• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Release: REDSKINS SIGN JOSH BIDWELL

Pappas

PRESS RELEASE
For Immediate Release
March 23, 2010

REDSKINS SIGN JOSH BIDWELL

LOUDOUN COUNTY, VA – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent punter Josh Bidwell. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Bidwell (6-3, 220) will enter his 11th NFL season and has spent the past six seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2004-09). Prior to joining the Buccaneers, he spent his first five NFL seasons with the Green Bay Packers (1999-2003).

For his career, Bidwell has 727 punts for 31,085 yards (42.8 avg.) with a long of 68 yards and 209 punts placed inside the 20-yard line in 144 games. He earned Pro Bowl honors in 2005 after he averaged 45.6 yards per punt with a 37.5 net average for the Buccaneers.

Bidwell, 34, owns a Buccaneers club record in gross punting average (44.0 avg.), punting attempts (419) and punts inside the 20-yard line (124). In addition, he holds the top four single-season gross punting averages in Buccaneers history (2005-08) and owns three of the top five single-season net punting averages in club history (2005, 2007-08).

Bidwell missed the 2009 season after he sustained a hip injury and was placed on Injured Reserve on Aug. 17, 2009. He was released by Tampa Bay on March 4, 2010.

As a member of the Packers, Bidwell totaled 308 punts for 12,659 yards with a 41.1 avg. He originally entered the NFL as a fourth-round (133rd overall) selection of the Green Bay Packers in the 1999 NFL Draft. He missed his rookie season (1999) after being placed on the Reserve/Non-Football Illness list.

Bidwell was a four-year letterman (1995-98) at the University of Oregon, where he was a first-team All-Pac-10 selection and earned second-team Associated Press All-America honors as a senior. His punting average of 40.8 is the third-best in school history. Bidwell graduated from Oregon with a bachelor of arts degree in English.

Born March 13, 1976, Bidwell is a native of Winston, Ore.

So Allen signed one of his former TB players. How does he compare to Hunter Smith? I liked Hunter; he seemed to do a good job when he was healthy. Staying healthy being the caveat. But I see Bidwell was out last year with a hip injury, so he doesn't seem any better in that regard.

Just as long as he's a reliable, decent punter, it'll be fine with me. I'm not expecting Ray Guy.

Nothing wrong with a little competition. Hopefully Smith will get good and stretched out and win the job

I would prefer Hunter. He did a great job holding and there's always the element of surprise with him which helps prevent blocked punts and FG's.

Just posted this in the stickied thread, but ... without looking it up, can anyone name the last punter to hold the Redskins job for at least 2 full continuous seasons?

Just posted this in the stickied thread, but ... without looking it up, can anyone name the last punter to hold the Redskins job for at least 2 full continuous seasons?

Jeff Hayes?

Truth is, I don't know. :cool:

Revolving_Door.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, I originally thought Roby, and then thought, nah, it could not have been that long ago. I honestly forgot all about Frost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.