• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Bruce Campbell is this year's workout warrior

@DCGoldPants

The Rookie
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/27/bruce-campbell-is-this-years-workout-warrior/

Bruce Campbell is this year's workout warrior
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 27, 2010 10:33 AM ET
The scouting combine workouts have begun, and the most impressive performance in shorts and a T-shirt so far belongs to Maryland offensive tackle Bruce Campbell.

We already noted that Campbell put up 34 reps in the bench press, but that was nothing compared to what Campbell did in the 40-yard dash, where he finished in a sensational 4.78 seconds, an absolutely amazing time for a 314-pounder.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus says it's the fastest 40 ever for an offensive lineman. The average 40-yard dash for an offensive tackle at last year's combine was 5.3 seconds.

Campbell is generally regarded as a first-round pick, and his combine has obviously helped his draft status. But NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock did pour a little bit of cold water on Campbell, saying that when viewed on film, Campbell doesn't look as impressive as he does in the weight room and on the track.

"If there's a star so far in the combine, it's him," Mayock said of Campbell. "What he's going to have to overcome is the tape."

UPDATE: Campbell's official time was 4.85 seconds. In the past, fast 40 times haven't meant much for offensive linemen.

I won't hide it...I am a UMD grad, and I'm not saying that now we need to take him because he helps the OL.

What I will say is....another OL in the 1st round is good if the Skins can make something happen with moving down. It gives options.

Either way, good for him.

Campbell is generally regarded as a first-round pick, and his combine has obviously helped his draft status. But NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock did pour a little bit of cold water on Campbell, saying that when viewed on film, Campbell doesn't look as impressive as he does in the weight room and on the track.

Which is fair, and you have to do your tape study. But, what if he falls to the early 2nd and you already took an OL, do you take another? I'd hope so. What if he jumps up and pushed another OL into the 2nd....that's cool too.

Jansen was dogged about questions regarding his athletic ability when he left Michigan but he was a really solid #2 pick for the Redskins for many years before injuries took their toll.

The truth of the matter is that half the tackles that are being touted are destined to be RIGHT tackles in the NFL, not left tackles.

While the value of left tackles is at a premium, the fact the Redskins don't have either side solidified at this point should not prevent them from dipping into this deep class of talent.

I think you could start Campbell as a RT in the Shanahan system with no problems.

So, Okung starts at LT and Campbell at RT.....then if Okung gets injured, you have a temp. replacement who probably won't get your QB killed.

I haven't watched much of the combine in years, if ever. Due to a late night of drinking Friday, I was a complete slug yesterday and watched most of it. Campbell was indeed very impressive, perhaps too impressive. His low body fat % and injuries really make me wonder about his use of roids. Add to that an interview in which he came across as something less than the sharpest knife in the box and I'd have to say "pass". Well, in the first anyway. If he somehow fell to our 2nd rounder he'd be a great boom or bust risk at that point.

The guy I absolutely loved though was the G out of A. State, I think his name is Lauvao. I haven't had a chance to look up his game tape but at the combine his footwork and measurables looked quite good. Additionally he's played both G spots and L OT. Guys like him that will be available in the late 2nd early third make a really strong case for trading down with one of our first two picks.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Thanks for the link W.D. However, it looks like I might have been a bit premature in my assessment.

From the ESPN PAC-10 blog post about the Senior Bowl...
Arizona State G Shawn Lauvao -- It was an underwhelming day for Lauvao, who was slow out of his stance and lacks core strength at the point of attack. He catches defenders and needs to be more aggressive because he lacks the upper-body strength to be effective. Arkansas State DL Alex Carrington absolutely ran Lauvao over on a twist during drills. Lauvao looks like a late-round pick at this point.

That's an interesting take. Lauvao is probably one of the strongest guys on the field but weight room work sometimes doesn't translate to the field.

Oh well, the good news is that he'll probably still be around on the second day and could be a solid developmental prospect. Of course it seems like there are a lot of guys like that on the OL in this year's draft.

funny thing is that I remember watching him during drills and thought he was pretty good, especially during the mirror drill........

oh well. maybe a late rounder or a UDFA, we can use some depth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.