• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Announce Ron Rivera as Head Coach

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
January 1, 2020

REDSKINS ANNOUNCE RON RIVERA AS HEAD COACH

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins today announced Ron Rivera as the team's new head coach.

“After several meetings with Coach Rivera, it was clear he is the right person to bring winning football back to Washington D.C.,†said Dan Snyder, Washington Redskins Owner. “He is widely respected around the league as a man of great integrity and has proven to be one of the finest coaches in the country.â€

With more than 20 years of coaching experience, Rivera is a passionate and skilled leader who has earned the respect of his players, coaching staff and the community. He most recently served as the head coach of the Carolina Panthers for nine seasons, where he led the team to three straight divisional titles and an appearance in Super Bowl 50. Rivera was also recognized twice as the NFL Coach of the Year by the Associated Press, in 2013 and in 2015.

“While I love the storied history of the franchise, I am focused on the future and excited for the opportunity to win football games with this talented young team,†said Rivera. “After meeting Dan Snyder, it was clear we are aligned in our passion for the game and he supports my vision to turn the team around. I look forward to surrounding myself with great people and getting to work.â€

Rivera began his NFL career as a linebacker for the Chicago Bears in 1984 and became a Super Bowl champion in his second season when the Bears beat the New England Patriots 46–10 in Super Bowl XX. Following nine seasons as a player, Rivera went on to be a TV analyst covering the Bears and college football. Rivera began his coaching career in 1996, ultimately serving on the coaching staffs of the Chicago Bears, Philadelphia Eagles, San Diego Chargers and Carolina Panthers where he earned the respect of players, coaches and fans alike thanks to his football prowess and his dedication to his players, both on and off the field.

In college, Rivera was a consensus All-American linebacker, at the University of California Berkeley, leading the Golden Bears in tackles in his last three years. He once held Cal's all-time sack and career tackles records and still holds the record for most tackles for loss in a season, set in 1983. Rivera was inducted into the Cal Sports Hall of Fame in 1994.

-REDSKINS-

Last edited:
OK, it's official. I'm onboard. I wish it was a different scenario, but it is what I wanted all along, Allen and Gruden gone!

All hail Riverboat Ron!

HTTR!!!

Reading reports he had no control over the 53 man roster in Carolina just game day roster. To me a coach needs some say in the 53 man roster.

I think a coach should have 53 man roster power when he earns it. Rivera has earned it. Gruden never did.

If he puts Norman back in the same scheme and Norman shuts up and comes prepared to play maybe that's not a bad thing.

But I still think the cap number would have to be reduced for him to stay.

I don't think it's a matter of desire or attitude with Norman, I think he's just lost a major step. I give Norman some credit - how many supposedly 'marquee' players could absorb getting benched in favor of guys off the street and maintain their composure. He really hasn't pitched a public fit or whined excessively about it.

I just don't know if he can still play. But I'm confident Rivera will determine that and decide what is best.

I like what I'm seeing so far! Add some quality position coaches and Schaffer's replacement and we're ready for the rebuild

RonBurgundy08_1080x.jpg

Am I the only one having flashbacks to the Shanahan hiring?

Seems if anything Snyder should be criticized for allowing Allen and Gruden to stay in place too long without results.

Before advocating for the drafting of Haskins in 2019 Snyder was nowhere to be found one blunder after another.

We drafted Scherff in 2015 to play RT, but he couldn't cut it in camp and was switched to guard. At No. 5 overall that is a failure. At #5 you are looking for playmakers or elite OTs.

In 2016 our top 2 picks Doctson and Cravens never really made an impact on the field before departing. Another major failure.

Letting Kirk Cousins go in 2018 for comp pick when we could have traded him for a #1 pick in the 2017 draft was perhaps the biggest blunder as he was already a productive asset.

So, instead of meddling Dan was neglectful in holding Bruce and Gruden accountable time after time.

There is a happy medium between having your finger on every move and giving someone carte blanche.

Hopefully he has learned that.

Bruce eroded a brand that took 30 years to build up and since it is Snyder's business the fault lies ultimately with him.

Last edited:
Am I the only one having flashbacks to the Shanahan hiring?

Nope.

If memory serves Bruce Allen was brought in primarily because Shanahan wanted him and Dan wanted Shanahan. He stuck around post-Shanahan because his name was Allen and he provided a nice buffer between Snyder and the public. Beyond that, we really have no idea how much of the front office decision-making was Allen and how much was Snyder. I don't know why anyone would think Allen was any less of a yes-man/sycophant than Cerrato was. The team's success rate certainly didn't improve from one to the other. I'm very interested to see who Snyder brings in at GM now, if anyone. If it's someone who has a history of smart moves and independent thought or if it's someone who isn't known to be much of a football mind but gets the title of GM anyway. That might give us a hint as to how 'different' things will be this time around.

But yes, at the moment, this feels very Shanahan-esque. We'll see.

Then let's hope Rivera is a better judge of managerial talent.

Already he has recognized that
capologists and lawyers don't make the best GMs

We won't see any "pet players" that's for sure.
This guy benched Cam Newton for not wearing a tie

Snyder clearly seems to have been unable to refrain from having his own 'pet players'. We'll see how that goes down with Rivera the first time Haskins or someone else runs to Daddy Dan to bitch about how wrongly they are being treated by the coaching staff. I hope it doesn't happen, but I am not confident it won't.

Rivera has a son who will be the OC? :)

He has a son who works for Disney. But it will actually be his daughter Courtney running the offense.

Don't worry. She played softball at UCLA.

We already have a better Defensive coordinator than anytime in the past 10 years

I agree with that. Best DC since Gregg Williams more than a decade ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.