• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Name Jack Del Rio as Defensive Coordinator

You don't think we are more likely to see Allen as a DT along with Payne and Ioaniddis?

I do, but he is capable of playing the 4-3 DE too. In fact, some suggest Payne could too if called upon, with his quickness of the LOS. But I was wondering if Allen would need to lose weight if he did play more on the edge.

Kerrigan played the 4-3 in college and I would not be surprised to see Rivera keep him during this transitional year for his leadership despite fans expecting to see him go.

Unless somebody offers us a #2 pick or something we don't expect, I think Rivera values #91 over a middle pick.

Kerrigan played the 4-3 in college and I would not be surprised to see Rivera keep him during this transitional year for his leadership despite fans expecting to see him go.

Unless somebody offers us a #2 pick or something we don't expect, I think Rivera values #91 over a middle pick.

Does this go back to the coach having the "one" voice ?
Or is it possible we could hire a GM who decides to do certain "GM Duties" which usually include financial restructuring, by getting rid of certain players to lower the cap ?

I don't think a Morocco Brown comes in here after being hired and interviewed by Rivera and then goes out and cuts or trades players Rivera wants to keep.

Maybe once they establish a firm relationship you might see Rivera go with a GM on a move like that but not in Year 1.

Rivera is trying to establish HIS football operation and put his stamp on the product out of the gate.

I agree.

I actually think we see an uptick in Kerrigan, and fast, if we move him to 4-3 DE. This year i saw him win by using a bull rush with more power than i can remember seeing from him. If we can stop asking him to drop back in zone, he can still have value.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I remember right before Wade Phillips signed with LA, that @Elephant really really wanted him.
Now he's available again - now, obviously, we're not going to get him. But I'm curious how you feel about JDR, as opposed to Phillips, and how much of a drop-off you think it is

I remember right before Wade Phillips signed with LA, that @Elephant really really wanted him.
Now he's available again - now, obviously, we're not going to get him. But I'm curious how you feel about JDR, as opposed to Phillips, and how much of a drop-off you think it is

I think the game has finally passed Wade by...I think the best hire we've made is Jack Del Rio for DC. I like that better than Rivera with so much control.

Hiring Rivera looks even better now with McCarthy going to Dallas.

I was afraid at first the Redskins were going to look at ONE Super Bowl win from 10 years ago with Aaron Rodgers and think McCarthy was a genius.

When McCarthy left GB the players cheered in unison.

Look at the difference in what ex-players say about Rivera vs. McCarthy.

Hiring Rivera looks even better now with McCarthy going to Dallas.

I was afraid at first the Redskins were going to look at ONE Super Bowl win from 10 years ago with Aaron Rodgers and think McCarthy was a genius.

When McCarthy left GB the players cheered in unison.

Look at the difference in what ex-players say about Rivera vs. McCarthy.

My Cowboys' friends are all cheering this when a few weeks ago they were all wanting Josh McDaniels, Lincoln Riley, or Matt Rhule.

Now it looks like the Giants are going after Ruhle.

My Cowboys' friends are all cheering this when a few weeks ago they were all wanting Josh McDaniels, Lincoln Riley, or Matt Rhule.

Now it looks like the Giants are going after Ruhle.
First off.... friends? Really?

Second... Rhule at NYG could wow some people depending on what they do at WR. the one that would worry me the most going there would be Bienemy

First off.... friends? Really?

Second... Rhule at NYG could wow some people depending on what they do at WR. the one that would worry me the most going there would be Bienemy

Yes, Derek...I have a variety of friends with poor tastes. Or were you saying I don't have any...er...umm...

It's looking like Rhule is the front runner at this point. He was once a position coach under Coughlin there.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/05/how-matt-rhule-immediately-sold-himself-to-former-giants/amp/

Jim haslett would be a great coach for the Giants DC just saying

That's what we been waiting to hear.

I'm so excited about getting back to the 4-3. That just feels that Redskins football. You will not run on us .

Can you believe he was working for Merrill Lynch before going into coaching ? This speaks to me about his thinking. He worked to be successful in something besides football before being drawn back in .

It's not so much that we're "getting back" to the 4-3, since most of the defenses called over the past 5 years have looked more and more like a 4-3.

It's just refreshing to see a coach with a vision.

It's not so much that we're "getting back" to the 4-3, since most of the defenses called over the past 5 years have looked more and more like a 4-3.

It's just refreshing to see a coach with a vision.

And hopefully one who won't put our pass rushers on TE's in coverage.

I don't think a Morocco Brown comes in here after being hired and interviewed by Rivera and then goes out and cuts or trades players Rivera wants to keep.

Maybe once they establish a firm relationship you might see Rivera go with a GM on a move like that but not in Year 1.

Rivera is trying to establish HIS football operation and put his stamp on the product out of the gate.

Absolutely agree. And I think Rivera also numbers among those whose time has passed. I know! It's 2020. So let's hire someone to steward the defense who had great success in 2002 and 2003!

"Keep chopping wood"! Just don't let the kicker take a swing!

John Harbaugh is running a painfully simple scheme in Baltimore but the talent allows it to be effective.

Do you see Jackson's pass offense to be that diverse?

It's his feet that keep defenses off balance.

So while Harbaugh has perhaps the ultimate run/pass quarterback the overall play scheme is risk averse and very basic with plays going back to the 90's.

Over time there were some very innovative offensive minds like Coryell, Mouse Davis, etc and while they made their mark they did not win the Super Bowl.

A lot of the innovation you see today is the result of individual talent of the particular players.

Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, DeShaun Watson make fairly traditional offenses look reborn with their ability to make plays out of nothing.

That's the kind of talent I want to take at #2 .

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.