• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

It will be a surprise for me. I lack basic energy today and called the medical team to bring me a decent meal - emphasis on decent. It will probably be something like meat loaf or ham with vegetables. Their stuff is actually fairly good - it should be here in the next thirty minutes or so.

Boone, you can email that meal anytime in the future. Not the recipe - the actual meal. :)

Homemade steak sauce? Hell yeah. Very good.

Making black bean soup tonight. Will likely serve with some kind of chicken and cheese panini.

This may be a stupid question Ren, but what kind of bread do you use when you make paninis?

Making some pork chops tonight. LOVE pork chops. Nothing beats a quality ribeye steak, but pork chops just might be my second favorite piece of meat.

Yogurt marinated chicken kabobs served w/ naan

ak7rig.jpg

That sauce was delicious!

Why does Ren keep doing this to my palate???

Going to have yellowfin tuna tonight with pineapple slices. French style green beans. Small bowl of tomato soup as appetizer. Green tea with stevia.

Was in the mood for something 'different' tonight, so dug out an old cookbook (I generally don't use them, but this one, a 'Frugal Gourmet' cookbook has some really different stuff in it).

Found a recipe for 'backwoods gumbo'. According to the author, Jeff Smith, he was in New Orleans doing a special on cajun cooking when, at the airport some cajun man ran up to him and shouted out the ingredients.

Basically, starts with a stock you make with a couple lbs of chopped chicken gizzards and equal amount of turkey necks. Boil that in 3-4 quarts of water for a couple hours. When done save the 2 quarts of stock, gizzards, and chop the turkey neck meat. Then make a roux in a skillet (you know - cook flour and butter or oil for 10 minutes until its brown and thick) and add chopped garlic, onions, green pepper, celery, and canned tomatoes). Cook until tender then throw back into the stock with the gizzards and turkey neck meat, along with some bay leaves, thyme, basil, ground pepper, salt, worcestershire, and hot sauce. Simmer for 30 minutes, then add a lb of hot sausage chopped into 1 inch lengths. Cook for another 15 minutes or so and serve over rice.

I've only done a taste test so far - but this stuff smells and tastes amazing. A little work putting together, but a very cheap meal. Under $20 for a large stockpot full.

Last edited:
I had dinner delivered by my family. Steak. Stir fried vegetables. Baked potato. Chocolate mousse.

I bought some nice venison tenderloins to prepare for Christmas dinner (for about 15 people in my extended family). Leaning towards grilling them but wondered if anyone had a lot of experience with venison? I know it's a lean meat, and I've done a little looking for recipes online (wrapping in bacon and grilling seems popular) but know some of you guys may have more experience with deer than I do :)

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Crunchy Honey Chicken and some sweet potato.

OK, you're gonna need to go into more detail than that. I have tried honey chicken so many times it's absurd, and never been able to get it right.

So.... share the recipe!

Come on peeps - I know some of you have experience with venison....gimme a little help here!

Venison can be gamy - if you think anyone might have a problem with this, I recently learned that soaking the meat in milk takes away some of the gamy-flavor. My buddy did this with dove-bombs (doves stuffed with jalapenos and cream cheese) and there was no gamy flavor at all.

Also, the main thing to worry about with Venison is drying it out, since its so lean. So, low and slow! And don't cook it over medium - if someone wants it that way, cook the loin to medium rare or so, then cook their slices a little longer if they insist. I have buddies who are much more experienced with cooking venison than I am - I'll ask around for tips. :)

Okay, here's what I've gotten so far:

You can slow cook it, and if you do, you don't need to soak it in milk. I have a friend who says slow cooking is tricky though, because its real easy to dry it out this way.

His preference is to cook it with high heat to rare or medium rare, after soaking in milk overnight (if you want to remove the gamy flavor). A bacon wrapping will help keep it moist!

Thanks Lank...that's consistent with what I'm reading on the web...high heat but not for too long...

I'm likely going to soak in milk for a couple hours (can't hurt anything), then marinate a couple different ways for 2 days. I'll try the bacon wrapping on a couple of them (I'm cooking for 15 people).

Tomorrow night my crab cakes and fried oysters. For Christmas breakfast will make biscuits and gravy. My son is doing rack of lamb for Christmas dinner. Boone, will check with son in-law about the deer.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.