• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Draft 2010

brandies

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
obviously early, but it seems like not too many holes to fill. Lets say Campbell works out. Are there any glaring needs?

What my eloquent friend jrock said.

It's really gotten to be a cliche. The Redskins highest OL draft picks since 2000 have been 3rd-rounders Derrick Dockery ('03) and Chad Rhinehart ('08). Their total OL draft picks over the 10-year span dating back to 1999 is 10 (for how that compares to the other NFCE teams, here's a piece I did back in December).

And of course it's more than just the number of picks used, it's also where those picks fall. At SOME point one has to believe the team will finally reverse the trend; that they will finally acknowledge that this an area they have at best undervalued in the draft, and at worst badly neglected. Then again, we've been saying that for years.

[Note: these stats include OL and DL]

1999 – 6 overall picks, 2 linemen
OT Jon Jansen (2), OG Derek Smith (5)

2000 – 8 picks, 3 linemen
OT C. Samuels (1), OG M. Moore (4), DT D. Cowsette (7)

2001 – 5 picks, 1 lineman
DT Mario Monds (6)

2002 – 10 picks, 2 linemen
OT Reggie Coleman (6), DE Greg Scott (7)

2003 – 3 picks, 1 lineman
OG Derrick Dockery (3)

2004 – 4 picks, 2 linemen
OT Mark Wilson (5), OT Jim Molinaro (6)

2005 – 6 picks, 0 linemen

2006 – 6 picks, 3 linemen
DT A. Montgomery (5), DT K. Golston (6), OG K. Lefotu (7)

2007 – 5 picks, 0 linemen

2008 – 10 picks, 2 linemen
OG Chad Rinehart (3), DE Rob Jackson (7)

Total Picks 63, linemen 16 (25%)

... and broken down by round:

1st Round: 1 (’00)
2nd Round: 1 (’99)
3rd Round: 2 (’03, ’08)
4th Round: 1 (’00)
5th Round: 3 (’99, ’04, ’06)
6th Round: 4 ('01, ’02, ’04, ’06)
7th Round: 4 (’00, ’02, ’07, ’08)

Last edited:
Beyond the O-line (most glaring need), the team has real needs at linebacker, and will at running back. Portis is a workhorse but may be the oldest soon-to-be 28 year old in the league. Because of his physical style, I can't imagine he is going to hold up much longer.

OT in the first, what about a MLB for the future in the second? best available 4th, 5th and 7th figuring a guard will be best available in one of those spots? I think running back is again something we should look at if there is a good value.

Last edited:
Great post OM. I've been screaming about the O-line for years and we refuse to make it a priority year after year. It caught up to us last season and continues to be a serious concern this year. We find ourselves in a position where we have to have a lot of luck to have things work out.

So to the question of what we need in the 2010 draft:

O-line - C is a problem, we have no quality G depth, and could use a young T
LB - I hope some of our young guys step up.
QB - depending on the JC situation
WR - depending on the Thomas/Kelly situation.

The season will have to play out to see what order these need to be addressed, but that's my list. The team will probably draft two TEs and a FB :cry:

There isn't much of an excuse in my book not to take a O-lineman and a D-lineman in every draft. Seriously. If we look at Jarmon as our #3 pick for next season we can check D-line off the list for next season.

OT in the first, what about a MLB for the future in the second? best available 4th, 5th and 7th figuring a guard will be best available in one of those spots? I think running back is again something we should look at if there is a good value.

I wouldn't count out Blades as the MLB of the future just yet. He's a very smart player, learning under one of the best at his position, who is a similar-sized guy.

At the same time, I think we have some long-term answers at OL on the roster already. I really think Edwin Williams can play OC at the NFL level, and can take over for Rabach. I also think Rhino is going to be a good one, and can take Thomas' spot. If Heyer pans out, that's 4 of 5 starters on the roster already (including a relatively-young Doc). Nobody GREAT, but serviceable. Draft a stud OT in the first round, and we could be set for at least while.

I really thought Coach Buges was going to mold that Molinaro pick in 04 into something (he had Jacoby-like dimensions), but he never panned out. Now I'm hoping Rhino isn't another Molinaro...

Ditto on the O-line. C, T. Get some beef there.

Until I see 100% evidence, we still have to find a WR. Tanaman is now 30, and Randel El continues to dance away.

FB. Sellers is 34.

Not too worried about Portis. Yet.

Wouldn't hurt to think about Safety. No guarantee that Landry stays here forever.

Every year I and a few others beg for the team to fill the lines. And every year we get another receiver

I think DL is set for a while if Jarmen pans out. It will be interesting to see if anyone steps up on the offensive line this year.

1st round....O-line; preferably our future LT. Or a Linebacker (MLB or SLB), Or if Campbell fails and the Skins look for a new franchise QB (unless they feel Brennan is that guy)

2nd round.... RB, O-line if not yet addressed, or a LB

3rd round.... DE, Jeremy Jarmon, Kentucky

4th round..... RB (if not taken) WR (something tells me if there's no cap in 2010 ARE might not be back), LB, O-line, maybe a DT (Griffin's not getting any younger)

5th round.....somebody who can play special teams most of the positions listed in 4th round.

6th round.....2008 trade for Jason "3.5 sacks" Taylor

7th round... a Kicker or LS.

Last edited:
I think DL is set for a while if Jarmen pans out. It will be interesting to see if anyone steps up on the offensive line this year.

I would respectfully disagree. I think this is the thinking that got us in the situation of having to go get 3 guys this year like we did. I think smart teams are drafting a lineman on either side of the ball every single year (so one defense and one offense) unless they develop a stronger need for them. That is the minimum I would be doing were I in Vinny's place and some years, I would do more.

Dominating the LOS will make up for a lot of lesser talent in other positions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.