• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

Btw - super hot pepper seeds are very hard to germinate. 1000x easier buying plants online if you want to grow them.

I'm a Ribeye kind of guy, but they had NY strips on sale, so grilled some up. Not bad, but not Ribeye.

Thanks, wont' do the Carolina Reaper. May be a little rough on my wife's acid reflux.

I read there is a restaurant in Durham, NC that for exotic meat week has a "tarantula burger" on the menu. The tarantula is oven roasted and placed on top of the burger. You have to win a contest to get one, which runs $30.

Personally, no way in hell.

Last edited:
Put a 5 1/2# chuck roast in the slow cooker this morning. Hard to beat a good pot roast and it was fan-freaking-tastic, if I do say so. :)

@Chris - finally trying your Koji rice hack. Got some skirt steak and a few other lower grade cuts and ground up the rice in a blender. Steaks are coated with it and I'll keep them on the fridge until Tuesday then grill them up. Excited to see how they turn out.

4acf386bb0d652ed620c00c65021ad84.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris - finally trying your Koji rice hack. Got some skirt steak and a few other lower grade cuts and ground up the rice in a blender. Steaks are coated with it and I'll keep them on the fridge until Tuesday then grill them up. Excited to see how they turn out

Nice! As Ryman said be sure to rinse the rub off before cooking.

Thanks guys - looking forward to assessing the final result. I think I'm too much of a traditionalist to go the sous vide route though :)

So - first attempt with the Koji rice and I'm returning a verdict I never expected...

I wasn't impressed.

I guess I was expecting something dramatic. I was able to taste the 'nutty' flavor that the rice imparted on the steaks, but honestly, didn't feel that flavor added anything to the overall experience. I'll admit that I've never had a real dry-aged steak, so from that perspective, I don't really have a point of reference/comparison. Maybe the Koji rice taste is exactly like a steak aged for 45 days. I just wasn't impressed. l expected the steak to be super tender, especially since the Koji rice rub sounds like it's intended to turn lower grade cut of beef into much better quality cuts. I had no issue in general with the steaks (including some skirt steak I included), I just wasn't blown away on any level and didn't notice any significant increase in the quality of tenderness or flavor.

I only used the Koji rub for 2 days - maybe I should've pushed it to 3-4, dunno. I'm open to changing my mind. I typically marinate steaks. Maybe I need to prep with the Koji and then marinate and judge that way?

I like Italian quite a bit. Maybe it's the binge re-watching of 'The Sopranos' currently underway, but began my search for the best 'gravy' recipe of all-time today. I've made my own pasta sauce for years, but trying some new approaches. I don't own a pasta machine (yet) but also trying my hand at making some fresh pasta made at home. Making the pasta itself was a breeze. Basically, you're talking about kneading flour, eggs, and a little salt together for 10 minutes. We'll see how the actual rolling rolling of pasta and slicing of the noodles goes...

If it turns our great, ahhh Madonn... could open up whole new epicurean avenues. Tony, buon'anima - he'd be proud!

My daughter is home this week and loves food/cooking like her old man. She asked me to cook for her a couple nights ago, and when I asked her what she'd like, she said 'a meat pie'. Never made anything like that ever. But I accepted the challenge.

For the filling, I sauteed garlic, onion, slivered carrrot, some roma tomato, and diced potato. Set that aside and browned some cubed beef, cubed pork chop, and pork sausage. Added the veggies back, then added a can of tomato paste, a little chicken stock, and some crushed allspice, cloves, peppercorn, cinnamon, and salt and pepper. I cooked it down for about 30 minutes and let it cool some. Made some simple pie crusts, added the filling, and covered with more pie crust. Baked for 40 minutes. It was really quite good. Also did some twice baked potatoes. She was happy.

So - first attempt with the Koji rice and I'm returning a verdict I never expected...

I wasn't impressed.

Sorry about that.

The handfull of times ive used it (skirt exclusively) it's gone more than two days. Mostly because something comes up and I don't get to it. I also sear it in a cast iron skillet so perhaps that makes the difference for me.

Do you cure it uncovered in the fridge?

I did have some Saran wrap on it. I will definitely try it again. Other thing - I'm a big marinade guy but grilled these steaks with just some salt and pepper as I wanted to see how they'd come out without any added flavors. I found the 'nutty' flavor they had a little too intense. But maybe if I prepped them with the rice and then prepared them with a marinade I would have had a better experience. I will also try doing more than 2 days and leaving them exposed in the fridge.

I think open curing is a must. The process needs the air.

Plain and simple.

Marinated venison backstrap, grilled to medium perfection. Steamed broccoli. Cold beer.

Plain and simple.

Marinated venison backstrap, grilled to medium perfection. Steamed broccoli. Cold beer.

I wish venison were readily available like other meats. You can find it online, but it's a pain in the ass. Other option is to start deer hunting here in NC. I'd love to do that but really don't know how to get started. I think I'd have to befriend some rednecks :)

I wish venison were readily available like other meats. You can find it online, but it's a pain in the ass. Other option is to start deer hunting here in NC. I'd love to do that but really don't know how to get started. I think I'd have to befriend some rednecks :)

Is Wegman's in your area? They sell venison? Expensive, but they sell it. At least around here.

As for deer hunting, if you haven't ever done it, it may be a little late to get started. Though I would not discourage you. If you know someone that you trust, willing to help you out, I say go for it. Otherwise, you might get to know a couple rednecks who would be interested in trading a little Bambi for some fresh honey. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.