubbs and Sweet Baby Ray's are my store-bought go-tos also. Great minds...

Also Rudy's, but its only available at a Rudy's, and I think they're only in Texas. Very good sauce.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Alright - here's the recipe. I brine a bunch of chicken legs in a couple quarts of water, 2 TBSP of kosher salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, fresh thyme, and a handful of mashed up garlic cloves. I grill my legs until nearly falling off the bone, then pull off the grill, toss in the below sauce, and return to the grill to carmelize.

The Ultimate Barbecue Sauce:

1 slice bacon
1 bunch fresh thyme
Extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika if available
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Wrap the bacon around the bunch of thyme and tie with kitchen twine so you have a nice bundle. Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the thyme and cook slowly 3 to 4 minutes to render the bacon fat and give the sauce a nice smoky taste. Add the onion and garlic and cook slowly without coloring for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, give the sauce a stir, and turn the heat down to low. Cook slowly for 20 minutes to meld the flavors. Once the sauce is done cooking, remove about 1 1/2 cups of the sauce and reserve for serving along side the chicken at the table. The rest of the barbecue sauce will be used for coating the legs.

I think I want to make a BGO cookbook with all of our recipes in it. I know a company that can make them for me for a decent price if anyone would be interested. By decent price, I mean they're professionally made and only cost about $6. I'll get a dozen or so made up, and you can just pay in the form of making a BGO donation in exchange for a book.

As soon as I get them, I'll post pics up for those who want to decide based on the final product.

Got stuck in a rut after losing about 16 pounds...couldn't get past the 240 mark after getting up to 256 after back surgery. Last week I cut wheat out of my diet entirely like has been suggested by a doctor friend of mine. I took 7 pounds off last week. 242-235 after giving up the wheat. The diet has been a bit fun since my wife is trying to come along...

Tonight she cooked a spaghetti squash with a fantastic butternut squash sauce with italian chicken sausage spread over the squash...

It was easily the best dish she's ever cooked for us!

Mike, if you are so inclined, pick up Wheat Belly sometime. It goes into great detail about how wheat has been genetically modified to the point that it is no longer recognizable from our grandmother's wheat. Pretty interesting stuff.

Yeah, I went on a total wheat purge a couple of months ago, and it was effing hard. Broke my heart.

I'd love to give up wheat, because I'm a fatass and my doctor says having O- blood makes wheat extra bad for me, but the **** is just in everything. It's so hard to avoid, and quite frankly I'm not willing to spend all that time reading ingredient labels every time I want to eat something.

Whole wheat bread its better than white bread. Wheat is in both, one is a whole grain, the other isn't.

Wheat bread also has more gluten and sugar than white bread. Wheat bread also has more calories.

Would love some details on spinach kale salad please. :D
I liked it. I really don't mind kale, never have. I try to include dark greens in as many of my meals as I can.

I promise that me, Boone, Lanky and a few others can make you more top notch than you'd imagine. I'm convinced our combination of skills can make anyone who thinks they can't cook a better cook. I know it's a long thread, but we have some crazy good recipes in here. Even our side dishes are awesome. Grilled romaine and grilled avocados will change your life. Brace yourself though, you'll eat it for a month :laugh:

If you try the romaine recipe I posted, read until you get to Boone's alteration, it makes it awesomersuperdelicious.
Sweet! I love grilling...it's actually the only type of cooking I can do relatively "ok."

Ha, Stubbs and Sweet Baby Ray's are my store-bought go-tos also. Great minds...

Also Rudy's, but its only available at a Rudy's, and I think they're only in Texas. Very good sauce.
OMG, I LOVE Rudy's sauces. They a restaurant in Colorado Springs. It's not open on Thanksgiving though (as my roommate and I were so upset to find out this year, haha).

I didnt realize wheat was "bad" for you. I always thought that choosing wheat over white bread was because it was healthier. That's interesting.
It's still more nutritious than white bread. And I wouldn't say it's necessarily toxic, just don't eat a whole loaf a day. Eat it sparingly. People with diseases like celiac disease, etc. are the ones for whom wheat is a major problem.

Wheat bread also has more gluten and sugar than white bread. Wheat bread also has more calories.

There is a difference between "wheat" bread and "whole wheat" bread. Typically if it says "wheat bread," its a mixture of wheat flour and normal flour. "Whole wheat" bread is made with 100% whole grain flour, which is what you want.

There is a difference between "wheat" bread and "whole wheat" bread. Typically if it says "wheat bread," its a mixture of wheat flour and normal flour. "Whole wheat" bread is made with 100% whole grain flour, which is what you want.
I get all that, but even the 100% still has more sugar. It also has more sodium. And all the hyped up nutritional benefits are trumped up too. In most brands, the only good thing that whole wheat has more of is fiber, and sometimes protein. The vitamins are essentially at the exact same levels.

I'm a fan of both personally, so it doesn't matter to me. I think Pepperidge Farm's 12 grain bread is about the best thing there is.

I get all that, but even the 100% still has more sugar. It also has more sodium. And all the hyped up nutritional benefits are trumped up too. In most brands, the only good thing that whole wheat has more of is fiber, and sometimes protein. The vitamins are essentially at the exact same levels.

I'm a fan of both personally, so it doesn't matter to me. I think Pepperidge Farm's 12 grain bread is about the best thing there is.

I think some manufacturers add salt & sugar to improve taste, because most people don't like it. Personally, I try to eat the sprouted grain breads.

sourdough bread > *

just wanted to clear that up.
Agreed. I went to about a dozen places last week trying to find good sourdough. I went to all the big name bread places, loacl bakeries, etc. and all they carry are these little ass rock hard loaves that don't taste like sourdough. It's like designer sourdough, and I hate it. I want a place where I can go get a big loaf of the soft stuff that makes your tongue tingle when you eat it.

well there goes my plans for Tuesday!
I'm sorry to hear of this, Mike.

I know how you feel though. There were 2 things I learned to make in Madagascar, actually 3: bread, awesome guac, salad dressing. My coworkers joked and called me the bread lady, b/c as soon as they showed me how to bake it (without a fancy breadmaker, lol), I was baking 4-6 loaves a week (wheat bread, rosemary bread, apple cinnamon, etc) and devouring half of it myself, haha. Me and the village lady who sold flour became BFFs. I was able to get away with it over there because that was the core of my diet, besides random fruits and veggies I'd pick up from different villages and I was active, without a vehicle I walked and hiked a lot. If I ate that much back here, I'd be well over 200 lbs, haha.

But yeah, carbs like bread and pasta are my downfall when it comes to maintaining a clean diet. Oh, and chocolate ice cream. And cookies. And Doritoes. And brownies. And apple pie. And...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.