• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Release: Statement from Dan Snyder regarding Emmitt Smith comments

Pappas

Statement from Dan Snyder regarding Emmitt Smith comments

“I applaud Emmitt Smith’s induction into the NFL Hall of Fame and, from what I understand, he’s a heck of a dancer. I think we’ve only met once briefly at an NFL function in 2000. I will say, however, that I like to think of myself as being a compassionate person, except toward the Dallas Cowboys.”

The danny is one of my least favorite people on the planet. But having at one time seen the amount he gives to charity, to say he is not compassionate (money-wise) would be wrong.

Compassion towards people, that 's another story

Well, when Emmit Smith says something I definitely listen. The guy is a genius...no wait....he's an idiot. Let's look at the top 10 Emmit Smith gems he came up with while working over at ESPN as an "expert" analyst.

--------------------

10. “Weakest conferences”

The NFC West was certainly a weak division this past season. Emmit said it best when he declared that “the NFC West is probably one of the weakest… conferences… in the whole NFC.” He almost caught himself there, but it was just too late. The NFC West is still the weakest conference in the conference.

9. “Bootprint”

While appearing on Sportscenter in early September 2008, Emmitt reported that the New York Giants had given the league a “bootprint” for beating the Patriots.

8. “More better”

Emmitt Smith’s way of explaining things is, well, a bit different: “As my offense get better, my defense is gonna be that much more better.” Emmitt may have only been with ESPN for two years, but he did get more better over time.

7. “Carousing the football carrier”

You have to love the look on Bill Parcells face when Emmitt Smith explained, “They do a very good job flying around the football field and carousing the football carrier.” Maybe he meant corralling, maybe not.

6. “Rites of Patches” vs. “Rice of Passage”

Smith on New England QB Matt Cassel: “He’s stuck between a rock and a hard place. And the reason why I say that is this kid obviously has not earned the rice of patches in the locker room.”

Smith on Giants QB Eli Manning: “Eli Manning has been given the rice of passage.”

5. “None and void”

Before a Monday Night Football game in Week 4 of the 2008 season, Emmitt reflected on the strong defenses and weak offensive lines of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens. He predicted that the running game for both teams that night would be “none and void.”

4. “Got debacled”

After the Giants upset the Pats in the final minute of Super Bowl XLII, Emmitt chimed in with this memorable line: “What happened tonight, the strength of the Patriots team got debacled.”

3. “Blowed out”

Classic Emmitt. This one was another repeat offender. When discussing going up against the Pats, Emmitt explained, “This kind of inconsistency play, going up against a team like New England, will get you completely blowed out”

After people started to notice Smith’s broadcasting gems, Emmitt did his best to try and improve his delivery: “Don’t worry about the game you just won or the team that we just blew out… or, um… blown… blowed out… Let’s think about what we need to do going forward, and they had, uh… blown out.”

2. “Sharp as a whistle”

When discussing the Pats again, Emmitt didn’t mix his metaphors: “Go to Arizona, sharp as a whistle, and do some finishing touches, so we can go down in the Super Bowl and play our best football of the whole entire season.”

1. “The stripes of a leopard”

Back in Week 3 of the 2007 season, Emmitt was asked about the ability of Randy Moss to be a leader in New England. Emmitt’s response? “You cannot change the stripes of a leopard.” Indeed Emmitt, indeed.

Florio just posted the exchange at PFT. Good to see that he is now a fan of John's work as well. :)

Emmit is so dumb. I mean, how dumb do you have to be to make this comment:

"And he's not a compassionate person, not a compassionate person at all from what I understand. And that makes me just want to pummel somebody."

The danny is one of my least favorite people on the planet. But having at one time seen the amount he gives to charity, to say he is not compassionate (money-wise) would be wrong.

Compassion towards people, that 's another story

As I said on another board, there's likely some historical context to this. Remember that Norv Turner was the Cowboys OC during the early part and might have (can't say for sure) been close to Emmitt on some level. I'm sure we all remember how Dan treated Norv like crap on some occasions during his early tenure as owner, such as chewing him out after the '99 loss at Dallas, and then making Norv wait around at the stadium on the night before he got fired.

I would think if you asked Joe Gibbs which person he most wanted to beat during his first stint here, he would probably answer "Buddy Ryan," due to the Eagles coach being a blowhard.

I'm thinking Bruce Allen wrote that response and had Danny do the delivery. Still, a nice comeback to a guy I've ALWAYS hated. Not a big Danny fan but I have to applaud that. Let's get this rivalry back to where it needs to be.

You can see that Emmitt gave little or no thought to what he would do after football.

He hangs around the game and in the media but isn't really a guy that projects to having staying power. Unlike Troy Aikman or Michael Strahan on the studio show Emmitt really doesn't have any on air personality to project and he is often wrong in his judgments about players.

You all are spelling his last name wrong. It is Smiff. Just ask him.

this is yet another reason im not going to canton. i dont want to go to jail for knocking some idiot in a 22 jersey out for talking trash about how great emmitt was.

it took him 34 years to break payton's record with the ginormous line he played with. barry will always be the better of the 2 running backs and jerry rice the better dancer.

**** emmitt.

You know Mike, as much as it pains me to admit it, I have a lot of respect for him. In fact, I remember exactly when I went from complete disdain/hatred to grudging respect-the Giants game when he played with an injured shoulder and still ran all over them.

Even so, that was Emmitt the player. Emmitt the broadcaster is (in best B. Walton voice) HORRIBLE!! In fact, it's debatable who's worse between him and Dopenose Irvin. Of course, there's no shame in speaking "Ebonics" or having a regional dialect. However what I do blame him for is not having enough sense or professionalism to get tutored a-la Sugar Ray Leonard to be able to speak better.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

this is yet another reason im not going to canton. i dont want to go to jail for knocking some idiot in a 22 jersey out for talking trash about how great emmitt was.
Like I told SF44, we got bail money.

emmitt needs to thank herschel walker in his induction speech for making so many players come to Dallass. if he didnt then there is no Irvin, no Aikman and then there's no talk about how "great" he is.

that game where he came back (correct me if im wrong) but that long run he made was without being touched thru the hole. doesnt take much to run that far and im sure he was shot up, doped up, or just too stupid to feel the pain.

man i cant stand emmitt's punk ass..

Yeah, I am not a big fan of Emmitt Smith either Mike! He rode his way to the Hall on the Shoulders of a Hall of Fame Offensive line. Barry Sanders' retirement is the reason he holds the all-time rushing record! He was a great running back, but when there is mention of the greatest Running Backs in the history of the NFL , his name will never be near the top. No one will ever say he was the best or even close. If they do they are delusional!

I've been in arguments with people claiming that Emmitt is way better than Sanders. I have always said that if Emmitt went to the Lions at that time, then no one would have ever heard of him. Put Barry Sanders behind that Cowboys front line, and no one would ever catch the rushing record that he would hold. He would have at least 21,000 yards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.