• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

A rare treat...going out tonight. I can't drive, but it is my dear sweet momma's bday and she really likes this place...

http://www.bonefishgrill.com/

The old man drives and I pay for the meal. Oh, I will find something good to munch on...

:)

So how was it? Never been to Bonefish.

Thought I'd get the pics trend going with some of my recent dinners. Nothing really fancy, but I've been trying to come up with some simple football foods for every Sunday.

I posted above about fried pork chops. I made them recently and holy **** were they good!!!! I seriously was not expected them to be so juicy and flavorful, but they were amazing. I'm guessing the bacon grease/fat makes a big difference, so don't leave that step out :)

porckchops.jpg

Here is the mini spread from the Saints/Packers game. Wings, bacon cheddar potatoes, and cornbread.

wingsetc.jpg

I also made a bbq chicken pizza last Sunday. I have not yet ventured into making my own crust, but I think I need to do that.

pizzapw.jpg

And today for football I guess I was going for a Packers theme? Beer brats (boiled in Newcastle then grilled) and cheese dip (Velveeta and salsa). We used to have the cheese dip all the time when I was growing up. How we weren't all 300lbs I have no idea bc that stuff is good. And yea, we also had buns for the brats and chips for the dip.

brats.jpg

And it's not a dinner, but here are some sugar cookies I made for a housewarming party. Um, props to people who decorate cookies and cakes. It's a really tedious process! I cooked like a dozen+ more and gave up on decorating.

cookiesrj.jpg

Bonefish is excellent and quite affordable. Not sure if there is one in the Annapolis area. If so, get the boyfriend to take you there.

I had the Chilean Sea Bass and it was great. Everything on the menu seems like a winner and they have specials each day.

My Mommy cooked me some of her fried chicken and made some chicken gravy to boot! The gravy is so good you can just spread it over some bread like sausage gravy! :mmm:

Oh so healthy too. :laugh:

One other thing Ren - I may stop by for game day at some point.

:)

Jambalaya....from a 'Frugal Gourmet' cookbook I've had for 20 years :)

Ribs, ham chunks, link sausage, with canned tomato, garlic, celery, parsley, chopped yellow and green onion, green peppers, thyme, chicken stock, worcestershire sauce, tabasco, and probably a few things I'm forgetting. Pretty amazing stuff. If you want the actual recipe, lemme know and I'll take the trouble to post it.

Home made chicken pesto & spaghetti squash last night, eating it for lunch today. SOOOOO GOOD. I think I could eat nothing but pesto for the rest of my life and be happy.

EDIT: This was a basil pesto - the gf makes a mint pesto that's just amazing!

Home made chicken pesto & spaghetti squash last night, eating it for lunch today. SOOOOO GOOD. I think I could eat nothing but pesto for the rest of my life and be happy.

EDIT: This was a basil pesto - the gf makes a mint pesto that's just amazing!

I'm with ya on the pesto, Lanky. One of my favorite places to eat here in Raleigh-Cafe Carolina-does a girlled panini with pesto, portabellos, button mushrooms, havarti and boursin cheeses and tomatoes that is simply killer good.

Chicken breast. Steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Caesar salad. Green tea.

Homemade hot and sour soup (man - I wish I was still in Hawaii where it was easy to find key ingredients like tree fungus and tiger lily buds - tough to find in your typical American supermarket) and stir-fried Szechuan Chicken.

When the weather turns colder, it's time to break out the wok. And yeah, I know that makes no sense :)

Srapple sandwiches! Yum!!!

Dinner was linguine with clam sauce accompanied by half-a-dozen nice steamed clams in the shell served separately, toasted garlic-buttered ciabatta spread with basil pesto and a nice fried mozzarella ball.

All this was courtesy of a nice neighbor lady of mine who apparently got the idea in her head that because I'm an older guy living alone that I'm unable to feed myself.

Well, I just couldn't hurt her feelings y'know? :)

Made Karen D's Flying Chili last night. Subbed beef for bison bc bison is so pricey at my local Safeway, and let it simmer much longer than the recipe called for. I've made this several times (it's supposedly the recipe that Ted's Montana Grill uses for their bison chili) and it's always on point considering how quick and easy it is :)

Made lamb chops tonight, browned in butter then deglazed with Merlot. Added roasted potato salad and, well... yum.

Trying pics here, for you Ren. :)

IMAG0275.jpg

Browning the Chops

IMAG0276.jpg

Deglazing with Merlot

IMAG0277.jpg

Final Dinner

IMAG0278.jpg

Happy Wife!

Last edited:
Went out and caught 6 of the biggest Tautog I've ever seen this time of year. Tonight, we will feast on my own recipe of fish tacos. It's killer if anyone is interested in the recipe :D

Home alone today, wife working, son at an all day marching band competition, daughter at college. Kinda pathetic...huh?

So I'm going to cook anyway :)

Doing a couple of Peruvian chickens 'beer can chicken'-style on the grill. I also bought a bunch of veggies to grill (although whether I work up the energy to do that or not is still an unknown). Thinking I'll grill them all up, then top with a garlic/olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing.

Hey - it's just me - who's going to complain?

Going to Udipi Cafe in Houston tonight, aka the best Indian food I've ever had. The kicker: its vegetarian! So effing delicious though.

Chicken turned out delicious beyond words...

Attachments

• IMG00327-20111008-2057.jpg
    IMG00327-20111008-2057.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 90
That looks awesome Boone, you can't lose with chicken :)

I made some cod chowder. Great ****. I don't make it nearly as often as I should. I tried havarti cheese in it this time instead of smoked gouda, and it was insane how good it was. Still a bigger fan of the smoked gouda though.

Cod chowder? Damn - that sounds like perfect fall food. Do tell?

Cod chowder? Damn - that sounds like perfect fall food. Do tell?
I've tried it with dozens of different fish, but the best are Cod, Flounder, Tilapia and Triggerfish.

- Get a big pot and put in a few tablespoons of butter and a cut up large white onion into it and sautee on medium heat until onion starts to turn clear.

- Add 1 can of chicken stock and 1 cup of water and bring to boil over medium heat.

- Add 1 can of corn, 3 well chopped carrots, a chopped head of celery, and 3 cubed red potatoes and cook 10 minutes.

- In a bowl, whisk together 1/3 cup of cake flour and 1.5 cups of milk.

- Add another 1.5 cups of milk to the pot, along with 1 teaspoon of celery salt, 1 teaspoon of sea salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper to the pot, stir and cook an additional 10 minutes.

- Add 1 pound of fish (cut into small pieces) to the pot, stir in and cook 5 minutes.

- Add 2 cups of shredded cheese to the pot, stir in, and cook 5 minutes.

- Eat about 10 bowls, then make more and repeat :laugh:

There are only a handful of cheeses that work at all in this recipe, as I found out the hard way. The absolute best is smoked Gouda. After that, my choices in order would be extra sharp Cheddar, Gruyère, then Havarti. Any other cheese I tried either didn't work at all (the consistency got gritty) or it just sucked.

My personal favorite is using smoked Gouda for the cheese, and cod for the fish. Awesome stuff. I like to add a lot of pepper to mine, but I tone it down for the recipe when I give it to people, because not everyone thinks pepper is as wonderful as I do lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.