• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

It was exactly as you think it could be ;)

I used Breyer's vanilla.

The rainy and cool weather here in NC inspired me to make a favorite, Jambalaya, this evening. So sauteed some yellow and green onions, celery, garlic, and green peppers, added some canned tomatoes and chicken stock. Then some braised beef ribs, chopped up, and a cup or two of cubed cooked ham. Then browned some hot link sausage in a separate pan and added that, along with the drippings. Finished off with some worcestershire, some fresh thyme, salt, and fresh ground pepper. Finally, for the last 20 minutes, added a couple cups of dry rice, and more than a dash or two of Texas Pete.

Very nice comfort food :)

My mom's over with me and the little one and I think we're going to make Matzabrae--

A staple among many Ashkenazi households. I prefer mine with salt, but some like it with jelly. :)

Just got off a long day at work and unfortunately I have another one tomorrow so it is left over meatloaf tonight I will steam some broccoli and make some mash taters to go with it, nothing special.

The good thing is since I am gonna miss going to the Skins game:tantrum:, I am going to my favorite restaurant on the way home from the photo shoot tomorrow where I will have a wonderful NY Strip topped with grilled scallions and a small dab of mushroom ketchup with pomme fondant (potatoes stewed in duck fat).

My mom's over with me and the little one and I think we're going to make Matzabrae--

A staple among many Ashkenazi households. I prefer mine with salt, but some like it with jelly. :)

So, either with the salt or jelly, what IS it? :)

So, either with the salt or jelly, what IS it? :)
Basically butter sautéed matza held together with scrambled eggs--delicious! Almost like an Ashkenazi rendering of French toast though maybe that's really more of challah French toast--also great. :)

Making some mexican-style grilled chicken tacos (chicken marinated in negro modello beer, liberal amount of ground ancho chili powder, sesame oil, some fresh garlic, oregano, black pepper, cayenne pepper) with some homemade guacamole as a condiment.

Side dish will be an arugula salad topped with some warm grilled corn, red pepper, onion, garlic, and italian sausage...

Last edited:
I fix this all the time and my family loves it. The more seafood you use the better, minimum of 2 lbs. Fixed the other night for my son's 18th birthday per his request. That night also added 1 lb. bay scallops and 2 lbs. snow crab meat.

Seafood Bisque

1-2 lbs crabmeat (lump preferred)
1-2 lbs shrimp (chopped)
½ cup minced onion
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons minced shallots
2 tablespoons minced celery
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoons salt & cracked pepper
1 cup shrimp stock
2 cups milk
2 cups cream
2 bay leaves

Heat oil in large heavy pot over medium heat. Add
flour one table spoon at a time to make a light brown roux. 5-10 minutes stirring constantly.

Add onion, shallots, celery, garlic, salt and pepper,
Cook stirring occasionally, until onions soften.
(about 4 minutes) Slowly stir in stock. Add bay leaves
and bring to a boil. Add milk and cream. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

Stir in crabmeat and/or shrimp and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves.

(can add green onion w/seafood)
(can garnish with chives and sherry)

I also recommend adding cayenne pepper with the onion, garlic, etc.
Took it out of my recipe, because wife has acid reflux really bad

Last edited:
This is on the menu for one night this week. (Tequila Marinated London Broil)

2 cloves garlic ( I like garlic, so have done more)
1 cup tequila
1 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup sesame oil, optional
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 1/2 pounds London broil

Optional: 1 jalapeno seeded.

Mix ingredients in a blender to smooth. Place beef in non-reactive dish
and cover with marinade. Flip at least once to coat both sides. Let
get happy for 4-6 hours.

Place London Broil on a hot grill. Grill for about 20-25 minutes. You can flip it every 4 or 5 minutes or just once.

Then let rest for 5-10 minutes. 10 is better. The cut on the bias in thin strips.

**Key... Don't use cheap tequila. Use something that you'd be willing to
drink.

This marinade is good with chicken or whatever.

This is my version of an old family recipe. Normally don't give this recipe out.

1 lb. Crabmeat
1 lg egg
1 tablespoon Mayo
1 tablespoon Mustard
1 tablespoon Vinegar
1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 or 2 slices of bread
1 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
1-2 teaspoons of fresh ground pepper

Optional:
1 small onion chopped

Mix all the ingredients above. (note: tear the bread into small peices)
form into patties. Then place in frying pan, which oil should be heated
to 360 or medium high. Now just fry like you would a burger. Few minutes on each side.

Recommend using lump crabmeat. If fixing more than 1 batch, I will mix
pound of lump with pound of special (regular). This just helps make more
crabcakes while holding cost down.

Doing the turkey for the crew at my Dad's tomorrow. 20lb bird. Figure I'll grill it on my weber gas grill in the morning, probably take about 3 1/2 to 4 hours...stuff it with poultry herbs, onion, garlic cloves, and an orange. Going to grill it in a broiling pan with some chicken stock in it, put carrots, potatoes, onion, parnsips in the pan. When I'm done with the turkey, will food process the vegetables with the broth and use it as a gravy base.

Also doing some appetizers rolling up some smoked salmon, dill, and cream cheese (with a dash of ground red pepper) slicing it up and putting it on melba toast.

The rest of the feast is up to my fellow family members...

Was in Buffalo early this week, then on to Charlotte for a few days, where, ironically, I found myself at a local infamous burger joint ordering a 'Buffalo Chicken Burger' :)

It was damn good.

So tonight, replicated it. Very simple. Soak some chicken breasts in a healthy amount of Texas Pete hot sauce (I bought one of those gigantic bottles and used about 1/2 a cup of it - don't be shy though, this isn't a very spicy sandwich - most of the hot sauce will burn off, but the more the better the flavor). I grilled the chicken breasts until they were done with some nice searing on them. Then I put a couple spoon-fuls of bleu cheese on each breast and popped them into a pre-heated oven to broil for a few minutes (don't burn them! just broil long enough for the cheese to start to melt).

While they were in the oven, prepared some Philly rolls (the ones I ate at the burger joint were served on a burger roll, but the Philly roll made them easier to assemble. A little mayo on both sides of the roll, then put a chicken breast on it, topped with sliced tomato and some shredded lettuce.

My family devoured them. Very simple, very quick, and very good.

Lemme know how it turns out :)

I made some jambalaya last night with pork spareribs, ham, link sausage, rice, tomatoes, etc... Not very fitness-friendly, but hey, it's the holiday season. Going to be having that later today after I get done exercising.

Actually split the recipe into two pots, one "leaded" and one "unleaded" for the girls.

I'll let you know.

That jambalaya sounds good too. You really should do a cook book.

Doing a similar version of the chili recipe I posted over on TN except with ground turkey instead of pork....how'd yours turn out Bob?

Turned out very good, Boone. Would have been better but somehow I forgot the garlic (D'uh!) and I think it might have needed to stay on the heat longer but all in all, it was very good. Actually, it is still good as there were lots of leftovers so put some in the fridge and froze some for later.

Grilled filet mignon drizzled with a little olive oil, sea salt & cracked pepper.

Grilled asparagus drizzled w/olive oil, sea salt, lemon and tossed in sesame oil.

Potato pancakes.

Beer

Ran by Mom's house to raid the fridge (LOL! Yeah, I am 41 and still raid Mom's fridge from time to time!) and was very happy to see her home made Beef Barley soup. Hmmmm...lots of stewed onions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.