• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Article:Redskins make lukewarm offer to retain Campbell

authentic

The Rookie
Reaction score
Something to think about regarding the 1st round ONLY tender

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/032010/03042010/532127

Campbell received a qualifying offer at the first-round level worth $3.14 million for one year, according to a league source with knowledge with the situation. If Campbell signs an offer sheet with another team, the Redskins would have seven days to match it. If they choose not to, they'd receive that team's first-round pick as compensation for losing Campbell.

The team did not confirm any of yesterday's moves.

For only $124,750 more, however, the Redskins could have protected Campbell much more securely with a first- and third-round tender.

Although it's unlikely that a team would give up a first-round pick for him, it's almost certain no team would give up first- and third-rounders.

Instead, the Redskins ostensibly are inviting teams to consider signing Campbell, who's the best quarterback on the free agent market.

Campbell did not return a message seeking comment yesterday.

Yesterday's decision was the strongest indication yet of new coach Mike Shanahan's tepid desire to commit to Campbell as the Redskins' long-term solution at quarterback. The Redskins still could trade him before the season.

"I have big admiration for Jason and how he's handled himself through some very tough situations with a beat-up offensive line and the way he handled himself as a quarterback," Shanahan said the at NFL Scouting Combine last week.

Cornerback Carlos Rogers received a first-round tender, according to an ESPN report. It's worth $1,542,750 over one year, according to guidelines established in the collective bargaining agreement.

You know, if I were Campbell, I'd PAY to leave this team. It's been obvisus for more than a year that either the danny just plain doesn't like him, or the team wants to move in another direction

I'm no Campbell fan, because I think he's as good as he'll ever get. But you know what? He manned up and shut up last year and took a beating trying to win.

I thnk that alone deserves a little better treatment than the danny is giving him

You know, if I were Campbell, I'd PAY to leave this team. It's been obvisus for more than a year that either the danny just plain doesn't like him, or the team wants to move in another direction

I'm no Campbell fan, because I think he's as good as he'll ever get. But you know what? He manned up and shut up last year and took a beating trying to win.

I thnk that alone deserves a little better treatment than the danny is giving him

I did think they treated him badly last off season. But, i think this truely Shanny and Allens call. And to be fair to them, they have the right to seek a deal for JC if possible. Shanny and the staff have been watching film for the better part of 6-7 weeks and if they have determined that JC is not the guy, then i will give them the benefit of the doubt that they will do the right thing.

You're probably right but honestly, just who plays QB if he leaves? Face it, we have virtually nothing behind him

Last edited by a moderator:
You're probably right but honestly, just who plays QB if he leaves? Face, we have virtually nothing behind him

Thats the million dollar question. Truth be told, there aren't any QBs in FA better than JC.

Thats the million dollar question. Truth be told, there aren't any QBs in FA better than JC.

Well, with one year under his belt in this system, would you guys favor bringing in Rex Grossman? I know Grossman is not the franchise QB we want, but Kyle Shanahan is familiar with him enough to know if he is worth bringing in.

What about David Carr? He is only 29 and under the right system, he could excel. Or do you believe he is too shell shocked from the pounding he took when thrown to the wolves in Houston?

Maybe Kyle Orton? Honestly, I think none of these situations are really that enticing to me.

Is that 1st round tender negotiable, or is it basically set in stone? What if the Rams decide to take Suh with the #1 overall, but offered us their 2nd rounder (33rd overall) for Campbell? I think I'd be cool with that.

Then let Colt Brennan compete with whoever Shanahan decides to draft, and over the next two or three years, rebuild that o-line and complete the transition to a 3-4, we might be in good shape by 2012.

Well, with one year under his belt in this system, would you guys favor bringing in Rex Grossman? I know Grossman is not the franchise QB we want, but Kyle Shanahan is familiar with him enough to know if he is worth bringing in.

What about David Carr? He is only 29 and under the right system, he could excel. Or do you believe he is too shell shocked from the pounding he took when thrown to the wolves in Houston?

Quick answer: I would MUCH rather keep JC than either one of those guys.

in my view, there isn't a single franchise QB in the draft this year, and no QB available via FA who would be better.

Grossman blows. I have a friend that is a Chicago fan and they cuss his name regularly.

Carr is probably the modern day version of Patrick Ramsey. Blitzed every down of football for four years with no supporting cast. He's probably ruined unless he goes somewhere with a line like Minn

in my view, there isn't a single franchise QB in the draft this year, and no QB available via FA who would be better.

All the more reason to take our forth and see who wants it, trade down and get some linemen to come to town

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Patrick Ramsey back here as a backup. Campbell's tender was low to see what or if anyone would offer. If he's here for one more year we saved some cash.

David Carr is a guy we might want to look at. Seriously.

As for Campbell I think Riggins44 got it right: If someone is willing to give us a 1st round pick for him we're fine with that. No need scaring teams away by tendering him at the higher rate. Everyone knows that offer will never come anyway. I'd move him for a first round pick at this point even though he's shown some flashes.

Why spend more money than is needed to keep him? It's just business and it's smart, feelings be damned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.