• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

If you had to pick one, which free agent do you bring to D.C.?

If you had to pick one, which free agent do you bring to D.C.?

• Julius Peppers

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • LaDainian Tomlinson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Jones

• Terrell Owens

• Antrel Rolle (assuming he's let go)

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Brian Westbrook

• Darren Sproles

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Antonio Pierce

• Other

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Nobody.

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Aston Gambino

With March 5th fast approaching, it's not hard to find a headline connecting us with some big name free agent, despite the fact that management has changed.

The uncapped year is making free agents tougher to acquire, however, as most players who would have been unrestricted free agents are now restricted, leading more intense bidding and ultimately higher price tags.

So if you're Bruce Allen, and you're tasked to bring in one (and only one) free agent this off season, who do you go with?

Rolle - he will fills a need at FS right away which allows for Landry to move back to SS right away. It is nearly like getting 2 guys for the price of one. He is also a bit younger than most of the rest of the list so there should be more tread left and as a Safety he will be less expensive than an edge rusher like Peppers.

The only other possibility on that list is Sproles because he would be the true change of pace back we have been missing on offense and could be used on returns as well.

I went with Sproles but I'm torn between him and Rolle. As Neo said, Rolle almost fills two spots but then again, so does Sproles. I think Shanahan would have him earn his money as BOTH a return man and 3rd down/change-of-pace back.

As a former corner, Rolle gives you the luxury of having a FS with plenty of speed to cover and the ability to move Laron back to SS, although I'm not 100% sure that would totally be a good thing at this point.

I also wouldn't be too disappointed if we ended up with Peppers.

Rolle - he will fills a need at FS right away which allows for Landry to move back to SS right away. It is nearly like getting 2 guys for the price of one. He is also a bit younger than most of the rest of the list so there should be more tread left and as a Safety he will be less expensive than an edge rusher like Peppers.

The only other possibility on that list is Sproles because he would be the true change of pace back we have been missing on offense and could be used on returns as well.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't think I'd give Sproles big money though. A change of pace guy like that isn't too hard to find if we were looking. They just don't have much of a shelf life as a rule.

I don't think I'd give Sproles big money though. A change of pace guy like that isn't too hard to find if we were looking. They just don't have much of a shelf life as a rule.

Yeah, that is sort of my thinking too. Especially in a year that the draft is supposed to deep at the RB position. That, of course, assumes Shanahan isn't already sold on bringing Aldridge back too since he was reported to be so high on the guy.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Guys like Sproles aren't exactly a dime a dozen. Other than Leon Washington and Josh Cribbs, I can't think of anyone else who returns punts, kickoffs and fills the 3rd down/change of pace back role as well.

I agree with you about the money but I think Sproles will likely go to the highest bidder. The one thing that could happen, though, would be that a bulk of the money will be paid up front in an uncapped year to reduce the cap hit once the CBA comes back into play. Not sure about what a player's incentive would be beyond this year though, if that were to happen. With a lockout possible in 2011, you may be renting older players for no more than a year anyway.

I think the Skins WILL be players in FA but I'm just not sure to what extent.

We've got a good kick returner in Thomas. I think we'll see him used a lot more this year. As far as Rolle is concerned, he's gonna get way too much money for being an okay player. I'd rather continue to develop Moore, and see what we've got there.

EDIT: I voted nobody. I want to see this team focus on the draft for once.

We've got a good kick returner in Thomas. I think we'll see him used a lot more this year. As far as Rolle is concerned, he's gonna get way too much money for being an okay player. I'd rather continue to develop Moore, and see what we've got there.

EDIT: I voted nobody. I want to see this team focus on the draft for once.

I think Thomas did a decent job on kickoffs, but don't you think with the potential he showed during the season he would be most valuable as a #2 receiver?

And I gotta believe Rolle would be a wise signing in light of the need. As long as we don't over spend, I am all for FA acquisitions.

I also think Dunta Robinson would be a good signing if we can get him at a decent rate.

I must admit, the likelihood of signing either of these two players for minimal cost is unlikely, but it would be nice to have either of them in a Redskins' uniform.

Last edited:
Since the team only has 5 picks (For now :) ) and Bruce informed us that we would be aggressive in FA, you will see one of these guys in a Skins Uni.

I think Thomas did a decent job on kickoffs, but don't you think with the potential he showed during the season he would be most valuable as a #2 receiver?

Look across the league - many teams have kick and punt returners who also have another prominent role on the team.

And I gotta believe Rolle would be a wise signing in light of the need. As long as we don't over spend, I am all for FA acquisitions

I guess I don't understand the Rolle hype. He was drafted as a corner, and moved to safety cause he wasn't fast enough. He's played adequately at FS, but its not like he's worlds above Landry. In fact, the Cardinals were 23rd in the league in pass-defense - not exactly a powerhouse unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the team only has 5 picks (For now :) ) and Bruce informed us that we would be aggressive in FA, you will see one of these guys in a Skins Uni.

If I had to pick one, I'd like to see Thomas Jones brought in. He's a solid, workhorse back who has done nothing but produced the past 3-4 years. I wonder how much tread is left on the tires at this point though.

I guess I don't understand the Rolle hype. He was drafted as a corner, and moved to safety cause he wasn't fast enough. He's played adequately at FS, but its not like he's worlds above Landry. In fact, the Cardinals were 23rd in the league in pass-defense - not exactly a powerhouse unit.

The Cards may not be a powerhouse unit but Rolle is playing FS well. He had more INTs this last year than Landry does for his career and he has more defensive TDs since 2007 than our entire defense does (5 for Rolle, 0 for the Redskins). I'm not saying he is an all world FS like Taylor was but he is a clear upgrade over Landry at the position and will let Landry get back to being Landry.

At 27, he should have plenty of gas in the tank and while he will be more expensive than anything but a first round draft pick, he won't be outrageously priced either.

The trick is whether or not he gets released. He only has 5 years of service which will make him a Restricted FA this year if AZ tenders him. I would not give up any picks to sign the guy.

Guys like Sproles aren't exactly a dime a dozen. Other than Leon Washington and Josh Cribbs, I can't think of anyone else who returns punts, kickoffs and fills the 3rd down/change of pace back role as well.

I don't disagree, I just wouldn't open my wallet for one of those guys. We tried to get a guy like that in ARE and it didn't work out. Hester was phenomenal a few years ago but so-so last season. How can you place a value on what he does? He's not a good receiver really, neither is Cribbs. Sproles is a better player but probably not an every down back. They have value and they are entertaining but not at what they are likely to cost.

I think if the team would put some effort into looking for a player like that we could find them. Most guys like that shine brightly for a year or two then fade away.

I don't disagree, I just wouldn't open my wallet for one of those guys. We tried to get a guy like that in ARE and it didn't work out. Hester was phenomenal a few years ago but so-so last season. How can you place a value on what he does? He's not a good receiver really, neither is Cribbs. Sproles is a better player but probably not an every down back. They have value and they are entertaining but not at what they are likely to cost.

I think if the team would put some effort into looking for a player like that we could find them. Most guys like that shine brightly for a year or two then fade away.

Agreed. I would be hesitant to give a player who is largely unproven as anything more than a 3rd down, change of pace back a large contract. And yet, I have a feeling someone will overpay for him, based off the success Turner has had in Atlanta. Given how everyone seems to be raving over the RBs in this draft, I hope we go that route rather than overpay for Sproles.

I picked other for Dansby, however i wouldn't mind Dansby and Sproles.

I picked Sproles, but with the contract I'd assume he would want, you'd have to run him alot (ie he's be your #1 back) which doesn't fit what he does.

I totally agree with getting Rolle. There a lot of people even Skins fans that think that Landry sucks. He doesn't... he has just been playing out of position for two years now.

Has Chester Taylor got a deal done with the Vikings? I think I would rather have him than any RB mentioned in the poll.

Last edited:
I picked other for Dansby, however i wouldn't mind Dansby and Sproles.

Ooh, I forgot about Dansby. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the strong side opposite Rocky. He'd bring the fire and intensity back to the D we've been missing since Marcus left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.