• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

In this time of "Change", is it time for a new Radio Booth?

Is it time for a new Skins Radio Booth?

• Total voters

@DCGoldPants

The Rookie
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Let me start out by saying this. I personally dislike Larry Michael as a play by play guy, tv show host, and overall Redskins media guy. I think he represents the Vinny years of attacking the people who point out their mistakes, instead of admitting they are valid things to list.

I will also admit that I am related to somebody who is a business news journalist in this area who is friendly with Frank Herzog. I've heard the stories of Larry's unethical practices before joining the Skins formally as an employee. So.....I am not even going to pretend to be open minded here.

But over.....Larry, Sonny and Sam are just a very weak booth now. I know a lot of folks over the past few seasons have commented on Sam slipping. Sonny has been ok, but not great.

Bottomline....I think its time to replace the whole booth. I also believe there is no law that says you need to have an ex-player as part of the booth. I would prefer one play by play guy, and one color guy. A third guy can be the sideline and lockerroom guy I guess.

So...I'd like to see what you guys think. Is it time to start fresh in the booth also?

Yeah, as much as I like Sonny and Sam in the booth, both have been slipping as of late. Maybe Riggins/Theismann and someone else for play by play?

Yeah, as much as I like Sonny and Sam in the booth, both have been slipping as of late. Maybe Riggins/Theismann and someone else for play by play?

Last year I hear rumors it was going to be Mike Patrick with Riggo and Joey T. But I think Riggo would never work for Snyder.....so, maybe Patrick and somebody else?

Personally, I'd like a younger play by play guy who could take that role for a long time.

After those youtube vids, I don't think Riggo would have a prayer:laugh:

But yeah, the search needs to start for a new "Voice of the Redskins"

As much as I love Sonny and Sam I can see where you’re going here and I reluctantly agree.

Sonny can still bring it but isn’t relevant to most people under 40. He might be better doing an “inside man” type segment before the games. Sam has been slipping for years and just doesn’t bring much to the table these days. Larry is just awful. He comes across as more of a toadie than anything else. There hasn’t been one special incident or anything, it’s just his complete body of work.

I think Doc Walker would be perfect as a color analyst. He has strong ties to the area and the organization without being an apologist. I think he’d be perfect. If you want to add Theisman to the booth I’d be fine with that as well although I don’t know if Joe would want to share the booth.

For a play by play guy how about Mike Patrick? I know he’s probably more interested in sticking with doing college games for ESPN on TV but though I should at least throw out one name.

*You guys mentioned Mike before I hit send on my reply. Good to see great minds agree on a few things.

I spent about 12 years in Florida so I was insulated from Larry Michaels upon his arrival to DC sports. When I joined ES 4 years ago, I heard grumblings about him. It wasn't until I returned to the DC area and actually heard him on the radio that I was amazed at how horrible he was!

I think Sonny is still more than capable, he spends too much time correcting/carrying Sam and Michaels is little help! Replace Sam with Doc Walker and that booth would definitely improve. Bring in someone like Mike Patrick to replace LM and you have a quality radio booth like when Herzog was on the air with Sonny and Sam.

I spent about 12 years in Florida so I was insulated from Larry Michaels upon his arrival to DC sports. When I joined ES 4 years ago, I heard grumblings about him. It wasn't until I returned to the DC area and actually heard him on the radio that I was amazed at how horrible he was!

I think Sonny is still more than capable, he spends too much time correcting/carrying Sam and Michaels is little help! Replace Sam with Doc Walker and that booth would definitely improve. Bring in someone like Mike Patrick to replace LM and you have a quality radio booth like when Herzog was on the air with Sonny and Sam.

E, I think you nailed it. Mike Patrick, Sonny and Doc Walker would do it for me. I'd actually make a point of listening.

I wonder how Darrell would sound doing the play-by-play?

Interesting notion! I'm all for getting rid of LM as soon as possible. He's painful to listen to in any context. Sam hasn't been the same since Frank left and Sonny has had to carry everyone.

I really like the idea of Patrick, Sonny and Doc. I could actually turn the radio back on for the games.

Now, how do we help make it happen?

I'm the odd man out, go figure.........

One of the very few things that has kept me going for so long through these lean years has been Sonny and Sam. Not for the football, but the entertainment they bring. Two goofy old friends talkin a "little" football.

Ya can't split them up, just let em go till one of them buys the farm. While I have nothing against Larry, a change there wouldn't break my heart.

I liked Larry better when he was in the studio, like what Kevin Sheehan does now.

How about moving Doc Walker in the booth?
He does this already for ACC games and has a good radio voice. Mike Patrick would be a good play by play......

now you would just need a defensive guy. Here's a suggestion.....Charles Mann.

He's done radio before, is a non-polarizing fan favorite (unlike a guy like Lavar)

I'm the odd man out, go figure.........

One of the very few things that has kept me going for so long through these lean years has been Sonny and Sam. Not for the football, but the entertainment they bring. Two goofy old friends talkin a "little" football.

Ya can't split them up, just let em go till one of them buys the farm. While I have nothing against Larry, a change there wouldn't break my heart.

Wish all you want, I don't think Larry's going anywhere.

Pete - I'm sentimental about Sonny and Sam too, and Sonny hasn't lost a step. But Sam? I mean - it's hard to get through 5 minutes without physically cringing. I'm seriously not sure he knows where he is half the time.

A couple years ago when I was in the hotel lobby and happened to be within ear shot of Sonny and Sam, Huff is watching Sports Center stuff and they are showing some Redskins clips. 'Who's that left-handed QB?' asks Huff.

'Damn Sam - that's Mark Brunell - who the hell did you think it was?!' said Sonny.

Enough said. He needs to go before he really embarasses himself. Count me on the 'Doc Walker' bus - guy does a great job.

Wish all you want, I don't think Larry's going anywhere.

Why, because he's bought and paid for by Danny? Why should he be any different than anyone else associated with the team?

If you do a crappy job, I think you need to go.

Not arguing otherwise Bill, just voicing I doubt he goes anywhere. He's entrenched from everything I can see.

We all thought Vinny was entrenched too.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

There was a tangible record of failure you could tie to Cerrato. 'We don't like Larry Michael' is just opinion/sentiment. Big difference.

Larry does a great deal of stuff behind the scenes with the documentaries and the general media stuff.

It wouldn't surprise me that he was the one who came up with teh Redskins Radio/Redskins Nation concept.

If you notice, he is the ex. producer on most of the Redskins media items.

I seriously doubt Larry and the emmys he's won are going anywhere, but it wouldn't surprise me if he leaves the booth when Sonny and Sam leave.

I understand his involvement behind the scene's and as a exec. producer, but for the love of God, somebody get him out from behind the mic. LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.