• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

They say brisket is the hardest cut of all to do well. I've only heard of it being cooked low and slow in a smoker or charcoal grill. Did you cook it on a grill or in your oven?

I really need to man up and give it a try one of these days.

I have been thinking about buying a 'Big Green Egg' so I could really do some quality (and authentic) smoking/charcoal cooking, but I just haven't worked up the nerve to make the purchase. I do love my Weber genesis gas grill.
Smoker, 16+ hours, just around 200 degrees. Get one with a thick slab of fat on it, cook fat side up. If not, it'll come out like a ****ty piece of bark. Also, wrapping and unwrapping it in foil multiple times throughout makes the magic happen :D

My son is home for spring break and asked for seafood. Menu last night was fried flounder, seared scallops, braised Brussels sprouts with bacon, and Quinoa.

My son is home for spring break and asked for seafood. Menu last night was fried flounder, seared scallops, braised Brussels sprouts with bacon, and Quinoa.
OK, please explain the brussel sprouts...I'm not a fan, but my husband loves 'em. (I usually just steam 'em.)

DiamondSkin, crisp some bacon in a pan. Add some Brussels sprouts (cut in half), add a little chicken stock and maybe mushrooms and garlic, then cover and stir occasionally. When about fork tender remove and drain off any excess liquid. Add crispy bacon back and mix well. That is it.

Had some smoked salmon for dinner - shipped in from my favorite place to order in the Northwest. Sweet peas. Vegetable salad to start. Green tea.

I'm notorious for not being adept at, eh, cooking any food whatsoever. Since I have a few months of downtime, I'm determined to elevate my cooking ability from "majorly sucks" to "mildly sucks." Hope to use some of the tips in this thread to help in my kitchen adventures :)

Anyway, last night I baked an Italian turkey sausage lasagna with homemade tomato sauce. Holy crap, best lasagna I've ever had. The freshness of the ingredients and the spices of the italian sausage made the dish. Also had a spinach and kale salad with homemade Italian dressing...about the only recipe I learned in Madagascar and brought back with me to use regularly here at home.

You could probably make cat turds edible if you put enough maple syrup on them :) That does sound good though.

I like my brussel sprouts simple. Going to grill them with a little olive oil, then toss them with some vinegar, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper. They don't need much more if you ask me.

Haha, yes, yes you could. I love maple syrup.

Unless corn syrup is in the house. Mmmm. Corn syrup!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362958363.288314.jpg

Homemade NC BBQ chicken.

If you want the recipe, let me know - it's a 'go to' at our house. Really, really good. No reason to buy commercial BBQ sauce (although I enjoy several brands).

Last edited:
Spiced pork tenderloin with honey mustard, a sweet potato, and roasted beets. Yummm.

I'm notorious for not being adept at, eh, cooking any food whatsoever. Since I have a few months of downtime, I'm determined to elevate my cooking ability from "majorly sucks" to "mildly sucks." Hope to use some of the tips in this thread to help in my kitchen adventures :)

Anyway, last night I baked an Italian turkey sausage lasagna with homemade tomato sauce. Holy crap, best lasagna I've ever had. The freshness of the ingredients and the spices of the italian sausage made the dish. Also had a spinach and kale salad with homemade Italian dressing...about the only recipe I learned in Madagascar and brought back with me to use regularly here at home.
I promise that me, Boone, Lanky and a few others can make you more top notch than you'd imagine. I'm convinced our combination of skills can make anyone who thinks they can't cook a better cook. I know it's a long thread, but we have some crazy good recipes in here. Even our side dishes are awesome. Grilled romaine and grilled avocados will change your life. Brace yourself though, you'll eat it for a month :laugh:

If you try the romaine recipe I posted, read until you get to Boone's alteration, it makes it awesomersuperdelicious.

View attachment 539

Homemade NC BBQ chicken.

If you want the recipe, let me know - it's a 'go to' at our house. Really, really good. No reason to buy commercial BBQ sauce (although I enjoy several brands).
Store bought just isn't the same. Sweet Baby Rays and Stubbs are about all I eat store bought, but they can't touch homemade.

Spiced pork tenderloin with honey mustard, a sweet potato, and roasted beets. Yummm.
Damn right, now I know what I'm making tomorrow. Good combo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.