• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What Are the 5 Most Memorable Sporting Events You Have Attended

1. My very first Redskins game 1982 NFC Championship game. I don't remember the details of the game but just being in the place you couldn't help but to be a fan! I was hooked completely. Years later my Pops told me he wanted me there so I wouldn't be like him...a team flip flopper!

Oh, you lucky bastage.

I would have killed to be at that game.

I would give up all the games I went to at RFK (Which were a lot) if I could have been at that one.

That was the greatest game in RFK history.

Oh, you lucky bastage.

I would have killed to be at that game.

I would give up all the games I went to at RFK (Which were a lot) if I could have been at that one.

That was the greatest game in RFK history.

Lucky me my Pops was working for the Secreatary of Navy at that time and he always had a connection to the games back in the day.

4.jpg

Here is a nice read about that game from Richard Justice:

The House Was Rockin', the Players Were Knockin'

By Richard Justice
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 12, 1997

Russ Grimm remembers the first time he realized RFK Stadium was special. It was just before the 1982 NFC championship game, and the Washington Redskins had gathered inside their locker room for last-minute instructions from Coach Joe Gibbs.

Whatever Gibbs said that afternoon has long since been forgotten. What Grimm and his teammates experienced hasn’t.

At first, it resembled the roar of a jet engine parked outside their door. Then it was accompanied by the rocking of an earthquake.

"It sounded like the place was going to come apart," Grimm recalled 15 years later. "It was like nothing you’d ever heard."

Click on the link above for the remainder.

3) 11/5/2006 - the "blocked field goal game." Novak misses a 49-yarder to win the game, and the Cowboys get the ball back. Cowboys get the ball, drive to the 42, and Vanderjagt has a chance to win. In steps vet Troy Vincent - he blocks the field goal, and the ball ends up in, as Joe Gibbs said, "the one person's hands you want the ball to be in at that moment." Taylor returns the ball about 15 yards, but a Kyle Kosier facemask gives them 15 more. Novak nails the 47-yarder as time expires to beat the Pukes.

I was also at the game and sitting in the lower level goaline on the end of the field where the winning FG was kicked. Time Had Already Expired, but the game couldn't end because of the penalty. :)

1.) Superbowl XLIII- It was very interesting to be at the superbowl, in my own backyard, not having any expectations. I was rooting for the Steelers mainly for anti cowboys sentiment, but secondarily because I still don't like the cards from their NFC east days. Had a great time at, arguably, one of the greatest SBs ever played. The excitement and energy in the air was like nothing I'd experienced since the World Series game I attended a couple months earlier.

2.) World Series Game one- Rays vs. Phillies. Once again in my own backyard. About 6pm that evening I asked my wife if she wanted to go to the Tropicana Field and see if we could get some tickets. She wasn't up for it so I rode my motorcycle there and parked right across the street. I walked 10' and purchased a ticket in the 10th row right behind homeplate for face value.

3.) 1999 NFL Playoff game- Redskins at Tampa. Very exciting, a ton of Skins fans there congregating in the concourse. This was an up and down game typical of the Skins. We went into the halftime losing by three I believe then Brian Mitchell ran the second half kickoff back for a TD. We scored again extending our lead. All signs pointed toward victory, but the Bucs battle back and retook the lead (which reminds of the later Skins/Bucs I attended were "Alstot didn't get it, another greatest game ever). With a couple minutes left "Bad Brad" lead the skins down the field in the 2 minute offense. We lined up for the game winning FG attempt with seconds left. Just when you knew we had won the game with a easy FG, Turk the long snapper sends it high to the holder Brad Johnson, who decides to run with the ball against the NFL's fastest defense :cry: The Bucs went on to the NFC Championship and rolled over for the Rams, who we'd beaten in the regular season that year. The Rams went on to win the SB handsomely.

4.) 11/5/06 the Skins / Cowboys FG with no time left after the runback of the blocked FG by Sean Taylor. I'd already left the field and was headed for the entrance to the parking lot, when my friend had to pause for the cause.
We got up to leave as the Cboys were lining up for a FG thinking this game is over and I had to get to National airport for a 6:30pm flight back to Tampa. All the sudden the stadium erupted and I ran over to look at a monitor next to the tunnel. The Skins were lining up for a FG, but how? Just then my friend came out of the men's room completely oblivious. I grabbed his arm and yanked down the tunnel (no time to explain). Just as we cleared the tunnel, in the back corner of the correct endzone, the FG attempt began, went through the posts and the place erupted like a volcano.
Humiliated Cowboys took a barrages of abuse as the scurried for the exits like the rats that they are.

5.) I think that this qualifies. The HOF induction of Darrell Green and Art Monk. I knew in the planning that I really wanted to go to pay tribute to two great men that made my mediocre life, during the 70's and 80's worth living for. I won't elaborate, but somehow for a few hours a week these two helped me get my mind of the daily grind. I gotta admit that I didn't get very good tickets to the ceremony. There were in the stands toward the top, more than halfway back. Then my friend, who I already had a ticket for scored some of the later released floor tickets that were still a couple sections back from the stage. Before the induction began, my friend and I meandered up to the stage to get a closer look at the HOF'ers taking their seats and Chris Berman stood at the mic for a good 20 minutes before hand. Then the show was getting under way and I spied some seats in the 10 row on the aisle and my friend and grabbed them thinking that we'd probably have to move when the owners of the seats showed up. As luck would have it, no one ever came and we were sitting further forward than anyone else besides the players and their families. In fact, John Elway's entire offensive line was sitting in the row right in front of us for the induction of Gary Zimmerman. Many of you readers were there for the nearly 5 minute applause for Art Monk. I was close enough to see the tears welling in his eyes. After I got back home from that wonderful weekend, my friend called to inform me that the washington post had taken a photo of just me in the crowd clapping with Art and Darrell. It doesn't get any better than that for me anyway.

6.) a couple of honorable mentions. Last year I was also able to attend the
Daytona 500, The Gator Nationals, The Honda 200/Bike Week @ Daytona, the St. Pete Grand Prix, and the USGP MotoGP race at Laguna Seca Monterey CA. There will never be another year like last year. :)

Attachments

• dean@hof.jpg
    dean@hof.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 108
Yes.

It's hard to nail down 5. But as far as pure emotion goes, #1 is the seat cushion game for me too.

We pretty much dominated that game - but we dominated all season, so it was par for the course. The game was really more a celebration of greatness than a contest.

When those yellow seats came cascading down, I cried. It was mass euphoria, unequalled by anything I've ever experienced. I had never felt anything like that before. And I acknowleged that to myself at the time, as it happened.

I said to myself "Mark, you will never experience this feeling again."

Yeah, it was indeed magic. The win as made all the more sweeter by Jerry Glanville, Deion and hammer running their yaps the whole week before the game.

I wish the Skins had score five more times:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.