• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

reading the tea leaves-dt at 4

brandies

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Reading the top pick tea leaves … Hard to know if it means anything, but G.M. Martin Mayhew of Detroit, which holds the second overall pick at the 2010 draft, was in Stillwater on Wednesday to scout Oklahoma State OT Russell Okung, but didn’t travel up the road to check out Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh’s workout yesterday. With St. Louis apparently focused in on Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford with the #1 pick this year, the consensus around the league was that the Lions were pretty much a lock to take Suh with the #2 pick, however, there are now some whispers that they could ultimately opt to take LT Okung, especially in the wake of the fact that Detroit acquired DT Corey Williams from Cleveland earlier this month. Its worth noting though that Mayhew did attend the Oklahoma pro day earlier this week where Gerald McCoy, another highly rated DT, was performing.

http://www.gbnreport.com/index.htm
CLICK LINK FOR GB IN TOTAL

NOTE:
Might speak good for a good trade down scenerio or building a dominating defense. I am not opposed to dt at 4 and OL later if it means a great value at that pick. Like the Giants during the 80's who had more dominant linebackers than could be dealt with, we could cause some real mismatch problems.

I think its just doing their homework. Suh worked at the combine, right? They might even have a private workout with him soon.

Update: http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&rwr=1
Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh chose to stand on his Combine results at his school's pro day workout Thursday.

Suh weighed in three pounds lighter at 304 pounds, and NFL.com's Gil Brandt said he looked "very good" in position drills. Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo and GM Billy Devaney were on hand for the workout, as was Lions GM Martin Mayhew.

Another relevant update: :)

http://www.gbnreport.com/index.htm

March 12

(9:00 AM): We stand corrected on the tea leaves thing … Thanks to a number of readers including Trader Duke for the tip, but it turns out that Detroit in fcat had a full contingent at the Nebraska workout including G.M. Martin Mayhew and head coach Jim Schwartz to check out Huskers’ DT Ndamukog Suh, arguably the top prospect in the 2010 draft. It has alkso been reported that the Lions will have Suh in for a visit with team officials in april when teams are allowed to bring up to 30 players to their complexes for final pre-draft visits. Early reports of who was in Lincoln for the Huskers’ pro day did not include the Lions’ brass; that and the fact that Mayhew spent a lot of time with Oklahoma State OT Russell Okung at the Cowboys' pro day earlier in the week set off some speculation that the Lions, who have the #2 pick this year, were leaning toward taking LT Okung, especially in the wake of the fact that Detroit acquired DT Corey Williams from Cleveland earlier this month. Its worth noting though that Mayhew did attend the Oklahoma pro day earlier this week where Gerald McCoy, another highly rated DT, was performing. Meanwhile, as pointed out by reader James P., the Lions have signed former army safety Caleb Campbell whom the Lions drafted in the 7th round in 2008, but was forced to fill his military commitments prior to being allowed to play pro football.
For the record, if the Redskins draft a DT at #4, I will write the following 500 times and post it on Om Field:

"Every time I think I've learned anything about the NFL, I am reminded I know nothing."

From everything I hear, it sounds like Suh is the kind of talent you just don't pass on. Trouble is, we signed Haynesworth for a gazillion-bajillion dollars last season already.

If draft goes Bradford then Okung, then that will leave either Suh or McCoy at #4. Then I think we will get some serious trade offers. Should be an interesting draft. Just glad we have a professional FO to direct this one.

I agree on the trade offers if one of the DTs is there at #4. I think there are teams out there who maybe willing to pay the price to move up to 4 who would not have paid what it took to move up to 1 or 2.

Suh
Kemoeatu
Haynesworth
Carter
Fletcher
McIntosh
Orakpo

Sure, our offense would likely suck, but that might be the best front 7 the league has ever seen!

Suh
Kemoeatu
Haynesworth
Carter
Fletcher
McIntosh
Orakpo

Sure, our offense would likely suck, but that might be the best front 7 the league has ever seen!

The Ravens WON a Super Bowl with Defense and Trent Dilfer throwing to Shannon Sharpe. It CAN be done but I'd prefer to be able to score points.

The Ravens WON a Super Bowl with Defense and Trent Dilfer throwing to Shannon Sharpe. It CAN be done but I'd prefer to be able to score points.

That Ravens defense was one of the best all time, with our corners/safeties biting on double moves like they did last year, the Skins aren't even close to that. That Ravens team also had the greatest and most underrated Raven ever in Matt Stover to kick clutch FGs.......I hope Graham Gano can be that good but we don't know.

I hope that if one of the DTs fall to us and Okung is gone, I hope we can make a nice trade and pick up a bunch of picks and try to rebuild this team. Or focus on the offense with either Bulaga or Clausen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.