• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

RI: Shanahan expects Campbell to return to Redskins

@DCGoldPants

The Rookie
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/shanahan-expects-campbell-to-r.html

Shanahan expects Campbell to return to Redskins
Updated at 11:45

Quarterback Jason Campbell, who will become a restricted free agent March 5, will be tendered an offer this week, Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said today in a press conference at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.

He said, according to tweets by Jason Reid and Rick Maese, that he expects Campbell to be part of the team, although he wouldn't say what the tender offer would be. Shanahan expects a lot of competition at the quarterback position and said he expects Campbell to "be here."

Shanahan said that the coaching staff is continuing to evaluate players, adding that you need to see them in person, in camp, to know what they can do. He plans to attend college pro days himself and watch draft prospects in person since top quarterbacks aren't throwing in Indy.

Shanahan addressed other matters ...

Offseason workouts: "It's very important to show your teammates how hard you work." (via @Rich_Campbell) and "I want everybody to be as good a football player as they can be."

Which brings us to Clinton Portis: "Let's not talk about Clinton. Let's talk about the whole team." Shanahan indicated there will be a pre-draft minicamp.

On the Redskins and the NFC East: On where the Redskins stand in the NFC East: "It will be a challenge for us to get this organization back to where it's been."

He had little to say about the offensive, other than: "That was a battered group."

On defense: Shanahan says the team will use 3-4 defense but will use four-man front. He expects the defensive linemen to be very versatile

Calling the plays on offense: That will be offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

Buffalo thrills ... Shanahan says he gave strong consideration to taking the Buffalo head coaching job, but joked that his wife wouldn't live there with him because of the weather.

I'm cool with Campbell being back. I also think this means Shanny and Allen probably are seeing that taking a QB in the 1st isn't going to help in 2010, but a OL would.

On the Redskins and the NFC East: On where the Redskins stand in the NFC East: "It will be a challenge for us to get this organization back to where it's been."

No challenge to keep the Redskins where they've been. The Redskins have been at the bottom of the division for the better part of 19 years. The challenge will be to get them where they haven't been in a long time, deep into the playoffs and hopefully to a Superbowl.

Not surprised.

Shanahan is going to go OL in Round 1 because a couple of these guys are can't miss while there are questions about both quarterbacks.

To me this is about contending in 2012.

2010 we go from 4-12 to 7-9 or 8-8.

2011 we go to 11-5 and make the playoffs.

2012 is the year.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a late-round QB with potential, especially if Colt McCoy is available later on because of injury concerns.

As Mr. Rich Tandler has pointed out, Max Hall of BYU is another good late-round QB.

keep an eye on John Skelton of Fordham.

I watched him at the East/West Shrine game and he has an amazing arm and quick release. The problem that Todd Mcshay hinted was that he may have no work ethic like JaMarcus Russel.

But you put him in a system with a coach like Shanahan and a guy with with a great work ethic in Campbell and he could be a good talent.

Tebow probably won't be there in the 4th round, but Skelton might be there in the 5th.....maybe that's a player to watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.