• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Promote Kyle Smith to Vice President of Player Personnel

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
January 13, 2020

REDSKINS PROMOTE KYLE SMITH TO VICE PRESIDENT OF PLAYER PERSONNEL

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have promoted Kyle Smith to the role of vice president of player personnel.

“Kyle Smith has put in the work over the last 10 seasons and has proven to be a skilled talent evaluator,” said Washington Redskins Owner Dan Snyder.

“I have been impressed with Kyle's track record and player evaluation process, and I'm confident in the vision we share for the future of the Washington Redskins,” said Washington Redskins Head Coach Ron Rivera.

“I am excited for the opportunity to oversee both the college and professional sides of the scouting department,” said Vice President of Player Personnel Kyle Smith. “Our staff is looking forward to working together with Coach Rivera to build the best team possible.”

In his new role, Smith will now oversee both the college and pro personnel aspects of the front office. Smith has worked in player personnel with the Redskins for 10 seasons and spent three seasons as the team's director of college personnel.

Smith initially joined the team on a full-time basis as an area scout during the 2011 offseason. After being promoted to director of college personnel in June 2017, Smith oversaw the organization's evaluation of collegiate talent, managing scouting efforts at both the area and national levels.

Smith began his professional career as an intern with the Redskins in 2010. He joined the team on a full-time basis in 2011 and spent six seasons as an area scout for the organization. Prior to his promotion to director of college personnel, Smith oversaw the team's scouting efforts in the Southeast region, a region that produced the team's first- and second-round picks in both the 2017 and 2018 NFL Drafts.

-REDSKINS-

The dude can evaluate talent. Even if Snyder was involved in the 1st round picks (that was reported) he found A LOT of talent in the later rounds over the last 2 years....

Awesome. The one guy I was hoping they keep.

From all accounts, he's a football lifer...eats,drinks,sleeps the game and is one of the sharpest evaluators we've had around in awhile.

Not sure what will be left to do for any GM they may hire.

Glad to hear we promoted from within.

I'm thinking everyone is watching how he handles this offseason before they officially name him GM.

Very happy with this, wanted Smith as our GM, having him lead both the draft and free agency will pay dividends I think.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not sure what will be left to do for any GM they may hire.

I would bet that this is a stepping stone to him ultimately becoming the GM. I mentioned a few weeks ago that I figured he was going to have a 6 month audition and we will see how we fare in Free Agency and the Draft. I still think this is the case, and thinking about it, this title is to make him the top voice in the room regarding player talent evaluation. If we hit, I can see him getting the title of GM by next off season. It's also entirely possible that someone called and starting asking about him so we had to promote him to protect him.

Everyone was worried about Schaffer and O'Connell leaving.

We don't need them.

They didn't keep Hilliard. Hostler is the WRs coach.

O'Connell has not proven anything more in the NFL than Scott Turner at this point.

He somehow gets credit for being a 36 year old 'boy wonder' but what has he really done?

He was the backup quarterback in New England for a season or two in 2006 and 2007.

That's as close to greatness (ie Belichick) as he has gotten.

Any more than we needed Turner and the other Panther cast-offs.

I am very happy we kept Hilliard.

They didn't keep Hilliard. Hostler is the WRs coach.

Boone, you already knew that FS62 has been big-time bummed about the Skins situation, so couldn't you at least let him keep believing that tale in his mind, that Hilliard was still around, just to keep him from even sinking deeper ?

Boone, you already knew that FS62 has been big-time bummed about the Skins situation, so couldn't you at least let him keep believing that tale in his mind, that Hilliard was still around, just to keep him from even sinking deeper ?

No... but I do hear Chris Cooley is in the running to be our next GM!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I missed the part where Hilliard developed receivers at a level to be lauded by fans and the incoming coach 😯

In fact his name has been mentioned more in the past week with his release than it was in the past several years on the job.

Brian Mitchell said McLaurin looked like a starter in camp as a rookie so let's not pretend Ike worked with him and developed him.

I missed the part where Hilliard developed receivers at a level to be lauded by fans and the incoming coach 😯

In fact his name has been mentioned more in the past week with his release than it was in the past several years on the job.

Brian Mitchell said McLaurin looked like a starter in camp as a rookie so let's not pretend Ike worked with him and developed him.

I think that's a little unfair. None of us really knows because we're not there on the practice field. But 3 young WRs certainly looked pretty good - even compared with supposed vets we've had over numerous previous years and sketchy QB play. Quite possible he did a great job but that Rivera wanted someone he was more familiar with.

I think that's a little unfair. None of us really knows because we're not there on the practice field. But 3 young WRs certainly looked pretty good - even compared with supposed vets we've had over numerous previous years and sketchy QB play. Quite possible he did a great job but that Rivera wanted someone he was more familiar with.

Exactly. And I paid attention to some of the reporters toward the end of the season and after. Amidst all the cehst-beatng and change, I did hear good things, the right things being said about Hilliard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.