• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Caps very active at the deadline

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date

Lanky Livingston

As some of you may know, the NHL trade deadline was today. The Caps were very active at the deadline, making the following moves:

Joe Corvo acquired from Carolina for 2011 2nd, Brian Pothier and prospect Oskar Osala
Scott Walker acquired from Carolina for a 7th
Milan Jurcina (re)acquired from Columbus for a 6th
Eric Belanger acquired from Minnesota for a 2nd

I don't know enough about the rest of the league to know how good all these moves were, but a lot of media outlets are calling the Caps the #1 winners today, so there's that. Thoughts?

I just don't understand the Walker move. Did we really need a 37 year old RW right now? Maybe because he will be good for forchecking and can be pretty agressive. Maybe I answered my own question here.

Also, Belanger is about to be a free agent. Do they plan on re-signing him? I hope they did not give up a second rounder for a little help in the playoffs.

Seems like they gave up a lot for Corvo also, but the more I think about this move the more I like it. But, I think his contract is up as well. As long as he doesn't need to punch any more women, I guess he's fine.

All and all, I think they did good by adding more depth and they are a little more agressive, something that hurts the Caps. The Caps of recent remind me of an air it out football team like the Colts, as opposed to a smashmouth football team like the steelers. They really needed to add the toughness.

Walker adds grit and what I like to call "crashability," someone who will just crash the net. Walker also brings an enforcer presence to the Caps, something we haven't had this year.

Belanger is a one-year rental, unless he decides to re-sign with us. He should put up some very nice numbers in Boudreau's system (I mean, who wouldn't, lets be honest), so maybe he'll want to stick around and put up more good numbers. And we needed a third-line center, its been a weakness all year. Belanger is also a fantastic penalty-killer, something that's also been a weakness for the Caps.

Corvo is the only move I'm not so sure about...I like that he brings a strong defensive presence as well as a monster slapper from the point, but I think we gave up too much. Pothier has been one of our more consistent Dmen this season. Corvo will have to play VERY solid to make up for his loss. Although, I've heard that Corvo will fit great into our system also, so I guess we'll see.

The move I hate is bringing back Jurcina. I heard this was just a fail-safe, if a deal for another DMan went through. I think we were looking at Kaberle and Hamhuis, neither of which ended up getting traded.

At the end of the year, I think we're gonna look back at this season and see that Chimera was the best move by far.

Well, if Belanger re-signs then it is a good move. I believe he is in the top 10 in faceoff % (not sure though). If so, that would be great for PP and PK.

I like the Jurcina move. It gives us another big guy on defense.

Belanger is 6th or 7th in faceoff %, I forget which.

Two goals for Walker, District Ranger in his Capitals debut. This guy isn't so bad!

Yeah, the new guys are making their presence felt. I like it. Maybe GMGM knows more than we do :)

Belanger scored on Saturday, an absolutely beautiful goal and beautiful pass from Laich. I really like him on the second line with Laich and Semin - and B-Mo hasn't been playing well as of late. Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble along with Laich - Belanger - Semin may be the best two lines in hockey right now. I'm really pumped for this playoff run!

Game highlights: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20092010,2,958 (click link on the right to go directly to the Belanger goal)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.