• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Day One Free Agency Thread

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Day One! We're off and ... well, walking.

Free Agency Tracker

As of 9:30 am EST, the only breaking news in Redskins Nation is that there has been none. Which is, of course, news.

Feel free to discuss, speculate, etc., on Day One here, both Redskins-related and league-wide.

Coffee and donuts, folks.

***​

REDSKINS MOVES/SIGNINGS:

10 Players Released

Gone are backup quarterback Todd Collins, receiver Antwaan Randle El, guard Randy Thomas, kick returner Rock Cartwright, cornerback Fred Smoot, running back Ladell Betts and defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin. Their contracts were terminated.

Also exiting via waivers: Running back Marcus Mason, fullback Eddie Williams and defensive end J.D. Skolnitsky.

LEAGUE MOVES/SIGNINGS OF NOTE:

Lions, Vanden Bosch agree on four-year, $26M deal
Lions sign WR Burleson to five-year deal
Brooks: Jets’ D now ’scary good’ with Cromartie
Report: TE Manumaleuna agrees to terms with Bears

Falcons re-sign backup QB Redman
Turk, Matt P UFA, 6-5 251 14th Season, HOU to HOU
Colts, Brackett agree on five-year deal
Weaver, Leonard FB, RFA 6-0 250 5th Season, PHI to PHI

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's Kirwan's Top 50 (not meticulously up-to-the-minute though)

Never thought I'd ever be saying this, but I think I'd welcome every Cardinal on that list. Dansby, Rolle, Okefor, even Neil Rakers.

Wouldn't mind Jarvis Green either. Another decent 3-4 defense end/linebacker hybrid we could probably get at a decent price.

This may be one of quietest days and weekends for start of FA that Redskins can remember. I am more and more impressed as read that we have a plan and will stick to this plan. Snyder has been presented the plan and gave full approval.

I am just as excited over the fact that we're acting like a real NFL FO versus the fantasy league FO.

OF: Day One, 2010 Free Agency

Om Field: Day One, 2010 Free Agency

And so it begins.

As of this writing (9:45 am EST), the Washington Redskins have made no new signings ... thus making news by not making news, which, as those who have followed this team closely for the past few years can attest, is news.

Boots-on-the-ground guy extraordinaire John Pappas (Warpath Confidential) is on his way to Ashburn this morning to cover all Redskins-related comings and goings, ins and outs, rumors and facts of day one as we launch into the 2010 NFL free agency period.

Check for his reportage HERE beginning approx. 11 am.

The "all quiet on the signings front" so far doesn't mean there hasn't been movement, however. A quick, sincere nod of appreciation for the individual and combined efforts of the 10 most recent former Redskins:

Gone are backup quarterback Todd Collins, receiver Antwaan Randle El, guard Randy Thomas, kick returner Rock Cartwright, cornerback Fred Smoot, running back Ladell Betts and defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin. Their contracts were terminated.

Also exiting via waivers: Running back Marcus Mason, fullback Eddie Williams and defensive end J.D. Skolnitsky.

Hail, and stay tuned.

Last edited:
wouldn't Jamal Williams take care of the NT problem?

I love that nobody is signed yet. I love that the two names so far are both OL.

I love that nobody is signed yet. I love that the two names so far are both OL.

I second that motion. OL is and should be priority 1. Sign two tackles then draft some OL depth. Key is to get type of lineman we need for our offense.

Clifton and Pashos could fit the bill for a year until the draft takes care of the rest. If you have Levi Jones and/or Heyer as backups you might make it through the season without getting Campbell killed. I don't think I'd want to see Levi or Heyer starting on a regular basis again but a game or two against a weaker D-Line might not be so bad.

I think even if you sign 2 tackles. you draft a guy at #4. That's how bad this OL is. They need to think about the next decade. Not just a few years.

Signing both of those guys would be awesome. I would be so fricken happy if we were then able to trade back and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd and draft a RG and OT, at least one of which in the top 2 rounds.

I just asked this question of Clifton, but do both Clifton and Pashos have injury concerns on them after last season? I don't know much about either, but Clifton played 12 games and Pashos played 5.

Not sure about Pashos, but Clifton since his first couple years has been pretty good.

Edit~ Those are the games played each year. Left to right, olders to most recent.

I think even if you sign 2 tackles. you draft a guy at #4. That's how bad this OL is. They need to think about the next decade. Not just a few years.

I don't think you have to draft a tackle at 4. You still can, but its not nearly as urgent.

You can pick up a good tackle in the 2nd round and let him ride the pine and develop throughout the season, kinda like the Giants did with Will Beatty.

The o-line, while not great, will at least be NFL caliber and we can develop some kids behind these vets without having to thrust them in early

These guys are not long term fixes. They will however give us an opportunity to be effective right away and give the kids a chance to learn and mature.

We still need to draft OL at #4.

If The Genius wants the guy, the Redskins must be dumb for not going after ol' Julius after all. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Via Maese...

RT @LarryWeisman: Redskins not chasing Julius Peppers. Asked Bruce Allen if the club called the free agent DE: "No, we didn't."

I just asked this question of Clifton, but do both Clifton and Pashos have injury concerns on them after last season? I don't know much about either, but Clifton played 12 games and Pashos played 5.

Pashos broke his shoulder blade. I assume he will have to get medical clearance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.