• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Yahoo: Clifton to visit Redskins

Jimbo

The Franchise Player
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cliftonvisitingredskins030410&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Source: Clifton to visit Redskins

The Washington Redskins will try to move quickly to fill the void left by the retirement of left tackle Chris Samuels(notes) by having free agent Chad Clifton(notes) visit Friday, an NFL source said.

Clifton is weighing whether to return to Green Bay or sign with a new team after receiving an offer worth approximately $5 million a year from the Packers. Clifton is hoping for somewhere closer to $7 million per season with at least $20 million in the first three years of any deal.

Clifton has played his entire 10-year career with the Packers, who are in danger of losing the two starters from the left side of their line. The Packers put only a second-round tender on restricted free agent guard Daryn Colledge(notes) and he may receive interest from another team, multiple NFL sources said this week.

The Redskins officially lost Samuels to retirement Thursday after he underwent an injury-plagued 2009 season.

---------------

I guess this is a step in the right direction but the guy is 33 years old so it's not exactly long term. I still want a O-Lineman or two in the draft.

If they pick this guy up its going to change the draft order...

Sorry, I wouldn't be interested at all in a 10 year vet wanting 7 mil a year

I agree with all of you. What happened to the 'youth movement'? Replacing Samuels with Clifton actually makes us older.

I agree with all of you. What happened to the 'youth movement'? Replacing Samuels with Clifton actually makes us older.

We are not playing 5 rookies on the o-line next year

Clifton is a stop gap that fills a need, not a long term solution.

Now if you can point me to a 28 year old starting LT that is available, lets do it :)

At this point though, we need all the o-line that can get

Clifton is a short term answer. What Clifton brings is experience in ZB schemes for a LT. My guess is Shanahan would prefer a vet at LT that
can help school a younger guy.

If he impresses the Redskin coaches today he will be signed. Then again feel with this group he can just as easily out price himself and we say no thanks.

We pretty much have to overpay for him because he's about all we have available at this point. Sure he's a stopgap but that's part of the "rebuilding the line this year without getting Campbell killed" process.

As far as Clifton the player, he is still very effective in pass protection and can generally be relied upon when out on the LT island against top talent. His kick step hasn't lost much, however, he has been more prone to penalties the past couple years, indicative of declining athletic ability.

Speaking of that athletic ability, Clifton's run blocking has noticeably declined over the last several seasons as his ability to maintain blocks and get downfield to the second level has all but left him. If Shanny is looking to Clifton to solidify the run game, I'm afraid he'll be sorely disappointed.

Clifton's a solid LT overall and a great guy, but three years and $20 mil? If I'm Thompson, I say adios. I'd hate to see him go, but he's not worth that.

Was Clifton hurt last year? I am not in love with signing over thirty players who are developing an injury history.... again.

From everything I've read, Clifton struggles against top-tier pass rushers. That's good news, considering we face 3 or 4 of them 6 times a year. :facepalm:

Clifton missed 4 total games last year with an ankle injury. He came back after missing two games and re-aggravated the injury, causing him to miss an additional two. Prior to last season, he had missed 2 games in the previous six seasons.

I gotta say, I hoped he would have been satisfactory if we had taken him, but he is 34 and only played 3/4 of last season. Kinda glad he is not signing with us, but I am getting a little nervous since we need O-lineman. Maybe that is just because I am so used to seeing us get whomever we want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.