• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Insider: Redskins players arrive as Mike Shanahan's offseason program begins

BGO

Today marks a beginning of sorts. This is the first day of the Redskins' offseason conditioning program, and it's the first time coach Mike Shanahan will be able to meet and see many of his players in-person. Some players have been rehabilitating in the area, make this their offseason home or have been lifting at Redskins Park, so Shanahan has met a few. But he's made clear how much he's been looking forward to today. He's also made clear that though the workouts are technically voluntary, he expects everyone to be present. Matt Terl, the team's official blogger, tweeted that he has already seen Clinton Portis, Albert Haynesworth and Laron Landry this morning.

More...

Landry is there? Seriously? Bigger accomplishment by far than getting Portis to show up. I'm impressed.

Meh. I am so hoping we can move Landry for a late first or early second. I'm open to being proven wrong but at this point I'm calling "bust" on him.

If he stays, hopefully we get a serviceable FS from somewhere and Haslett does a better job than previous coaches of letting him do the things he does best.

Meh. I am so hoping we can move Landry for a late first or early second. I'm open to being proven wrong but at this point I'm calling "bust" on him.

If he stays, hopefully we get a serviceable FS from somewhere and Haslett does a better job than previous coaches of letting him do the things he does best.

Agreed. He has lots of potential. You can see he's fast, hits hard (most of the time).

But just never seems to be around the ball. The previous defensive system utilized him badly, I think (and hope).

He was used basically as the last safety net. So far back, in an attempt to dissuade offenses from throwing the deep ball, that he was ineffective.

I don't think Landry has ever recovered from the loss of Sean Taylor. His growth as a player seems to have come to a complete stop. I can only hope that with the rebirth of the organization, so will come the rebirth of Laron.

I don't think Landry has ever recovered from the loss of Sean Taylor. His growth as a player seems to have come to a complete stop. I can only hope that with the rebirth of the organization, so will come the rebirth of Laron.

I've always kinda thought the same thing. He could have reacted three different ways, step up and become "the man", plod along or regress. I think we all know what he did.

We have a couple of strong safeties if Horton recovers but none with Laundry's physical gifts. :cheers: Here's to hoping the new regime will "get him" because the old one obviously didn't.

I was actually hoping Landry would not show up, so maybe they would look at trading him. I think he has all the physical abilities, but his head is not there.

I really hope Haslett can reel him in and make him a solid tackler, instead of the wiff and miss we see so often now. If he can learn to tackle and not bite on the double moves, the skies the limit. That is a big 'if' though and a lot of work ahead for the coaching staff.

Also, I am not surprised that Albert and Portis showed up. Portis knows his duties with Shanny here.

I keep hearing all kinds of negativity regarding Albert and the scheme. When I listened to Haslett's interview, he was excited about Haynesworth. He also said that they have been talking regularly about his use this year and that they are both excited to get to work. He basically said that Haynesworth is going to be dangerous in this system. So, I do not know why the media keeps running with the Haynesworth/system stories.

i dont know if he can do that or if he even thinks there is a problem.

According to interview he had this past season, he is one of the 'smart tacklers' in the NFL.

bradshaw-mills-giantsjpg-19f0202efdb505ae_large.jpg

that picture is perfect to describe landry's style. off his feet and completely whiffing.

I have another from the Philly game that looks similar and another from the Cowgirls game.

Last edited:
drama sells...simple as that.

i think if landry is going to get back in to football he has to learn to tackle again. he has to learn NOT to leave his feet and to take better angles when he runs after someone. too many times defenders bounced off his missle like tackle or ran around him because he was coming at them wrong.

i dont know if he can do that or if he even thinks there is a problem.

Drama sells...good one, Mike..it sure does(!)

I think your comment dovetails with the comments about how Sean Taylor's death may have affected Landry mentally. I think he may have taken a perspective of himself as the fill-in for Sean-including mimicking Sean's technique-which, in spite of the obvious physical talents he does have, he can't equal. If Haslett and safeties coach Jackson can get him out of this mode and help him re-learn the feet-on-the-ground tackling techniques that he does have the skillset for, then I'd be perfectly o.k. with keeping him around as FS. I'll just have to see what the coaching staff can accomplish between now and September-but for now I'm open to him staying.

Kick some ass, Seabass!

Seriously, I like hearing about this. In a week, I want Ashburn back on info lockdown with the exception of press releases for any roster moves.

I don't want to hear from the coaches unless there is a minicamp or right at the draft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.