• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

Not fair, Mark. :policeman:

The recipe police demand that you share the details for this one.

Be happy to. :)

DLSF actually missed dinner last night but had a leftover one today and made a point to tell me how good it was. It's pretty easy to make too.

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs fresh flounder filets (4-5 pieces)
1 cup backfin crabmeat (1 cup = 8 oz)
1.5 tsp chopped green pepper
1.5 tsp chopped pimiento
.25 tsp dry mustard
.25 tsp worcestershire sauce
.25 tsp salt
.125 tsp pepper
.25 tsp Old Bay
1 dash cayenne
4 saltine crackers crushed
1 egg, separated
6 Tbs Mayo
1 Tbs chopped parsley
.25 cup butter
.25 tsp paprika

Rinse and dry flounder. In a medium bowl, add crabmeat, green pepper, pimiento, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, Old Bay, cayenne, and crackers.

In another small bowl, combine the egg white and only 1 Tbs of the mayo. Mix. Then add to the crab mixture and toss until well blended.

Brush filets with some of the melted butter, then place in greased shallow baking pan and top each filet with the crab mixture. Drizzle remaining butter over top of stuffed filets.

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine egg yolk and remaining 5 Tbs of mayo.

Pull fillets out of oven and turn oven up to 450.

Spread egg mixture on top of each fillet and sprinkle with paprika.

When oven is 450, place fillets in oven and cook six minutes longer until golden and bubbly.

Look for me at my usual spot in front of Gate C - maybe I'll have an extra one for you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Be happy to. :)

Thanks, Mark, it sounds wonderful. I will definitely try this very soon.

Tonight I'm making Vietnamese-style beef with stir-fried vegetables served over white rice. I'll post the recipe tomorrow.

Im grilling 1.5 inch porkchops that i had marinading in italian dressings for about 30 hours. mmmmmmmmmm i cant wait to pull them off the grill. :chef:

By popular demand, I'm cooking up my version of The World's Greatest Hamburger tonight.

My burger was inspired by Mark The Homer's epic online quest to recreate at home his favorite restaurant burger. Although my recipe shares similarities with Mark's, especially where the meat is concerned, my cooking method is what really gets the ooh's & ahh's.

The secret? Cast iron.

I place my well-seasoned cast iron fry pan on my outdoor grill, heat it to 450°, and lay on the meat. The cast iron does the rest. If formed properly and seasoned correctly, like I learned from Mark, the result is a slightly crispy, crumbly, burger full of juicy flavor. A definite three-four napkin delight.

I'm going to serve them with grilled fresh pineapple but need suggestions for a second quick summer side other than potato, macaroni, or other salads.

Anyone care to help a brother out?

(Special props to MTH, one of my cooking idols.) :king:

I'll give you one quick and easy side, the other pretty easy but a little more work...

First the quick and easy - just buy some smaller zucchini, cut into 6th's lengthwise, soak in bottled italian dressing of your choosing and gril until almost limp. Very quick, delicious, and easy. A basket is easiest on the grill if you have one.

Now the more complicated:

Spicy Grilled Fries

Nothing beats home-made fries—except home-made fries on the grill!

4 medium baking potatoes, scrubbed (about 1-1/2 pounds)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1/2 x 1/2–inch sticks. Combine potatoes, oil, and lemon juice in large, resealable plastic bag; toss to coat.

In small bowl combine seasoned salt, cumin, and black pepper to make seasoning mix. Set aside.

Lay the potatoes perpendicular to the bars on the cooking grate. Grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until tender and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes, turning twice. Remove from the grill and sprinkle with the seasoning mix. Serve warm.

Makes 4 servings.

I'll give you one quick and easy side, the other pretty easy but a little more work...

First the quick and easy - just buy some smaller zucchini, cut into 6th's lengthwise, soak in bottled italian dressing of your choosing and gril until almost limp. Very quick, delicious, and easy. A basket is easiest on the grill if you have one.

Do squash the same way, they go great together.

BTW, has anybody noticed the bi-colored corn? My wife calls is butter & sugar corn because it's made up of random white and yellow kernals. She used to get it up in CT, but it's been making an appearance in Maryland farmer's markets the past couple years. I get it at on Sat mornings at the farmer's market in Kensington. Comes from PA. It's great!

Going southern style for Sunday dinner. Some barbecued chicken and sausage on the grill...for a side, going to try something I'm making up on the fly. Going to roast some local corn on the grill, but it off the cob, and mix it in a big bowl with some chopped tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, salt and fresh ground pepper, some chopped red onion, dash of olive oil, and a squeeze or two of fresh lime juice.

No idea how that'll turn out, but I felt inspired at the grocery store :)

I'm fixing up Mark's crab-stuffed flounder recipe and serving it with buttered baby potatoes and sliced tomatoes.

**EDIT**

The flounder was awesome. (The crab stuffing would work very well on baked stuffed-shrimp, as well.)

Last edited:
The results:

(again, taking pics of dinner=loserdome? Oh hell yeah).

[media]http://www.bgobsession.com/jhj/misc 123.jpg[/media]

[media]http://www.bgobsession.com/jhj/misc 124.jpg[/media]

[media]http://www.bgobsession.com/jhj/misc 125.jpg[/media]

Technically, I like the way the pics blow up.

Gastronomically, , it looks good. Very good. :)

We're just having steak, corn on cob, salad, rice.

Tonight we had steamed broccoli, steamed okra, some long grain brown rice and some sauteed chicken breasts marinated in Worchestershire Sauce, honey, olive oil, and the Portuguese hot sauce that I recommended earlier in the thread.

It came out alright, but man I wish I had a grill! :)

Crabcakes tonight, with some mashed new potatoes with sour cream, chives, and asiago cheese. Simple.

Oh, and a cold one or two from a Charlottesville brewery I haven't tried previously.

Grilled pork chops treated with a homemade Memphis style dry rub, home made BBQ sauce, baked beans, salad and bread...

And a homebrew Honey Pale Ale.

Speaking of...how was the brew from the C-ville brewery, Boone?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.