• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

My tri-tip was just okay. I deviated from my normal method using higher heat and did them over 2 hours on the smoker. They ended up with no real sear on the outside and overcooked on the inside. Still good. Romesco sauce had a lot of flavor, but I would much rather have had a chimichurri style sauce. Pumpkin seed flavor was pretty overpowering.

Mushing crackers or croutons into soup, yay or nay?

I love soup or chili with saltines. I have occasionally 'mushed', but prefer putting some of the soup on top of a saltine and going at it that way :) Croutons? Never tried that.

Doing a 10 lb brisket today. I separated the point and flat before cooking as I find it damn near impossible to do it once it's cooked, and they are definitely two totally different things. Rubbed them down with some yellow mustard and gave a good sprinkling of KC BBQ rub. Threw some whiskey barrel oak and pecan chips on the smoker and put the brisket on at 225 degrees. 4 hours later, I checked the temp and they were already above 170 - so pulled them off and foiled them along with a couple cups of 'Rick's Sinful Marinade'. I don't know who Rick is, but his marinade is pretty great. Worchestershire Sauce, beer, water, vinegar, cayenne, seasoned salt, celery seed, beef boullion base... Then put the foiled brisket back on the smoker. Will keep them there for another hour, then I'll towel the flat and put it in a cooler until dinner. The point I'm going to cube and do burnt ends with. Basically, point gets cubed, tossed with BBQ sauce, and thrown back in the smoker in a foil pain for 30-60 minutes. Will serve with cucumber-onion salad.

I love soup or chili with saltines. I have occasionally 'mushed', but prefer putting some of the soup on top of a saltine and going at it that way :) Croutons? Never tried that.

I was out of saltines once so tried croutons as a replacement. A wise choice

Hell the simplest thing I make with excellent flavor to boot is beef or chicken broth poured over crackers or croutons. Low carb/calorie meal and quick.

I was out of saltines once so tried croutons as a replacement. A wise choice

Hell the simplest thing I make with excellent flavor to boot is beef or chicken broth poured over crackers or croutons. Low carb/calorie meal and quick.

I am a big "cracker masher" in my soup! It is especially good with thicker soups like bean or potato! Potato soup may be my favorite...EVER!!!

I am a big "cracker masher" in my soup! It is especially good with thicker soups like bean or potato! Potato soup may be my favorite...EVER!!!

Right?!?!
Everyone in my family gives me the wtf look when I add crackers to soup. My method is crush them up then drown them bitches with soup/broth/rue. Chili as well

After years of Boone telling me how great Big Green Eggs are, I finally broke down and bought one. So far, the results are amazing. Wonderful pork shoulder, terrific grilling, but the coup de grace was yesterday's brisket. I've made brisket several times, always with a decent, but not special result. Last year I kind of gave up and moved it inside - smothering with onions and beer which was delicious.

Yesterday though. Man o man was that terrific. One of the best I've ever had. Kept the rub pretty simple and just wrapped it in foil with some leftover (still not sure how THAT happened) red wine. Small, 3 lb piece - so three hours later it was done; let is sit in the oven (turned off) wrapped in foil for an hour and then... wow it was terrific.

The temp control on the egg is just amazing. I made Mexican Pizza the other night and got the temp up over 700 and everyone loved it. Really enjoying it so far. Going to Alaska in a couple of weeks but when I get back, thinking about ribs next.

Glad you are liking it... sorry I couldn't connect with you to talk brisket - it was golf-a-palooza this weekend! I'm still going to send you some suggestions but sounds like it was a success. Ribs are really awesome on the Egg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Goaldeje - here's my current method for brisket (as promised). I wish I could get large brisket flats only, but typically I have to buy a full brisket. I prefer to separate the flat and point before smoking but that's just my preference as I think it's easier to do it before cooking. I slather both with plain old yellow mustard, usually the night before, and put a generous coating of whatever rub I'm using on them. I light my egg, get the coals going a bit, and obviously set up for indirect cooking. Traditionally brisket is done with oak smoke, but I have also used pecan and cherry or a mix of all 3. I find that the Egg runs hotter at grill level than the lid thermometer reads, so I shoot for a temp of right at 200 degrees. Once I get there I nearly shut down the vents and put my smoke wood and conveggtor (btw - BGE really needs to give the accessory naming thing a rest) on, and put the brisket in. I leave the brisket (I don't open the egg at all) until the temp of the brisket is in the 160 - 165 degree range. I pull it then and foil it using 2 layers of heavy duty foil with a cup or two or 'Ricks Sinful Marinade' which I'm enclosing the recipe for. I put the foiled brisket back on until internal temp is 190-195 (depending on how well done you like it - I tend to pull sooner rather than later because it will continue cooking while it rests). Using the foil is called the 'Texas Crutch'. You can wrap the whole thing in towels and put in a cooler and it'll stay hot for hours and hours. If you're ready, you can pull it out and slice it right away (against the grain of course). If you also have the point, I will pull it out at this point, cube it, coat the cubes in the BBQ sauce of my liking, put it in a foil pan, and put it back in the egg uncovered for an hour or two and those things will get completed carmelized with a little char. It's like eating meat candy.

On a side note, I just received my MEATER Block wireless temperature probes which are cool as hell. Each wireless probe sits in a charging stand which doubles as a WIFI repeater, and each of the 4 probes can measure grill temp from the exposed end, and meat temp from the embedded end.

Ricks Sinful Marinade
12 oz beer
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon beef base (bouillon)
2 Tablespoons BBQ sauce
1 Tablespoon seasoned salt
1-2 Tablespoons celery seed
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Accent

I can see Fall from here so I am a little comfort-foodish today. Going to make some homemade Bean with Bacon Soup and some Philly Cheese Steaks for dinner.

I can see Fall from here so I am a little comfort-foodish today. Going to make some homemade Bean with Bacon Soup and some Philly Cheese Steaks for dinner.
I had phillies last night. One of my all time favorites.

Making Ciappino (Italian fish stew) tonight. Basically fish stock with tomatoes, fennel, onion, shallots, and garlic with fish, shrimp, and some scallops. @Goaldeje - you'd dig this if you haven't tried it before...

Yeah, that's on my list of things to try for sure. I've been making Moquecca, a Brazillian fish stew with coconut milk, shrimp and cod that is amazing. There's a spicy garlic component that takes it up a level or three. Love me some fish stews.

Un-thawed a caribou roast last night and baked that sucka with potatoes, celery carrots in a thin beef roux. Wife made some home made bread with rice crispy treats for desert. Excellent meat if any of you ever get the chance to try it.

Un-thawed a caribou roast last night and baked that sucka with potatoes, celery carrots in a thin beef roux. Wife made some home made bread with rice crispy treats for desert. Excellent meat if any of you ever get the chance to try it.

If it was good meat, I'm assuming it wasn't a bull. I heard they can be a lot more gamey.

If it was good meat, I'm assuming it wasn't a bull. I heard they can be a lot more gamey.

The one I got was a yearling male, he just had nubbins for horns. I'm not proud but I needed a caribou, there I said it.

It was perfectly tender and delicious. Imagine a beefier tasting venison with no aftertaste, a larger one would no doubt be tougher and less appealing. Many up here get them made into brats because the local butchers will mix anything you request in with it. Jalapeno and cheese caribou brats are a popular selection.

Same goes with halibut, a 200lb fish would give you dominant bragging rights but the older ones are tougher and full of sea lice. Far less appealing to eat

Edit: Have no idea how to straighten it up, I need an adult
caribou 1.jpeg

Here's a quick example of what the local butchers will do. Most will add whatever you bring in when requested. Can personalize the hell out of it if wished, it's pretty nice

https://www.alaskasausage.com/Custom-Game-Processing.aspx

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.