• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Per Skins Blogger- Skins sign Rex Grossman

Omniscient, this is odd, but I didn't enjoy the Ethan Albright one very much-maybe because the language seemed out-of-character, I can seriously picture Grossman having a stream-of-consciousness conversation with himself that would sound just like what was written. :bucktooth:

Personal tastes are funny things.

I'm in the same boat. I can just mentally hear Grossman thinking he's that good. Maybe it's a QB thing. The Albright piece wasn't bad though.

I'm not uptight about swearing, it has it's place. Maybe it's just because I am getting old..who knows. :)

Anyways, I thought the Albright one was funny because I used to be a big madden player. So maybe in that since, I can relate. I believe it came out a few years back, when I really enjoyed video games.

I don't think this is a bad move at all. Grossman has talent. As Mark said, where he's struggled is in the mental game. Of course, that's a fairly important component of QB play :) But with the right coach, he has a lot of potential upside. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that having glimpsed NFL obscurity in his future, he's capable of learning and reigning in his self-destructive tendencies on the field.

I've seen Rex Grossman look like a world beater, and I've seen him look like the end of the world. I don't know what the master plan is at QB, nor does anyone else, but this move doesn't scare me.

Relax, brothers. Context.

- It’s a one year deal for chicken feed. Rex is probably 50-50 to make the team much less ever take a meaningful snap.

- The team let Todd Collins, the incumbent backup and only QB on the roster besides the tendered Campbell who’s ever taken an NFL regular season snap, go.

- if you look at the list of UFA options the Redskins had to replace him, and consider factors like familiarity with the new offense, cost, age, etc. ...

Charlie Batch / Pittsburgh / UFA
Kyle Boller / St. Louis / UFA
Mark Brunell / New Orleans / UFA
David Carr / N.Y. Giants / UFA
Daunte Culpepper / Detroit / UFA
A.J. Feeley / Carolina / UFA
Rex Grossman / Houston / UFA
Josh McCown / Carolina / UFA
Chad Pennington / Miami / UFA
Patrick Ramsey / Detroit / UFA
Chris Redman / Atlanta / UFA
Brian St. Pierre / Arizona / UFA

Just sayin'. :)

That my friend is a fairly disconcerting list. That's kinda like asking me which arm I want broken. My answer is gonna be neither. LOL

I'd have taken Culpepper, Batch or Pennington over Grossman. He's pretty terrible. He's not young and full of potential. He's going to be 30 this year and his career passer rating is 69.5 (are you kidding me?)

Rather than a middle-aged QB who sucks, I'd rather have a young guy who might someday be our future or an old guy who won't screw things up if he needs to play a few games.

Another head-scratcher of a move if you ask me.

Henry,

If those are the criteria, the young guy option isn't there at all. As to the old guy option, are you sure you'd take any of the three you mentioned?

Culpeper is 33, a horrible WCO fit physically, can't stay healthy and wouldn't have Randy Moss here to chuck it up for grabs to.

Batch is 35, hasn't started more than 2 games in a season since 2000 and last played meaningful snaps in 2007, getting into 7 games with PITT and racking up a sparkling 52.1 rating of his own.

Pennington I might consider a good option, but is 33 (zooks!), one stiff wind from another season-ending injury, and needs a running start to throw the ball more than 15 yards (been there, done that, don't relish a sequel).

None of the three have a year with Kyle Shanahan under their belts. And I wager we'd not get any of the three to come here for one year and the $12.95 I think the Redskins are paying Grossman. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm far from a Rex Grossman fan. If I thought Shanny had ANY ideas about starting him, or they'd signed him for 3 years and significant money, and Rex wasn't fresh off a year with K. Shanahan, I'd be wondering what we were thinking too.

As it is, I'm inclined to take MS at his word and assume they've just gone through every single available option, checked off pros and cons, and decided Rex was the best available potential backup QB option at the time.

I didn't say they were great QBs. I'd just take them over Grossman.

It doesn't matter if he knows the system if he's terrible in it.

I swear I'm not TRYING to find the negative angle of every move the Redskins make. I legitimately don't like them. The only way any of these moves make sense is if you go with your 'I give the coach the benefit of the doubt' argument.

That's fine. I will always hope that since the coach and the GM know more than I do that they'll make the right move even if I think it's wrong. But until we find a coach and a GM that never make a mistake, I'm still going to wonder what the hell they are thinking sometimes.

Grossman's stats are terrible. He's not. He's been quite good at times, godawful look away bad lots of the time. He's erratic as hell. When he's 'on' he can be pretty effective. Can Shanahan get him to make consistently good decisions? Dunno. But the key fact is that he's not being brought in to be 'the answer'. He's more than likely training camp fodder. If he starts looking like he's spent the last year learning something though, it could be a different story. Stranger things have happened.

The other thing I'll say is that I think the Redskins know exactly what they're going to do in the draft (to the extent that's possible). So some of the moves may make more sense once we see how that plan is executed. I think we're picking a QB at #4 and, although I could be dead wrong, I don't think Jason will be a Redskin next year. So a guy like Grossman could be a stopgap or at least a potential one while we get a rookie indoctrinated.

Grossman's stats are terrible. He's not. He's been quite good at times, godawful look away bad lots of the time. He's erratic as hell. When he's 'on' he can be pretty effective. Can Shanahan get him to make consistently good decisions? Dunno. But the key fact is that he's not being brought in to be 'the answer'. He's more than likely training camp fodder. If he starts looking like he's spent the last year learning something though, it could be a different story. Stranger things have happened.

The other thing I'll say is that I think the Redskins know exactly what they're going to do in the draft (to the extent that's possible). So some of the moves may make more sense once we see how that plan is executed. I think we're picking a QB at #4 and, although I could be dead wrong, I don't think Jason will be a Redskin next year. So a guy like Grossman could be a stopgap or at least a potential one while we get a rookie indoctrinated.

Are you serious? "His stats are terrible, but he's not"? "He's erratic as hell, but when he's on he can be pretty effective"?

I'm sorry , but if I'm going to employ someone to be an integral part of my organization, that is NOT a description of someone I'm going to hire.

Until Mr. Grossman proves me wrong, I am not and can not be a believer.

Then again, I did buy oceanfront in Arizona. Anyone want a couple of acres? LOL

I addressed 3 things Shanahan may be thinking that makes the move make more sense:

- he's cheap, experienced, and at worst is a body at QB (ie..training camp fodder)
- he may be a salvage project (Shanahan may think he has the physical tools - he does and that he can fix the mental game)
- he'll compete for a backup.

And the distinction I'm trying to make is between a QB who lacks the physical talent to be really successful in the NFL (that applies to a lot of career backups) and QBs who make poor decisions (which, in theory, can be worked on).

Also, keep in mind everyone thought we were crazy bringing in 87 year-old Todd Collins, but he was a warm body who knew the system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.