• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Select Jarmon in 3rd Round

smsmith70

The Cheerleader
Reaction score
http://profootballweekly.com/2009/07/16/redskins-select-jarmon-in-supplemental-draft

Posted July 16, 2009 @ 1:30 p.m.
By Nolan Nawrocki
The third round of the Supplemental draft just concluded and the Washington Redskins were awarded Kentucky DE Jeremy Jarmon in the silent auction draft.

Jarmon, who entered the draft after testing positive for an NCAA banned substance and subsequently was suspended for what would have been his senior season, received high marks for his character despite the mistake. He has ideal size and strength for a base end in a 4-3 defense.

The Redskins’ pass rush has been a weakness in recent years and has been a major priority this offseason, with the Redskins landing the biggest fish in free agency, Pro Bowl DT Albert Haynesworth, and selecting Texas DE-OLB Brian Orakpo with their first pick of the draft.

Last offseason, the Redskins traded their 2009 second-round pick for Jason Taylor during training camp after Phillip Daniels went down with injury. Jarmon could compete for playing time with two aging veterans, Daniels and Renaldo Wynn, and provide much needed youth in rotation while being groomed as a replacement.

Skins take Jarmon in supplemental draft

No article, I got this from RedskinsInsider on twitter.

http://twitter.com/RedskinsInsider/statuses/2673183875

EDIT: Link from Pro Football Weekly - http://profootballweekly.com/2009/07/16/redskins-select-jarmon-in-supplemental-draft

I don't know much about this kid - anyone here watch a lot of SEC ball and know anything about him? I hear the substance abuse charges were nonsense, and the general consensus is that this kid is very straight-forward. Hopefully we got a steal here - I just hope it wasn't too costly.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11954207
DE Jeremy Jarmon, Kentucky

Representatives from 18 NFL teams flew to Jarmon's pro day workout last week. Jarmon, 6-3 and 278 pounds, was clocked between 4.79-4.83 seconds in the 40-yard dash and impressed at least one front-office executive in attendance.

"I think he worked out well," Vinny Cerrato, vice president of football operations for the Washington Redskins, told the Lexington Herald-Leader. "He ran well and was in good shape. He needs to get a little stronger, but he represented himself well. He's a great kid, solid in the locker room. He's smart. He's got all of the intangible things."

Jarmon was named an Honorable Mention All-SEC selection last season by the Associated Press after registering 38 tackles, 10 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks as a junior. Those numbers pale in comparison to Jarmon's career highs from a year earlier, when he had 62 tackles and 13.5 sacks.

Jarmon ranks third all-time at Kentucky with 17.5 career sacks and had been within striking distance of Oliver Barnett's 26 had he not tested positive for a banned substance during the spring.

The banned substance, widely reported to be an over-the-counter dietary supplement, led to Jarmon being suspended for one season, which exhausted his eligibility because he redshirted as a freshman. UK's appeal of the suspension was denied.

A veteran of 31 career starts, Jarmon has already graduated with a degree in political science and is highly recommended by the UK staff despite the suspension.

Jarmon considered leaving after his junior season, applying to the NFL Advisory Committee and receiving a fourth- to fifth-round grade. He's not an explosive edge rusher, but uses his hands well and locates the ball quickly. Scouts would like to see him improve his strength, but feel he can contribute immediately.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/art...ers-supplemental-draft-offers-nfl-opportunity

Jeremy Jarmon, Kentucky
NFL position: DE
Height: 6-3
Weight: 278
40 time: 4.76
Projection: Fourth-round pick

Strengths: Is a strong and physical end who consistently is a force against the run -- on runs directly at him and away from him. On runs to his side, consistently keeps the ball carrier contained and makes more tackles than most defensive ends. On runs away, comes down the line quickly to deliver violent hits. As a pass rusher -- when using good leverage and using hands aggressively -- shows the strength to jolt and drive offensive tackles into quarterbacks. Is competitive, and consistently hustles and chases ball carriers downfield.

Weaknesses: Is not an explosive pass rusher, limiting his ability to defeat offensive tackles. Struggles to threaten the corner as a pass rusher, and lacks a variety of pass-rush moves.

Bottom line: Jarmon was forced to enter the supplemental draft after being declared ineligible for his senior season because of a failed drug test, testing positive for a banned diuretic supplement. Jarmon had a great sophomore season but saw his production drop in '08 with opponents shifted blocking schemes his way. Based on film study, he has the talent to become a good NFL strong-side end whose strength will be playing the run. If he can add 25 pounds, he could be an ideal end in a 3-4 scheme. His lack of explosiveness makes Jarmon a mid-round prospect.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-07-15/for-eight-players-supplemental-draft-offers-nfl-opportunity

Lets just say my expectations aren't that high.

And if this brass thinks that drafting this guy means Orakpo doesn't have to play DE, I am going to be miffed.

Agree with that. Orakpo better play at least some of the game with his hand on the ground. Also I think its a great depth pick and a solid move to help shore up the already stout run D. They could do a lot worse in the 3rd round.

I think we're looking at Jarmon to eventually be P. Daniels' replacement and Orakpo to replace A. Carter on the other side. If he does become another Daniels, that would be worth a 3rd in my book.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Agree with that. Orakpo better play at least some of the game with his hand on the ground. Also I think its a great depth pick and a solid move to help shore up the already stout run D. They could do a lot worse in the 3rd round.

Or, they could have traded that 3rd round pick + another pick for a washed-up veteran who barely sees the field, then play him out of position when he does. :)

I think we're looking at Jarmon to eventually be P. Daniels' replacement and Orakpo to replace A. Carter on the other side. If he does become another Daniels, that would be worth a 3rd in my book.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I was thinking the same thing. I have no problem with using our 3rd round pick since, barring injury, the consensus was that he would be taken in the first three rounds of the 2010 draft anyway. I wouldn't call him a steal unless he ends up in the Pro Bowl but if he can play anywhere close to Daniels in his prime then it's a solid pick.

The only part that gives me pause:

Representatives from 18 NFL teams flew to Jarmon's pro day workout last week. Jarmon, 6-3 and 278 pounds, was clocked between 4.79-4.83 seconds in the 40-yard dash and impressed at least one front-office executive in attendance.

"I think he worked out well," Vinny Cerrato, vice president of football operations for the Washington Redskins, told the Lexington Herald-Leader.

The only part that gives me pause:

"I think he worked out well," Vinny Cerrato, vice president of football operations for the Washington Redskins, told the Lexington Herald-Leader.

You dare question Cerrato's scouting acumen? :laugh:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblo...eam-come-true/

Jarmon: Dream come true

By Ryan O'Halloran on July 16, 2009
Redskins 360

Redskins front office boss Vinny Cerrato and new defensive end Jeremy Jarmon held conference calls with the media in the last hour. Here are some of the highlights.

*It was the first time the Redskins have ever selected a player in the supplemental draft. Jarmon was the 19th pick in the third round and his contract will come from an added amount to the Redskins' rookie pool. He was the only one of the eight players entered into the draft that was selected.

*Jarmon worked out for 18 NFL teams on July 8 in Kentucky. That night, he met with Redskins officials and two days later, he was flown to Aspen, Colo., to meet with owner Dan Snyder and coach Jim Zorn.

*The other team that appeared to have the most interest was Detroit. Cerrato expected the Lions to use a fourth-round pick if Jarmon was still on the board.

*Jarmon said his failed drug test was for an over-the-counter supplement he was taking to watch his weight while recovering from a shoulder injury. "That was definitely the low point if not the lowest point in my life," he said.

*Jarmon: "Under the circumstances, this is the best situation for me. ... I sent Vinny a text message this morning and said, 'I want to be a Redskin. Make it happen.' ... It's a place I wanted to be."

*Cerrato: "If he would have gone through the combine, he probably goes in the second round. We get a chance to get a quality player at a quality price. I don't think we could have got him in the third round next April."

Cerrato comments on Jarmon

July 16, 2009
Redskins Park

Redskins Executive Vice President/Football Operations Vinny Cerrato

On what he liked about Jeremy Jarmon:

“The number one thing is, when he applied to the supplemental and we got his name, (Director of Player Personnel) Scott [Campbell] first looked at him, then he called (Area Scout) Bill Baker. Bill, who was scouting that area, checked him out, you know, character and all that. That came back good. Then Scott watched him on film and liked him on film, Bill Baker liked him on film. Then Scott and I sat down and watched all his tape, and liked him on film. Then we went down to the workout, Scott, myself, and then (Defensive Line Coach) John Palermo was there too, and talked to all the coaches down there, talked to the trainer. The kid is an articulate kid, has already graduated in Political Science, he is only 21 years old, and, you know, he made a mistake taking the dietary substance. He went around the corner from the facility there, and got a dietetic. But, Scott and I and Palermo, we took him to dinner, spent like three hours with him that night liked his personality and thought he would fit in with our guys, thought he was a lot like our guys, personality-wise. Once we did that, we talked to (Owner) Dan [Snyder] and Jim Zorn after the workout and said we really liked this guy, and then the kid flew out that Saturday and had dinner with Dan and Jim Zorn in Aspen. Then they liked him a lot too, and then we all talked about it and said that we should do this. We knew that we would have to give a third round pick to get him, because we knew that we wouldn’t get him if we put in a four because there were too many other teams.”

On how he will fit in at defensive end:

“He will be a left defensive end. He was 6-3, 280 [lbs.], ran 4.79 [40-yard dash], 31 vertical, had a 10-inch hand, 33 7/8 arm, and he was a 28 Wonderlic. He only did 19 benches; he needs to get stronger in the upper body. He has a great lower body and needs to get stronger in the upper body.

On when and where the workout took place”
“It was July 8, in Lexington Kent., at the University of Kentucky.”

On how much he will help right away:

“I wouldn’t say he is a project. I think he will be able to help on special teams right away because he can run so well. And he is coming into a situation where he’s got a chance to learn from two great veterans in Phillip and Renaldo. So there is no pressure on him, where he has to do it. What he has to do is come in and learn from Phillip and Renaldo is what he needs to do.

On Brian Orakpo’s Progress, and what this changes:

“Orakpo is the exact same as what he was. This does not change anything with Brian.”

On how the contract will work:

“He is the nineteenth pick of the third round. So that is what his slot will be and we get more rookie pool money tomorrow.”

On Jarmon’s suspension, and whether he spoke about it with the team:

“We talked to him about it, we talked to the trainers about it, and we talked to the coaches about it. The trainer knew the most about it, because he was the one involved in the whole thing. We talked to their NCAA guidance person at Kentucky, and he just went around the corner and bought it at one of those nutritional stores. And he went through spring ball. He went through all of spring ball with Kentucky. And then he was suspended, I think it was in June.”

On Jeremy addressing what happened in a press conference after being suspended:

“I think it showed what type of kid he was. And that’s the type of guy we want in our locker room. You know, the type of person he is, we thought he fit perfectly with our guys. He would fit well in a room with them.”

On whether he was double-teamed a lot in college, and if that contributed to a lesser sack total in 2008 than 2007:

“I asked the coaches that, and they said, hey, we don’t have a lot of stars here so when the other teams find out who they are, they try to take them out of the game. But actually, I watched 2007 film and then 2008, and I thought he was a much better player in 2008 than in 2007, so I think he has a good upside to him.”

On any lingering issues with his shoulder:

“No, he missed two weeks at the end of the year. He had some tendonitis in his shoulder, but he went and got a physical with Jim Andrews and all that. We went through all the records with the trainer, Scott Campbell, and myself. He started lifting again right after. He missed two weeks; it was just the wear and tear of the season, and then he took two weeks off, and then he was cleared to go back lifting.”

On bulking him up:

“The thing about it was, he played between 280 and 285, and then he has been in Nashville training with, I can’t remember the group of people he was training with, but once he got suspended, he couldn’t work out and stuff at Kentucky. He did it on his own, went and got these people and trained with them, and he was in good shape at the workout. I was impressed with the type of condition he was in, and I think the strength coaches and their coaches were quite impressed that he was at 280, and worked out the way he did. I think his weight, whether he plays at 280, 285, wherever he will be in a year, our strength coaches will put on good weight. As he gets stronger, he will get more lean mass and those type things. So he may be 285.”

On whether any other teams drafted a player, or any other teams were involved with the draft:

“No, he was the only one drafted. But I know a lot of teams, talking with some of the other media people, and I know from talking with his agent, and I got a text from one team that was picking very, very high in the fourth, they thought they were going to get him.”

On whether someone will be released to make room:

“When he signs. We’ve still got to release three guys. When we sign our three draft picks that haven’t signed, we will be releasing three guys. You’ll see that when we sign somebody, somebody’s got to go.”

On the importance of getting younger with Brian Orakpo, and now with Jeremy Jarmon:

“I thought that it was a situation where you get a chance to get a big defensive lineman, and he gets the chance to come in, learn from two veteran guys. He is 21 years old, and he has got the size. To me, in next year’s draft, if he had gone through the combine and everything else, the guy probably goes in the second round, cause D-linemen always go high in the draft. So I think we got the chance to get a quality player at a quality price. I don’t think we could have got him in the third, come next April. And this way, he is a year ahead. For our third-round pick next year, we are getting a year of his work already into it. When we would have made the pick, he has already had a whole season and part of an off season already.”

On if this is the first time he has taken part in the Supplemental Draft with the Redskins?

“Yeah, first time, so we didn’t know the whole process. I never did it is San Francisco, so it’s a first. And we were just sitting there, and one o’clock was the first round, and it was 10 minutes and you email in, we’re not interested. Second round – same thing, and then third round – 'we’ll take him with our third.’ Then we were waiting for the email back saying whether we got him or not.

To me this looks like our future DE tandem (possibly as soon as 2010) will be Orakpo and and Jarmon.

Daniels and Wynn, I doubt will be back next year and I wonder if Andre Carter will be gone sooner than later (barring a great season this year).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.