• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Does Anyone Here Still Have The Passion They Once Had For This Team?

Beetlejuice

Dogaholic
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
I'm sure all of us remember the days when we'd drop whatever we were doing to make sure we watched the game from whistle to whistle. Worrying about certain opponents, getting fired up and talking trash, nearly getting in fights when someone talked shit about our team, and just being excited as anything to wake up on Sundays and watch our team.

The passion for me is gone now. If I never watched another game, I wouldn't even be sad. To me, the realization of that is what's sad. For me, the organization passed the tipping point. I won't ever pull for another team, I'll just stop watching football altogether, and that makes me feel some type of way.

The Redskins used to consume my life to an extent. Dan Snyder has destroyed the love I had. I've lost interest to the point where I don't know or care who we're playing half the time. The saddest thing now, is it's gotten so bad that fans of other teams don't even talk shit anymore. They find out you're a Redskins fan and they feel sorry for you, and some of them even apologize.

Is there anyone here who still has any passion for the team that even approaches a level you felt before?

Snyder killed much of the zeal. However, the NFL itself has become less interesting.

I know this board will close soon but I wanted to say I feel the same. Maybe this isn't just about the Redskins, though. I for one, despise and distrust all major social institutions, and it's hard to feel that way and muster the same enthusiasm for one of its most odious products. By product, I don't mean the game itself, or every player. Many players do shame their educational institutions, but so too, do those institutions shame themselves, and fans bring dishonor by even abetting such a crooked system (same in basketball) from high school onwards. The reality is, not only do players not reallyrepresent their area (nor are from there, usually) but many of us don't live in the area anymore. I believe it is this transience and the predominance of the commercial (present for decades but now a grotesque tumor) within this 'fandom' that makes people less attached as they age. How many of us even live very near family? How many of us live in the place we grew up? Some might, to be sure, but what exactly is a Nationals fan? Is that truly a DC 'fandom?' I think not. People are also a bit tired of the propaganda which, be it "eff yeah, new WAR!" or "diversity!" that every major social institution, corporation, etc. can't seem to stop engaging in (mostly for sending a market signal, pleasing their masters, making money from simps) so I imagine that weighs on us.

Also, I would actively discourage my son from playing football. His brain (I sincerely hope) would be more important than a corporate product. This sort of situation is becoming more common and I believe may necessitate changes that will ultimately result in less popularity (as has already occurred.)

Simple answer..... I still have a good amount of passion for the Redskins, because I still passion for the sport. Maybe I'm a sucker, but who would should I have passion for ? A Florida team because I live here... A home town team Giants & Jets..... If I didn't have a passion for my team, why watch the sport.

Not me. But the NFL in general has turned me off the last few years by condoning that kneeling crap and a few other things. Add that on top of dan snyder running the Skins into the ground and I barely care anymore

I feel a little of everything you guys said before me. The Dan has definitely buzzkilled my fanaticism, but I watch all sports far less now in my fifties than I did then in my twenties and thirties. I think life just works that way for most. Back then if the tv was on it was some sport, period. Now I just can't stomach regular season games of just about anything, and the reasons are always the same: too much commercialization, too much prattle just to fill air time from the pregame shows and game announcers, and too much childish behavior from these so-called "professionals." I'm just over it. The older I get the more aware I am of the value in spending my time wisely, and watching that stuff 24/7 ain't it.

I feel a little of everything you guys said before me. The Dan has definitely buzzkilled my fanaticism, but I watch all sports far less now in my fifties than I did then in my twenties and thirties. I think life just works that way for most. Back then if the tv was on it was some sport, period. Now I just can't stomach regular season games of just about anything, and the reasons are always the same: too much commercialization, too much prattle just to fill air time from the pregame shows and game announcers, and too much childish behavior from these so-called "professionals." I'm just over it. The older I get the more aware I am of the value in spending my time wisely, and watching that stuff 24/7 ain't it.

I agree in the main.

However, I do so love watching many things on my 75" smart OLED TV! And the golfballs I play now compared to 20 years ago. And.......

I verge a bit off center-line from the consumerism meme and more to the "the politiization of everything makes me want to break things" mindset.

Yes. It's still in there. Somewhere.

welllllll.....I remember hanging on every second during the Gibbs era. The matches between the Gints and Skins were titanic during that era. there was greatness....and it was there year after year. players didn't arrive and disappear nearly as quickly as they do now. teams had identiy. now it is FO's that have identities. there aren't great, lasting teams anymore. agreee that the sport has been commercialized beyond what is healthy for it in the long-run. hell....the SB halftime show often outshines the game itself. nothing like that first Jets/Colts drama! that was shatterering in much bigger etrms than anything the NFL can muster these days. it has outgrown its animating spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's no longer a passion; it is a painful addiction. Being a Redskins fan is like being a crack addict.
You know it's no good for you, it won't get better, but vague memories of incredible highs now long gone make it impossible to walk away even though you know you need to.

Simple answer..... I still have a good amount of passion for the Redskins, because I still passion for the sport. Maybe I'm a sucker, but who would should I have passion for ? A Florida team because I live here... A home town team Giants & Jets..... If I didn't have a passion for my team, why watch the sport.

The problem for me is I was obsessed with this team, which spilled over into an obsession for the sport itself. What Dan Snyder has done to the team has killed 99% of what I felt for both. If I'm not watching the Redskins, I don't see the point of watching other teams either.

It's sad for me to admit that I watched the Sunday night game between the 49ers and Seahawks (I hate both, but I'm a fan of Marshawn Lynch and wanted to see what he would do) and it was the most exciting game I've seen in years. The fact I enjoyed a game so much that had nothing to do with the Redskins, and between two teams I despise, just makes me sick.

I'm pretty much all out of energy for football. The Redskins are terrible and Dan Snyder is crushing the team's soul, but it's not really that. I just dont like the NFL anymore. It's a corrupt organization that blatantly plays favorites. The pointless rule changes. The feigned concern for player well-being. The ridiculous spectacles of national games, opening day, the superbowl, Thrusday might games ... its an unwatchable circus.

I dont enjoy any of it anymore. Maybe I could stomach it all if the Redskins were any good. Maybe not. We'll probably never know.

So no. Dont really care anymore about any of it.

On a similar note, I see the loons on ES are out in full force. They're amped up about how exciting the hiring of Rivera is and how things are finally going to turn around, etc.

I can't figure out if they're new and clueless, or just have short term memory. Dan Snyder has a 20 year history of swindling us with splashy hires to give us hope.

I'm never taking the bait again. You have to prove yourself to me before I get worked up, we've traveled this path before and we're still here. Walking in circles.

Marty, the ol' ball coach, Gibbs II, Shannahan....between them produced 1 playoff win, and a .420 win percentage in 11 seasons.

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.” - George W. Bush

For me, the passion is still there I guess as I do invest plenty of time into reading and talking about the team via BGO and other social media outlets. In addition, I do make a point of still watching the games each week for better or for worse.

The biggest change for me though is that I've lost the sense of enthusiasm while watching the team that I once had. I basically watch without emotion. That sick feeling I used to have for a week when the team lost a close game is gone from my existence. There is no sense of pride or euphoria either when we win anymore.

I guess that comes from knowing what to expect with the Redskins at this point in my life.

Ultimately, it's going to take three or four consecutive years of getting into the playoffs and gradually building as a franchise for that thrill of being a fan to maybe return.

Thanks Dan.

Hey...I'm as angry and frustarted as the next guy...especially with the stupidity that Snyder has conducted his stewardship with.

Buuuuuuut...at the end of the day...it's entertainment. If they become entertaining again and the political trappings disapapear....it becomes a nice respite FROM ALL THE OTHER BS IN OUR LIVES!!! :)

The SKins are supposed to bring relief from all the other nonsense going on in society. That is a valuable service - at which they have failed miserably for the last 20+ years. But, change can come fast. So, as I heard some talking head say today: "Dan, go off on your new toy boat for three years and let football people run the show."

Hey...I'm as angry and frustarted as the next guy...especially with the stupidity that Snyder has conducted his stewardship with.

Buuuuuuut...at the end of the day...it's entertainment. If they become entertaining again and the political trappings disapapear....it becomes a nice respite FROM ALL THE OTHER BS IN OUR LIVES!!! :)

The SKins are supposed to bring relief from all the other nonsense going on in society. That is a valuable service - at which they have failed miserably for the last 20+ years. But, change can come fast. So, as I heard some talking head say today: "Dan, go off on your new toy boat for three years and let football people run the show."

Probably the best person to ask for advice on maintaining your passion for the team, is someone with a username such as his ^

‘Frustarted' - the act of only beginning to feel frustration knowing an endless future of even more frustration looms.

I still have the passion, insomuch as I can't walk away from my childhood franchise. Nostalgia plays a big role in my life and rooting for and staying loyal to the team I grew up with is just part of who I am.

But I also feel the same way as you all do in most ways.

This season has been different for me. I watched all the games... but didn't watch all the games. I tuned in, kept the game on, would occasionally focus on the action, but generally used it as a backdrop while I cooked dinner or did other stuff. There were also times where I was ambivalent as to whether we would win or not. Those things are new for me as I've never been disengaged or ambivalent before.

With all the big changes, I wouldn't say I'm hopeful. If there are ever going to be changes, there have to be huge changes. So there's that. Probably the best things we have going right now are that we appear to be hiring intense old school coaches who will shake these players up, and we do have some exciting youngsters who *could* turn into difference makers and don't seem to buy into the losing mentality many of the vets seem to have.

My passion has taken a hit. How could it not. But it's still in there somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a similar note, I see the loons on ES are out in full force. They're amped up about how exciting the hiring of Rivera is and how things are finally going to turn around, etc.

I can't figure out if they're new and clueless, or just have short term memory. Dan Snyder has a 20 year history of swindling us with splashy hires to give us hope.

The media are doing the same thing, slobbering all over the place. Not much will change as long as Dan Snyder has his dickskinners in the pot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.