• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The New Washington Redskins Thread

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Let's use this thread to keep track of the massive changes going on within the Redskins organization.

Obviously, Ron Rivera has inked a 5 year deal as head coach. Jack Del Rio has been hired as Rivera's defensive coordinator in DC. There are conflicting reports that Eric Schaffer may be gone after the draft in May, but again, no one seems absolutely sure if that is set in stone. The status of other front office staff is also unclear. Santos was rumored gone, but that has since been retracted. Kyle Smith and Doug Williams future status is not known.

It has also been rumored that the entire training staff has been let go, although the team has not officially confirmed this. Some outlets are reporting that Larry Hess (head trainer) is gone.

Let's try to keep fact vs. fiction straight in this thread.

Head Coach: Ron Rivera
Defensive Coordinator: Jack Del Rio
Offensive Coordinator: Scott Turner
Special Teams Coach: Nate Kaczor
Head Athletic Trainer: Ryan Vermillion
QB Coach: Ken Zampese
OL Coach: John Matsko
WR Coach: Jim Hostler
TE Coach: Pete Hoener
LB Coach: Steve Russ
DB Coach: Chris Harris
Quality Control Offense: Luke Del Rio

Last edited:
Per Julie Donaldson, some of the staff will be retained...(Julie's tired, that's only 4 and Nate Kaczor is the ST coach being retained :))

Last edited:
Check that - Del Rio is official! Love this hire... and Del Rio confirmed Skins will be moving to the 4-3 defense.

Nm just saw your last sentence

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Keep me straight ST - I need all the help I can get :) Good to see you btw..

Ben Kotwica is a name I wish wasn't on that list. Guy just hasn't impressed me overall.

Ben Kotwica is a name I wish wasn't on that list. Guy just hasn't impressed me overall.

Kotwica left at the end of last season - that's an error in her tweet. Nate Kaczor is the ST coach and he's being retained. I think our ST unit was the best of the 3 this year - by far. He earned the re-hire imho.

Kotwica left at the end of last season - that's an error in her tweet. Nate Kaczor is the ST coach and he's being retained. I think our ST unit was the best of the 3 this year - by far. He earned the re-hire imho.

Absolutely. ST is arguably a strength. Part of that is that the floor of our talent has appeared to come up over the last couple years, but coaching has to be a factor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

All of the grief from Florio and other talking heads about Eric Schaffer I just don't understand.

Everyone was complaining that a financial and cap guy in Bruce Allen was making football personnel decisions here for the past 10 years.

Schaffer is off that tree, a lawyer and cap guy who has never held a football position.

Promoting him beyond his level of qualification to me only would have been a sign of continuing dysfunction.

I think Rivera recognized immediately the ramifications of the decision of who sits in the GM position and is taking a traditional NFL approach to filling it.

And that's what this team needs. No nonsense sober management. Just like the Steelers, Patriots, Packers, Seahawks and others have enjoyed in recent years.

For his first 10 years as owner Snyder tried every which way to reinvent how to build a winner EXCEPT the one that has worked best over time.

More recently there have been too many cooks in the kitchen.

Allen, Schaffer, Williams, Santos, Smith, Gruden and at times Dan were impacting decisions.

We need less Vice Presidents and Directors in the organization and more scouts and better assistant coaches.

Callahan is out per John Keim.

Callahan is out per John Keim.

I kind of had the feeling that Callahan might have been considering retiring, just from his recent demeanor.

Sounds like Kevin O'Connell has NOT been named OC, but will be interviewed so far from done deal.

Boone, as of 1 minute ago, Finlay is saying that O'Connell is still in the "interview" phase.
Wouldn't that mean it's not official that he's retained ?

Yes - just picked up on that - thanks for the heads up.

On Hilliard - first of all, the young WRs made great strides this season. We don't really know if that was simply due to their talent level, or if Hilliard was a big factor. Regardless, the HC has to have the staff he wants. So we may have to swallow hard and have faith he knows what he's doing.

Yes I think it was time for a new WR coach.
The lack of production over the years has been obvious at WR.
Some can point to McClaurin, but I honestly believe most of his success was due to McClaurin, not due to his position coach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.