• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WPC/BGO Coverage: 2010 Free Agency

Pappas

WPC/BGO Coverage: 2010 Free Agency

03/05/10​

*crickets*

It's like somebody threw a party and no-one showed up.

Greetings my friends and welcome to WPC/BGO coverage of the NFL 2010 Free Agency period. My name is Pappas, but some know me as JimmiJo. I am the editor for WarpathConfidential.com, and as many of you know, BGO and WPC have a strategic alliance for Redskins coverage and conversation.

This year, we at WPC hope to be doing more to provide content and other inside access to BGO readers. Today is an example. Consider us your man on the inside.

I am coming to you live from Redskins Park in Ashburn, Virginia and the story here is; there's no story. We didn't wake up to headlines screaming that the Redskins signed every big name out there. We aren't seeing a parade of top free agents coming through. Instead, it's just me and the Washington Post sitting in a quiet room with nothing going on.

This is a bit suprising considering the purge yesterday. The team saw 11 players leave (counting Chris Samuels' retirement) and the conventional wisdom was the team was preparing for an aggressive free agency. Yet almost 12 hours into it, no-one has been signed and all we've heard about is Chad Clifton and Tony Pashos are scheduled to visit.

But no story is a story in itself. It may be the same team, and have the same owner, but there is a new GM and Head Coach in town. This is also a different kind of year with no salary cap in place. Many would-be free agents are now restricted, and just when we thought we had a handle on that, cuts throughout the league put a lot of players on the street.

The fact remains the Redskins have only five picks in the upcoming draft and a lot of holes to fill. I can't believe the team is not going to get some things done today.

And for that reason alone, I am here.

So tell me, how are you liking free agency so far today? Are you in favor of the quieter approach? Or, are you like a kid who ran down from his room on Christmas morning to find it empty under the tree?

Stand by for news and updates, as they happen (if they happen). Do me a favor and chime in so I don't feel so alone in this empty place.

11:50AM

On Weigman I hear he visited yesterday and that his agent isn't saying much today.

On Clifton and Pashos, all I know is they are coming at some point today.

I did hear something about a player that if it went down would be very interesting, but at this point it is remote so don't want to say more.

1:15PM

At this rate I will be able to pay all my bills online, respond to e-mails for two months ago, and catch up on my psychology class reading. You saw I posted the audio for Lorenzo. There were a few other guys like Rocky McIntosh and Mike Williams out here, but I was on the phone and could not get them.

I am working the phones trying to find out as much as I can. Heard more about one player but there is not enough to go with. Have a few more calls to make but for now, same as before.

Who stole my Redskins' offseason?!

4:10PM

Still not a lot going on here, but I still find it difficult to believe nothing will happen today, or this evening.

John Keim just tweeted that he hears both Clifton and Pashos are in town. I've been told the same thing.

My gut tells me we will hear something early tonight, but that is just a guess. Stand by, and I will let you know what goes on.

6:15PM - Signoff

The almost unthinkable happened at Redskins Park tonight. The sun set on the first day of free agency in an uncapped year and no players were signed.

That doesn't even sound right does it?

During the disappointment of last season, fans clamored for change in Washington. They said they wanted to see something different in team direction and attitude from team leadership.

Well, this is different.

They didn’t sign the biggest name out there. They didn’t telegraph everything they were going to do. And they didn’t sign guys just because they showed up.

But we are still in the first 24 hours of free agency and they could get active anytime. And in a sense they have to do something. Five picks in the draft is most likely not going to fill all the holes they have.

So expect something tomorrow I would say. As for now, Comcast heard from a source who said no announcement would come tonight. As everyone is leaving, I would say this is good info.

My plan is to get out of here for now. If something comes up I can monitor from home. I will probably be back tomorrow and will start a new thread or continue this one.

Sorry Day 1 wasn’t more exciting. See you guys tomorrow.

To listen to comments from Lorenzo Alexander click HERE

03/06/10​

1:15PM

Well folks, I've sent out e-mails and made calls, and no-one has heard a thing. After reporting Shanahan at dinner last night I've heard nothing further about Pashos.

We do know that Artis Hicks and Larry Foote are expected to visit. Yesterday there was a rumor Casey Weigmann was close to a deal, but that was over 24 hours ago and so far we have heard nothing today.

You've probably seen the Dan Snyder statement on Emmitt Smith's comments yesterday. Am I the only who finds it funny?

I will keep monitoring and if I hear something will pass it on. If they announce a signing I will share, unless it is already reported. And if they have a presser I will attend.

Carry on...

8:20PM

It only took 45 hours, but reports are that guard Artis Hicks has signed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Casey Wiegman is all but signed. Could be announced sometime soon.

Chad Clifton could sign a bit later in the day.

Thanks for being our man-about-town today, John. I'm hearing rumors of Casey Wiegmann talking things over with the FO but via phone instead of a visit. Have you heard anything about that....or when Clifton and Pashos are supposed to arrive?

I like new approach. What I like is we have a plan and seem to be working that plan versus winning the FA Bowl.

Heard someone say that today is like Dec. 23rd and people out rushing to get something, tomorrow will be like Dec. 24th and the sales start and by Monday it will be equivalent of Dec. 26th and sales really start. So by waiting we can get the bargins and save ourselves some money.

Any reaction at Redskins Park over Peppers, Vanden Bosch, and teams like Bears, Detroit, and Giants being so aggressive?

I like new approach. What I like is we have a plan and seem to be working that plan versus winning the FA Bowl.

Heard someone say that today is like Dec. 23rd and people out rushing to get something, tomorrow will be like Dec. 24th and the sales start and by Monday it will be equivalent of Dec. 26th and sales really start. So by waiting we can get the bargins and save ourselves some money.

Any reaction at Redskins Park over Peppers, Vanden Bosch, and teams like Bears, Detroit, and Giants being so aggressive?

If they land Clifton and Pashos I will be more than satisfied with day 1. I have heard nothing on the other guys, and not really sure at this point how much they wanted Peppers. While this team has changed, player agents have not and I wonder how much of the Peppers' stuff last night was an agent trying to inflate the price.

While this team has changed, player agents have not and I wonder how much of the Peppers' stuff last night was an agent trying to inflate the price.

I betting most of it. We simply don't need another $100M tied up in another D-Lineman. His agent is probably using the Skins while he still can. Going forward it might not seem so easy.

John, is there a national press presence there? Wondering if any of the big outlets (ESPN, FOX, CBSports ...) showed up expecting to fill their easy "Snyder At It Again!" leads.

John, is there a national press presence there? Wondering if any of the big outlets (ESPN, FOX, CBSports ...) showed up expecting to fill their easy "Snyder At It Again!" leads.

None of the above. Right now it is me, Washington Post, and Comcast.

John, just heard that Clifton has signed? Any confirmation?

Looks like Big Mike Williams has signed a multi-year deal with the 'Skins.

They have yet to invent the instrument that could measure my interest in Rex Grossman as a potential starting QB.

As a vet backup? It registers ... but barely.

A league source tells us that the Washington Redskins are interested in Rex Grossman.

There goes Florio, quoting Redskins message boards as "league sources" again.

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

March 5, 2010

REDSKINS SIGN ALEXANDER, DANIELS, WILLIAMS

LOUDOUN COUNTY, VA – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed restricted free agent linebacker Lorenzo Alexander to a contract extension and signed defensive end Phillip Daniels and offensive lineman Mike Williams. Terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.