• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2020

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

I'm not usually a big fan of ‘position change' suggestions, but I think they should ask Cam Sims to beef up and try him at TE. He's 6'5” and 220 lbs now. Add 20-25 lbs and he could be a force as athletic as he is. I don't feel like he's going to break o to the top 3 at WR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

I'm not usually a big fan of ‘position change' suggestions, but I think they should ask Cam Sims to beef up and try him at TE. He's 6'5” and 220 lbs now. Add 20-25 lbs and he could be a force as athletic as he is. I don't feel like he's going to break o to the top 3 at WR.

Reed was a converted WR, what it's worth.

Austin Hooper would be a decent TE if it doesn't cost a king's ransom.
For CB, Fuller is also a FA now.

The coaching staff entry on the first page has been updated. The staff is now complete. I will update front office changes when that occurs and let everyone know.

Later today, I will be posting more interview updates from the East-West Shrine game as info becomes available. The first prospects list of the offseason will be posted on Monday.

‘See that mountain? I'll bet I can run right through that thing...'

If we could sign FA Dante Fowler, coming off a career year, maybe we wouldn't need to spend our #2 on Young, and could trade down for more picks.

Also think we should go after Safety Anthony Harris, as the Vikes probably don't have enough cash to pay him.

Last edited:

Fowler is another guy that underwent major knee surgery early in his career and missed his entire first year.

If we are going to target a pass rusher I prefer that we stay at #2 and take the best player, Chase Young.

QB, OT and pass rusher are the positions that tend to cost the most in free agency, if you can take these players in the draft and have them on cheap rookie deals for 4-5 years in my mind you need to do it.

BurnersBurning.php.png

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2020

Greetings from BBQ to everyone here at BGO. We hope your week has been a good one. Hello to everyone on social media. We'd love to have you as a member here and become part of the family. You are our honored guests, so sit back and enjoy.

The 2020 NFL draft is just over three months away, but it will be here before you know it. It's a bit early in the process, but we do have a few ideas about what the team needs in late April. The process of team building never ends and BBQ is about to take a look at what could happen later this spring.

Today, we bring you the second mock of the 2020 offseason and it features trades. The mocks will vary throughout the offseason and we will add/subtract players to/from the list as any relevant information becomes available. The Redskins currently have picks in rounds one, three, four, five, and seven. They also have a compensatory pick in the fourth round and an extra seventh round pick via a trade.

Will BBQ match or surpass the success that it had with the 2019 mocks? It will be difficult and very challenging, but it is a task that we embrace. With that kind of success, we truly believe it helps the members of BGO to focus on the players who are prospects that the Redskins are seeking. It feels good to provide everyone here with the kind of service you expect from BBQ. Ok, enough of the self-aggrandizing. It is time to look at the prospects!

We will feature a mock each week and the number of mocks will increase as we get closer to the draft.

Without any further delays, let's take our latest look at the 2020 draft with this mock.

Upcoming Dates
- Days until the Senior Bowl: 8
- Days until the NFL Combine: 38
- Days until the opening of Free Agency: 61
- Days until the 2020 NFL Draft: 97
- Days until the Redskins season opener: 237

Pre-Draft: Trade
The Redskins trade DE Jon Allen for a late first round selection. The Redskins trade OLB/DE Ryan Kerrigan for a fifth round selection. They also trade Josh Harvey-Clemons for a seventh round selection.

Round One: Chase Young, Edge/DE, Ohio St. – 6'5, 265
Arguably the best overall player in the draft is there for the taking and the Redskins turn in the card. Young is the next great pass rusher in a program that has produced some incredible talent at the edge position in recent years. The impact would be immediate. A quarterback's nightmare. Excellent run defender. Perfectly tailored for a 4-3 defense.
Other Possible Picks:
Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama
Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa
Grant Delpit, FS, Louisiana St.
Tyler Biadasz, OG, Wisconsin
Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio St.
A.J. Epenesa, Edge, Iowa
Creed Humphrey, OG, Alabama

Trade
The Redskins trade this pick (acquired via trade in the offseason) and add a second round selection and another one in the third round.

Round Two: Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue – 6'5”, 245
Hopkins is an excellent receiver and can run any route you assign to him. Decent hands, but does need to secure the ball quickly after a catch. Needs to add about ten pounds of muscle to his frame. Decent blocker on sweeps, screens and downfield passes, but not in short yardage situations. Upside is very good.
Other Possible Picks:
Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville
Justin Jefferson, WR, Louisiana St.
Curtis Weaver, Edge, Boise St.
Austin Jackson, OT, Southern California
Yetur Gross-Matos, Edge, Pennsylvania St.
Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota
Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah

Round Three: Josh Jones, OT, Houston – 6'7”, 310
Jones is an experienced offensive lineman and could possibly start from day one at right tackle, but likely needs a few games before sliding into the lineup. Highly underrated. Very durable. Rarely makes mental mistakes. Disciplined. Could use an extra fifteen or twenty pounds of bulk and muscle to his long frame. Superb pulling skills. Good run blocking skills, but needs some improvement in pass protection.
Other Possible Picks:
Trey Adams, OT, Washington
Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi St.
Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame
Monty Rice, ILB, Georgia
Netane Muti, OG, Fresno St.

Round Three: Jared Pinkney, TE, Vanderbilt – 6'4”, 260
Very reliable pass catcher over the middle and in tight spaces. Linebackers and strong safeties have difficulties against him. Doesn't produce many yards after catch (YAC), but does move the chains as needed. Pinkney will need to refine his blocking skills.

Round Four: Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor – 6'3”, 215
Denzel Mims is a superb pass receiver and can run all of the tree routes effectively. Elite speed. Solid on yards after catch. He will need to become a better downfield blocker in various rushing schemes, screens, and longer pass routes.
Other Possible Picks:
Lloyd Cushenberry, OG, Louisiana St.
K.J. Hill, WR, Ohio St.
Logan Stenberg, OG, Kentucky
Lamar Jackson, CB, Nebraska
Colby Parkinson, TE, Stanford

Round Four, Comp Pick: Solomon Kindley, OG, Georgia – 6'4”, 335
Highly underrated guard – the tackle next to him garners more attention (Andrew Thomas), but Kindley is much better than advertised. Superb athleticism in the ground attack and a better than average pass protector, but the latter could use some improvement. A reduction of his weight by ten pounds while maintaining muscle mass could help.

Round Five: Justin Strnad, OLB, Wake Forest – 6'3”, 235
Can lightning strike twice? The Redskins snatched an underrated linebacker in the fifth round of the 2019 draft (Cole Holcomb). It could happen again. Strnad is very underrated. A true tackling machine. A solid 4-3 OLB. Good speed. Smart player. Solid in coverage against tight ends and running backs on short routes and screens.
Other Possible Picks:
Jacob Breeland, TE, Oregon
A.J. Dillon, RB, Boston College
Cheyenne O'Grady, TE, Arkansas
Tipa Galea'i, Edge, Utah
Charles Snowden, OLB/Edge, Virginia
Jacob Phillips, ILB, Louisiana St.

Round Five: Reggie Floyd, FS, Virginia Tech – 6'0”, 220
Ideal size for a free safety. Superb in deep coverage with above average speed and decent ball hawking skills. He can cover wide areas of the field or cheat up in short passing downs and against the run. Can take a poor angle occasionally and needs to process such plays much better as they unfold.

Round Six: Possible Prospects
The Redskins lack a sixth round selection, but here is a list of players they could target if they are able to acquire a pick in this round.
Other Possible Picks:
Antonio Gibson, RB, Memphis
Mitchell Wilcox, TE, South Florida
Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty
Steven Montez, QB, Colorado
Patrick Queen, ILB, Louisiana St.
K'Von Wallace, SS/FS, Clemson
Cole Van Lanen, OT, Wisconsin
LaMical Perine, RB, Florida

Round Seven: Bryce Perkins, QB, Virginia – 6'3”, 215
Bryce Perkins will probably never be a starter in the NFL, but his role could be a “Taysom Hill” situation at the next level. He has superb rushing skills. His athleticism would allow him to shine on special teams and occasionally line up at tight end, wide receiver, and at quarterback where he could sling the ball or pick up key yardage on designed rushes. Interesting note: Taysom Hill's head coach at BYU was Bronco Mendenhall, the current Virginia head coach.
Other Possible Picks:
Cameron Brown, ILB, Pennsylvania St.
Kyle Dugger, SS/FS, Lenoir-Rhyne
Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton
Brian Lewerke, QB, Michigan St.
LaBryan Ray, DT, Alabama
Patrick Taylor, RB, Memphis

Round Seven: James Proche, WR, SMU – 6'0”, 195
Proche has an uncanny ability to make spectacular catches, including one handed gems. It's as if he has super glue on his hands permanently. Not the fastest player and has trouble getting separation from defenders. Limited skillsets. Needs to work on blocking skills.

Round Seven: Naquan Jones, DT, Michigan St. – 6'4”, 325
His reps were somewhat limited at Michigan St. because there were several DTs ahead of him on the depth chart. When Jones did see the field, he was an absolute beast. Very strong. Plays with a mean streak. Ideal¬ size for a DT. Very disruptive against the rushing offense. He is a bit slow and will need to work on conditioning at the next level.

Undrafted Free Agent Prospects
This list will continue to evolve and change in the coming weeks as the Redskins meet with many players who will not be drafted.
Gage Cervenka, OG, Clemson
Rico Dowdle, RB, South Carolina
Mohamed Barry, ILB, Nebraska
Jeremiah Dinson, FS, Auburn
Shea Patterson, QB, Michigan
John Penisini, DT, Utah
Robert Hunt, OG, Louisiana-Lafayette
John Hightower, WR, Boise St.
Riley Neal, QB, Vanderbilt
Cameron Clark, OT, North Carolina-Charlotte
Keith Washington, CB, West Virginia
Kelly Bryant, QB, Missouri
Jordan Glasgow, ILB/SS, Michigan
Jabril Cox, ILB, North Dakota St.

Additional Notes
The fourth round comp pick comes from the deal that sent Jamison Crowder to the Jets. All other possible comp picks have been canceled out.

Mocks in January look much different than mocks in the spring. Free agency could change some of the targets that we see in current mocks. For now, we can only speculate based on current team needs and pertinent information.

There is your second mock of the 2020 offseason. We will have another mock next Friday. The mocks will continue to be posted this winter and early spring, then the volume of mocks will increase as we get closer to the draft.

Last edited:

I like the accent here on size on the OL and at FS.

I also like the idea of keeping that #2 overall pick.

We really need a face of the franchise on that side of the ball and Young is one of the highest rated defensive players in the last 10 years.

BB - is the idea that Allen might be expendable based on a move to a 4-3? I understand your point about the new regime not being wed to current talent, but why on Earth would they move a guy as talented as Allen?

BB - is the idea that Allen might be expendable based on a move to a 4-3? I understand your point about the new regime not being wed to current talent, but why on Earth would they move a guy as talented as Allen?

That's part of it. It could be Ioannidis. Heck, maybe they move Reuben Foster. Big Trent. Derrius Guice. When regime change occurs, especially like the magnitude that we've seen thus far, anything can happen when free agency begins and in the draft.

BB, why wouldn't they move Settle before Allen? I know Allen has more trade value. Should be an interesting off-season.

BB, why wouldn't they move Settle before Allen? I know Allen has more trade value. Should be an interesting off-season.

Settle has a lot of upside and has lost some weight - he needed to do that. Cheaper contract as well. Allen will be eligible for a new contract in 2021 and his demand could be pricey.

But resigning your best talents is sort of critical to long-term success, isn't it? Particularly when he's a solid citizen and in his prime and a team leader. It's fun to speculate but I would be stunned if they traded a guy like Allen at this stage in his career. He's one of the few players I'd have no problem with them breaking the bank for. Send Scherff's ass packing for a pick or two if you need cap space.

We need to do what Lynch did with 49ers and build from inside out.

But resigning your best talents is sort of critical to long-term success, isn't it? Particularly when he's a solid citizen and in his prime and a team leader. It's fun to speculate but I would be stunned if they traded a guy like Allen at this stage in his career. He's one of the few players I'd have no problem with them breaking the bank for. Send Scherff's ass packing for a pick or two if you need cap space.

Excellent points. I have put Scherff out there as a player who could be traded in recent mocks. That could happen. Just be sure to see what the mocks look like in April. In the meantime, speculation is rampant and all over the place. Free agency will provide some answers. Pre-draft meetings, visits, workouts, and interviews could provide more answers. Stay tuned.

I like the emphasis on 2 good TE's in the draft, especially since most of Norvell Turner's success with his offenses have depended on good TE's...I would think the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. However, I wonder where our trade would occur in relation to Dallas' 2nd round pick. They are just as desperate for TE help as we are so we'd have to trade with a team who picks before they do.

I just want to see us regain a 2nd pick and if the best TE is available, I think it's a no brainer for us.

BB...you analyzed Rivera's (2011-2019)/Panther's picks during his tenure? I took a quick look at the first rounders: defense heavy.

five of nine were defense (assuming he influenced the 2011 draft)
two WRs, one RB
one QB in 2011

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.