• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Om Field: The Jimmy Clausen Files

Worth the read, I think.

I've highlighted some passages pertinent to this discussion.

http://walterfootball.com/mattblog091229.php

Junior Quarterbacks - Jimmy Clausen

I bet you never thought in the past month that Notre Dame junior quarterback Jimmy Clausen is one of the most underappreciated quarterback prospects in the history of the NFL Draft. But after reading this blog entry, you just might change your mind.

First, I am going to tell you why you might not like Clausen, and let's be real here, there is a lot of bias against him. Some criticism is warranted, but a lot isn't.

Notre Dame is the most hated football program in America, period. They are the Duke of the gridiron. Automatically, you hate Clausen because he went to Notre Dame, just like you hated J.J. Reddick because he went to Duke. If you want to make an analysis as objective and professional as possible, then you need to cut the crap and get over the Notre Dame hate if you have it - and a lot of that is out there. Think about it: if you put Sanchez on Notre Dame and Jimmy Clausen at USC, then Sanchez is the hated prospect and Clausen is the beloved underclassman.

Maybe you don't like Clausen because of the blond, spiky hair, or the limo appearance he had when he was a senior in high school to declare for Notre Dame. These aren't "low profile" characteristics and automatically, you might have disliked him.

For whatever reasons you're down on Clausen, please put them in the back seat and have an open mind when reading this blog entry.

Clausen just amassed one of the most impressive junior seasons among pro-style quarterbacks in the past 10-20 years.

Let's remember that Clausen had a very bad offensive line this year for Notre Dame. Sure, he had good weapons, but the running game was poor and receivers Michael Floyd and Kyle Rudolph missed significant action (eight games missed total between them).

When Floyd went out, Clausen stepped up. With a bum turf toe, he didn't play at all in the second half and led the team to a game-winning drive to beat Purdue. The following week, he posted 422 passing yards against Washington. Over the next three games (USC, Boston College, Washinton State), Clausen threw for 774 yards, six touchdowns and zero interceptions.

Clausen is a huge reason for Golden Tate's big season as well. While Tate is a talented player, he couldn't have done it without Clausen's extremely high level of accuracy.

Numerous times, Clausen played through pain this season. He led his team in games in crunch time, and was without a doubt the most clutch quarterback in the nation this year.

Criticizing Clausen because he had talent around him is a very poor argument. It isn't like Clausen was putting up just above average statistics - he dominated opponents. He showed a very high football IQ and rarely forced the ball in coverage. Did he throw some balls up for grabs? Sure, but Peyton Manning does the same thing occasionally to Reggie Wayne. Drew Brees lofts the ball up for Marques Colston in the red zone. Philip Rivers relies on Vincent Jackson. Quarterbacks can't do it all by themselves.

One statistic that can't be discussed enough is Clausen's 7:1 touchdown-intercpetion ratio, which is absolutely unheard of among junior quarterbacks in pro-style offenses.
This is just ridiculous. It doesn't happen and it isn't supposed to happen. Give the man some credit where credit is due.

The bottom line is Clausen certainly needs to be looked at as one of, if not the most polished junior quarterback prospect in the history of the NFL Draft. I didn't say the BEST junior quarterback prospects because he doesn't have the physical skill, but he is certainly one of the most NFL-ready.

Analyze the statistics of a select group of quarterbacks in the spreadsheet below; all of these stats were taken from each quarterback's junior season. Aside from Matthew Stafford (I'm including him because I had him No. 1 overall on my big board), these highly thought-of quarterbacks that have gone on to outstanding success in the NFL.

Clausen simply blows everyone out of the water. His touchdown-interception ratio puts Peyton Manning's 1996 season to shame. His completion percentage is a good five points ahead of Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger. Clausen threw six less interceptions than EVERYONE.

Clausen's ranks across the board: 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st.

I just don't understand how someone like Todd McShay can say Clausen is a second-round talent when you consider how his statistics compare to some of the NFL's current greats.

I'm not a fan of just analyzing statistics, and my evaluation of Clausen really doesn't have very much to do with them. All I am doing is putting his season into perspective.

The perspective proves that Clausen is worthy of much more respect than I feel like he is getting at the moment. We will probably never see a better junior season ever again. Charlie Weis leaving the college game means that there is one less West Coast offense in the NCAA.

Over the next 10 years, I fear that nearly all snaps are going to be taken out of shotgun and NFL front offices are going to be throwing darts and evaluating prospects based on physical tools only since the schemes are so easy to execute.

Clausen isn't executing an easy scheme - he is executing the toughest scheme on the national stage. Every week the camera is on him, and every week he delivered. If Notre Dame's defense was just above average, this team would have won 10 games.

If you don't like Clausen because he is cocky, then that is fine. I just hope you are consistent and also say Rivers is a bad NFL quarterback because he is cocky - because a slightly confident leader can't win games in the NFL, right?

Maybe if Philip Rivers went to Notre Dame...

juniorqbs.jpg

Good stats and info OM.

BTW here's another very nice take (positive) on him from NFL draft countdown
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/QB/Jimmy-Clausen.php
They have him 11th overall and the #1 QB on the board

I'm not a fan of Clausen and I just get a bad vibe with him.....no statistics to back that up just one of those gut feelings.

The thing about the attitude/leadership issues that I have read is that Clausen is very confident in himself and what he can do. Sometimes to others it comes off as arrogant and may or may not rub people in the wrong way.

I hope that if the Redskins take him, they trade Campbell and let Clausen take the reigns of this team from day 1. Clausen is the only QB in this draft that could be a week 1 starter b/c of him playing in a pro system and if the Skins take him, just let Jason go and stop another QB controversy.

Also, I hope that if the Skins take him, they take him b/c he's the best player on their board and not b/c the "franchise QB" trumps all argument that I'm hearing from draftniks but don't fully agree with. If he's neck and neck in their opinion with a guy like OKung and they feel like they can win now and the next 10 years with him......great. If they're desperate and take him, that will concern me.

I know Vinny would have taken him without a second thought and that also concerns me.......

Either way, I prepping myself for the Skins to take him at #4 so I don't have a meltdown on draft day. And I hope if the Skins take him, he proves me wrong. I'll be glad to eat plenty of crow if the guy becomes the next Theisman (or better).

That's some GOOD stuff from walterfootball, Om. I've tried REALLY hard to leave my Notre Dame bias out of any Clausen threads (I'm a big Irish fan, have been since the days to Joey T) but I watched many many Notre Dame games since Clausen arrived on the scene.

I saw a guy who improved every year. He was under attack his freshman year, much WORSE that Patrick Ramsey under Spurrier, IMO. He continued to bounce back BECAUSE of that brashness or what some would call cockiness. He believed in his ability to lead the team. Now we ALL know a good offense is absolutely NOTHING with a decent defense. Notre Dame did NOT have a decent defense. Actually, it was downright pathetic. Clausen played the role of Dan Fouts on those old Air Coryell teams when he was the focal point of a team that was in a shootout each and every week. Sometimes you can outscore the other team and sometimes you can't.

I have stated before Clausen is clearly the most NFL ready QB in the draft. Others say Bradford has a higher ceiling. I can't say that with any certainty because Bradford, like many other QB's, plays mostly out of the shotgun. Can he adjust to also taking snaps under center and how long would it take him to adjust? I also know that Clausen continued to get better every year under Charlie Weis. Why could he NOT do that in the NFL? Bradford won the Heisman but we ALL know the Heisman goes to the guy who plays great and IS ON A GREAT TEAM.

At this point in time, Clausen is simply the better QB and I would have no problem with him being the choice at #4. Sure, I want OL and have stated so time and again but I also know new Head Coaches prefer their own QB's. If Shanahan decides a new JC is his guy then I'm totally on board with it.

Jimbo:

Being an Irish fan maybe you can sell me more on Clausen, I need more game opinions of him.
How well did he play in the clutch in the games you saw?
Did he look like a field general like you see with other NFL QBs and even the younger guys like Sanchez?
Did he make a lot of key mistakes (INTs, fumbles) at the worst possible times?

I know there was a lot of hype for Clausen coming out of HS, did he live up to the ND fan expectations?
Was NDs D that bad that cost them a great deal of games?

Seriously, I think it will be probably down to Okung or Clausen at #4 and I just want to get on board if the the Skins go QB.

Thanks,
WD

At this point in time, Clausen is simply the better QB and I would have no problem with him being the choice at #4.
I think that seems to be the consensus. Clausen, today, is the most NFL-ready out of all the QBs in this draft. The million dollar question is which QB is the most NFL ready in 2012 and beyond?

My biggest concern with Clausen would be that his confidence would lead to complacence. Despite being the best QB in the league, Peyton Manning (by the accounts of everyone close to him) spends more time in the film room than the coaches. Brady has also been rumored to have insane off seasons. Brees has run his own private practices with his receivers ... blindfolded.

My question to you, Jimbo, being the Notre Dame fan, what's his work ethic like? He a guy that shows up to practice first? Film room junkie? Workout warrior?

The fact that he's improved every year in a pro system is encouraging though, as well as the fact that he's proven to be successful despite having a crappy offensive line, terrible defensive support, playing through pain, and carrying the burden of having to play under incredibly intense scrutiny and expectation.

I'm a Penn State fan, so that first paragraph of the Walter article pertained to me. I hate the Irish. Passionately. And I was not originally high on Clausen a few weeks ago, either. But the more I look at him, and the deeper I analyze what he brings, I see a QB who simply can't be fazed by any form of adversity. And that, my friends, excites the hell out of me.

Clausen does a good bit of studying, as much as you really can do as a college player, but he's not what you would call a workout warrior but he's not a prima-donna either. He's very much a field general and does a great job of managing the clock. He's been accused of trying to do too much but the same thing was said of Peyton Manning at Tennessee.

I won't try to compare Clausen to Manning as a college player because their systems were different and I didn't see as much of Manning. Statistically, they were similar and I know both had enough arrogance to take charge but that's about it.

I like Clausen's deep touch and the fact that he developed a real feel for his receivers over the course of the season. I also liked that Clausen played well against the teams he was "supposed" to play well against. To me, that shows that he was prepared, both mentally and physically. He fought through a toe injury that kept him out of a good part of the Purdue game, yet he fought through the pain and led the Irish to victory.

Granted, Charlie Weis did a great job with that offense and put it in a position to succeed but when Clausen wasn't at the helm, YOU NOTICED THE DIFFERENCE. I'm saying with the utmost confidence that Clausen could come in and, THIS SEASON, play every bit as well, if not better, than Sanchez did this past season.

From everything I've been told by friends who are Irish alums, Jimmy is listening to the advice of NFL people in the know who have already advised him to mimic the Manning Brothers in the way they handle themselves publicly, on the field and in the film room and locker room. If he heeds that advice, I'm certain he has a bright NFL future ahead of him.

First of all OM, Great piece of work. Outstanding job.

I would have to say that after absorbing your work on Clausen, that I am no longer a nay sayer. It puts him in a different light in my mind...

I second this. A thoroughly detailed assortment of stats, projections, vids, etc. etc. Om, you clearly did your due diligence on this kid. Thank you. It answered a lot of questions I had about him, and positively at that. I will not be outraged if our brass decides to use the 4th on him; indeed I now believe our best bet QB-wise is Clausen over Bradford no matter who is available at #4.

It's looking more and more like we're going with a signal-caller for our first, rather than a stud LT. Considering that Shanny has always had a knack for building O-lines to a large extent out of spit and glue, I think that's the wise choice. Especially after what I've read and heard about the ND pickle. :punk:

If this happens, I hope somebody like Brown or Saffold will be there at #37.

I agree or worse case scenario at least a Jared Veldheer.

Just to echo the sentiment - thanks so much for all the hard work in pulling this together Om! I'm a really bad draft junky so I had seen about 95% of this already, but it's awesome to have it all in one convenient location!

One thing I'd like to get opinions on from those in the OT at #4 camp - what if Okung isn't available at #4? (there's a real possibility that DET could take him at #2)

If it's down to Bulaga (or whomever you rate as the #2 OT) vs. Clausen does that change your opinion at all of who the Skins should select? Would you be more inclined to support the Clausen pick in that scenario?

I've been in the Okung camp for a while but I'm beginning to see the rationale behind Clausen myself. For one thing, various and sundry issues that have emerged concerning the other top OL prospects seem to have elevated Okung to an elite all-by-himself status regarding draft prospects so it wouldn't surprise me much at all to see him gone in the first three picks. I've never been anti-Clausen, just kind of indifferent because of the level of competition thing. He does have good numbers and the possible concerns over attitude are mitigated by the apparent no-nonsense atmosphere Shanny seems to be placing in the organizational structure so I wouldn't be displeased to see us grab him. The OL depth in this draft seems deeper than the QB depth so a lower round OT may be in the offing. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't grab Clausen either-#4 might turn out to be a surprise. I'm just going to try to keep myself prepared for anything.

I've been in the Trade Down > Bradford > Okung >> Clausen camp, but watching 45 minutes of those highlights really warmed me to Clausen.

If you watch Bradford, he has impeccable accuracy, under no pressure, repeatedly flipping a ball precisely (w/ a gentle, tossing motion--obvious strength, but no zip) into the hands of a wide-open receiver.

Clausen is very accurate, though not quite as much as Bradford. But he did see pressure, and moves very nicely in the pocket. He makes lots of tough throws, threading the ball into tight spaces, hitting receivers who are slightly/momentarily open. He has a troubling habit of leaning back and putting his weight on his back foot as he releases long balls (though he shows nice touch on them).

Overall, Clausen seems in command of the game, decisive, and able to make all the throws. Obviously, highlight reels are not the best way to judge qb's, but they aren't trivial, either. I'm much, much more comfortable than I was an hour ago w/ our picking Clausen.

And for what it's worth, Mayock seems to be backing off a bit on his anti-Clausen kick--he's now saying that physically, Clausen is up there, it's just the cockiness/leaderhship thing that makes him downgrade Clausen significantly. That's something of a concern, but a) I don't see Clausen as Jeff George, and b) I'm much happier w/ a qb who has all the physical tools than someone who has a built-in fairly low ceiling. (Though Shanahan's drafting of Maurice Clarett, and signing of Larry Johnson, concern me a bit that he won't be sufficiently attentive to character issues.)

I am still baffled by the boost in both Clausen and Bradford's appeal. Bradford is coming off of a serious injury to his throwing arm and Clausen was able to put up incredible stats against weak defenses. Yet here we are talking about these 2 QB's like they are Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. Ok, maybe that was an exaggeration, but...

Is there a pattern here? It seems like every year there is a limited number of "top flight" QB's so there is an insurgence of hype revolving around the top 2 or 3.

Look, if Clausen or Bradford were taken somewhere between 9-18 in the draft I would think said team would have taken the proper risk with either. At number 1 and number 4, I don't think either is worth it.

I like his ability and style that I've watched on u-tube and the fact that he's played in a pro style set for 3 years..at ND....they say he's more ready to play now than Bradford is.....so we will see only time will tell if we draft him...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.